Does grease have a sell buy date?

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
While mooching around a friends garage the other day I watched him apply grease from an ancient looking Castrol tin. He didn't seem bothered by the fact that the grease was years old. When I asked him the age of the Castrol grease he couldn't say but thought maybe ten years but probably more. Grease seemed OK and he says that he's never had any problems with his ancient grease. So can I "borrow" his grease without a quam?

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Prior to that it was decomposed dinosaur bones several hundred million years old.

So I guess a few years wont harm it.

Ps I'm using grease and chain lube from 1999.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a one-pound weight tin of Duckham's Lithium 10 grease that I bought when I got my first car in 1973 (a 1967 Mini 850, if you must know!) The L10 looks, feels and smells just like it always has done.

I still use the grease and I still have half of it left! :)

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Steve, you are one old sumbish. I'm using Lubriplate that I got from an elderly neighbor in about 1975. The ten pound can was OLD then, probably from the 50's. I still have enough that it will last the rest of my life.

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
They don’t make stuff like they use to. I still have an old Tap &Die set and a hand plane from my father. My younger brother must of got the grease.👍🏻

bazxa

Jan 18, 2022
Heathcote NSW Australia
Depends on the industry, for aircraft it has a shelf life and can't be used unless it can be tested & re validated. For general use I don't think it matters, however there are a lot of new special purpose greases that outperform the old stuff.

Hattori-Hanzo

Apr 10, 2023
UK
I have a tin of Castrol grease that was my father's, it must be circa 40 years old and it's still fine, nearly run out now though 😆

Dax

May 25, 2018
FoD
Did you check the best before on the bottom of the tin?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Most of the more critical bearing surfaces on our bikes are sealed cartridge bearings and the only ones that are likely to have to deal with heat are those in the hubs and freehub. So unless you are repacking a cartridge hub bearing what grease you use elsewhere is not critical although a lithium grease provides better water protection. The only exception I think is a freehub ratchet or pawl type. Grease for those needs to be low viscosity and have high adherence qualities.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Seems OK then. I'll nip back & help finish ye ancient old tub of Castrol.
P.S. Couldn't find a sell by date. Rust might have overtaken that.

MB1

Dec 28, 2019
Cumbria
It doesn’t have a shelf life at all. I worked in the Lubs business inc grease. It’s actually almost impossible to dispose of, the plants have tons of off spec stuff in barrels stored for years. As pointed out, the aviation products are the exception, they need regular re-certification as expected.

Straker

Jan 9, 2020
Wiltshire
While mooching around a friends garage the other day I watched him apply grease from an ancient looking Castrol tin. He didn't seem bothered by the fact that the grease was years old. When I asked him the age of the Castrol grease he couldn't say but thought maybe ten years but probably more. Grease seemed OK and he says that he's never had any problems with his ancient grease. So can I "borrow" his grease without a quam?
My inherited can of copperslip is from the 1950’s and at the current rate of usage is unlikely to get past the 2090’s.

theremotejuggernaut

Aug 2, 2022
UK
I was going to say that I'm still using some lithium grease from halfords that must be 15 years old but I can see that would be considered young by some of you lot 😂

If it still feels greasy, I reckon you're good to go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles