Do you go through a lot if rear tires?

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I've noticed I burn through tires faster on the ebike. Also probably because I'm riding a lot more in shorter periods of time and a lot of fast steep trails. Pretty much after 2 months the rear tire was getting fairly ragged.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
20240510_235030.jpg

20240510_235030.jpg

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Too much rear bias braking? I did this a lot on the steep stuff, worried about front wheel wash out so would mainly use the rear brake and drag the tyre down the trail 😂

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Depends on the conditions. In the alps or Canada I can do a tyre in 2 weeks. At the Fod I’ll normally get 5 years.

Tyre compound is also a factor. Maybe switch to something harder?

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I get between 300 and 400 miles on a DHR II. Sometimes I run 3C, Dual Compound, EXO, EXO+, it doesn't seem to make much difference. Dissectors give me considerably lower mileage.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I've noticed I burn through tires faster on the ebike. Also probably because I'm riding a lot more in shorter periods of time and a lot of fast steep trails. Pretty much after 2 months the rear tire was getting fairly ragged.
What is the tyre and which compound and pressure. Also what is the bike and your weight?

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Too much rear bias braking? I did this a lot on the steep stuff, worried about front wheel wash out so would mainly use the rear brake and drag the tyre down the trail

Depends on the conditions. In the alps or Canada I can do a tyre in 2 weeks. At the Fod I’ll normally get 5 years.

Tyre compound is also a factor. Maybe switch to something harder?
Yep all I'm doing is high speed double black canadian steep laps at cypress lol. Just annihilates tires.

I've tried max Terra and Maxx grip they both wear just as fast.

I think if I was doing more chill trails it would last most the year.

• Haha
Reactions: Dax

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Too much rear bias braking? I did this a lot on the steep stuff, worried about front wheel wash out so would mainly use the rear brake and drag the tyre down the trail 😂
Lol Actually you would probably get razzed for brake dragging on these trails the builders don't like that. I've seen plenty of riders do that because there not ready for that type of trail.

Drifting into stuff is pretty common though so I'm sure that wears them out faster

Last edited:

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
What is the tyre and which compound and pressure. Also what is the bike and your weight?
Currently dhr ii maxxgrip dh casing
38 psi in the back. Can't go much lower or I smoke the rim on big impacts.

Bike weight is 60lbs
My weight is 215lbs

Terrain is 90% steeper dh tracks. Average run is 300 meters sustained dh and I do around 4 of them when I go for a ride. Most trails your getting over 30kmh on some gnarly stuff in various sections.

Its probably similar to doing laps of upper/lower whistler dh at the bikepark.

arTNC

Feb 1, 2024
Texas
Even in my pedal-only bike days, I had to run DH level tires on the rear to get at least some tire life and hold off punctures. Riding in tough, rocky terrain in my home area, and even in places like Moab, Utah, I've almost always ridden big hit, long travel bikes like the Santa Cruz Bullit and Santa Cruz Nomad. Even trying various brand DH tires, the rears would live a relatively short life...but at least they stopped or seriously limited punctures in rocks.

I tried all the big name, respected brands, but I still find the DHR Maxxis tires to perform the best for me. There are other good ones, but I seem to get just a little longer traction life out of them, and they have held off punctures better for me. It has held up the same for me on my Trek Rail 7. Most of the emtb's out there are a little more aggressive in their travel and intended use, so it would seem logical that they would be tough on tires, especially the rear. I'm not so sure that it's absolutely attributed to the fact that they are emtb's...though I'm sure the added weight adds a bit to the wear.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Even in my pedal-only bike days, I had to run DH level tires on the rear to get at least some tire life and hold off punctures. Riding in tough, rocky terrain in my home area, and even in places like Moab, Utah, I've almost always ridden big hit, long travel bikes like the Santa Cruz Bullit and Santa Cruz Nomad. Even trying various brand DH tires, the rears would live a relatively short life...but at least they stopped or seriously limited punctures in rocks.

I tried all the big name, respected brands, but I still find the DHR Maxxis tires to perform the best for me. There are other good ones, but I seem to get just a little longer traction life out of them, and they have held off punctures better for me. It has held up the same for me on my Trek Rail 7. Most of the emtb's out there are a little more aggressive in their travel and intended use, so it would seem logical that they would be tough on tires, especially the rear. I'm not so sure that it's absolutely attributed to the fact that they are emtb's...though I'm sure the added weight adds a bit to the wear.
Yeah I guess it's just par for the course. We'll worth a couple extra tires to have a motor 😅

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Instead of Maxxgrip try Maxxterra, it's easy to tear the shit out of Maxxgrip rears. I have Assegai Maxxgrip DD on the front and after they get too worn move them to the rear which really does tear the shit out of them. I'm a 168 lb old bloke on a 56 lb Trek Rail btw

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
If you are a in a point sharp rock location you will terrorize tires regardless of if you are on an e-bike or not. I burnt a set of tires in one week in Tasmania doing shuttle runs on the mtb,

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Instead of Maxxgrip try Maxxterra, it's easy to tear the shit out of Maxxgrip rears. I have Assegai Maxxgrip DD on the front and after they get too worn move them to the rear which really does tear the shit out of them. I'm a 168 lb old bloke on a 56 lb Trek Rail btw
Yeah ive tried the Maxx terras as well. They still get torn up pretty quick. On my old Enduro they still got ripped up quick but I rode less so they lasted longer. It's prob cuz I'm riding more than I ever normally do now. I think im averaging 4000 meters of descending per week at the moment.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
Yeah ive tried the Maxx terras as well. They still get torn up pretty quick. On my old Enduro they still got ripped up quick but I rode less so they lasted longer. It's prob cuz I'm riding more than I ever normally do now. I think im averaging 4000 meters of descending per week at the moment.
That is an awesome amount of vert m per week. I dont think there's a magic bullet to fix smashing tires to bits on rough terrain. I guess you are going to become an online discount tire slut and just bulk buy tires when on discount. I'm using big betty supergravity on the back soft compound which is about the same as max terra. I probably get a little longer out of those because they have taller chunkier knobs.

Robstyle

Nov 17, 2021
New Zealand
I'm hard on rear tyres too. Throw a conti on there, they last forever even in supersoft. I think it's still harder than maxterra, according to my very scientific pinch test.
I've got an entire season out of a conti rear tyre on my dh bike, that's never happened before!

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
That is an awesome amount of vert m per week. I dont think there's a magic bullet to fix smashing tires to bits on rough terrain. I guess you are going to become an online discount tire slut and just bulk buy tires when on discount. I'm using big betty supergravity on the back soft compound which is about the same as max terra. I probably get a little longer out of those because they have taller chunkier knobs.
LOL I literally just bought four DHR II dh casing tires on discount 🤣. Nice I read about those tires they seem pretty good too.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
I'm hard on rear tyres too. Throw a conti on there, they last forever even in supersoft. I think it's still harder than maxterra, according to my very scientific pinch test.
I've got an entire season out of a conti rear tyre on my dh bike, that's never happened before!
Nice Ill give the conti's a try next time, some of my buddies like the kryptotals

RustyIron

Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
I just came in from changing out the DHR II that I've been running on the rear. It had 342 miles on it. I could have let it go a little longer, but it was getting squirrelly. I have a new replacement on the shelf, but I chose to put on a used Assegai that was no longer suitable for the front, but is in great shape for the rear.

Mrj35

Sep 29, 2023
canada
Got a front flat today, pressures around 32psi. Dh casing in front. Might have to set it up tubeless, was definitely smashing through some nasty rock gardens and compressions today.

Did around 1300 meters climbing, all black, double black dh. Took us around 2hrs with breaks.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles