did you order a bike and are still waiting? what's the holdup?

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
a number of riders out there have been waiting months, almost a year in some cases (like me) for the eeb they've ordered. i've heard a hundred reasons but i've lost track. what is it again? Shimano can't get metal? no chips for the EP8 motor? no shipping containers? ships all loaded up, but port workers on strike? something else? any economics and logistics majors out there care to share their insights into WTF is my bicycle?
thanks.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I don't get it, honestly I don't get the waiting game. I am totally impatient, If you already have a nice bike and this is just a treat then fair play. I have a nice bike but have decided when the new models arrive I am having one. To be honest I will Waite until they physically appear in the showroom.
If I didn't have a decent bike now I would have no allegiance with manufactures and buy the best available for my budget available on line. Still plenty out there.

thbo

Jun 30, 2020
Norway
I have a high-end emtb in shipshape so I’m fine, but I preordered the 2022 version in July for delivery mid-spring 2022. This gives me a discount and is common where I live because of ski season in between. This time I however got a notice saying there were severe logistical challenges and there might be delays.

I hope preordering a top-spec gives me an advantage, because I hear it’s the high volume components for the masses that is the problem from factories still not up to 100% (and depending on other factories etc.) in Asia, materials jumping in prices and being scarce, and too few ships out there still than pre-Covid-19. But hearing stuff like OP writes is disheartening.

Last edited:

jbv

Sep 7, 2021
Vancouver Island BC
so it's covid factory shut downs? factories burned to the ground? parts warehouse burned to the ground? parts warehouse closed due to workers dead from covid? i'm so confused.

#mitch

🦷 Tooth Fairy 🦷
Aug 23, 2021
New Zealand
To put it simply it’s a global shift in spending and habits overnight and workforces being sick and/or locked down. Nobody is traveling redirecting those billions/trillions into other stuff like bikes and other goods.
Lockdowns around the world have caused ports to get jammed up meaning the global shipping demand is through the roof. Which is causing a shortage of containers globally. Limited passenger flying has also massively reduced the airfreight capacity globally.
Redistribution of people around the world has also created house building booms.
Lots of extra cash floating around from govt handouts as well as a big bill Stockmarket.
Basically the world is upside down from where it was 2 years ago and it can’t be fixed overnight. Much like a traffic jam caused by a car crash.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
You want to be working in the construction industry right now! Nightmare with materials, logistics and labour shortages on top. I'm in procurement and work for one of the largest companies so we use our scale to get most of what we need but feel for the smaller guys.

I spoke to a local bike shop owner the other day and he thinks it will take 5 years for the bike industry to get back to normal but I am about to take delivery of my 2nd EMTB in a year so they are out there. You just need to be quick

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
You are lucky. Here we have all of the above PLUS Brexit!
We have full employment and a million job vacancies unlike some southern EU counties who have massive unemployment, particularly among the young. Also we have rising wages for a lot of people who have been very badly treated for a long time due to the EU's lousy policies. Now that the UK is becoming a happier country, I'm glad to wait a few extra weeks for a new bike.

pedrod355

Jan 24, 2021
UK
Does anyone know any online sellers with stock, looking for a e bike in a M around £2600 but can’t source

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My new R&M Delight Mountain. Ordered beginning August was forecast end Sept. now re scheduled end Oct ...no explanation .just hope it arrives before the mud season as that was the whole point of the Gearbox/belt drive set up.... most of it is made in europe so no Taiwan shipping delays .

Velo Mangler

Aug 8, 2019
Brevard, NC
Specialized offers 2021 models here in the states. I believe they are selling off 2021 models with no discount. We have no problem getting Levo's. Some 2022's are in stock. I can not justify the price of the expert or the S-works. You can buy a new KTM, Husky, and big 4 Japanese
bike for less money ride all day and have enough money left over for a cheesburger and brew.
And they don't rip rear derailleur's off.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Some weeks/months some factories work at about 50% capacity, so waves of covid travel
around the world and shipping is way slower so multiple problems = many delays.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I have been eyeing a Bikes Direct Hal e bike with a M600 Bafang motor since last year about this time. Ticked all my boxes especially the cheap one @ $3k.....didn't put down as they said it would be awhile before it was made so I just kept an eye on it and subscribed to their "heads up" deal.

Spring of 2021 was the initial goal and as winter was coming and I have a working bike I waited on it. End of February I cotacted them and they said late Summer. End of May I contacted them and they said December........I really was reluctant to put down the $3k after so much uncertainty on their end and figured I'd play it along some more.

Got a notice that now it was going to be known as a 2022 model but going up in price soon due to shipping and all the other crap going on with parts etc.. Still say 12/1 to 12/30 delivery and so I figured that actuallly might occur.

When I went to order the only bike that came up was a 46cm in the puke green color, I had been eyeing the black version.....ok I can live with the color I guess on to PayPal. Hit that button and immediate kickback that the bike is out of stock so I guess the entire run is spoken for and I am out of the running altogether. So it goes I guess and I'll be nursing my POS for awhile longer. Had a nice ride on it today out to the jetty and it still beats walking. I really want an M600 bike but Dengfu won't sell here in the US because of their agreement with Luna who made one batch and doesn't seem interested in doing another....

Problem is I don't really have a second best option and refuse to pay the going price for most of what's out there. At some point you might think that someone will come along with a current geo frame, alu is just fine, and motor/battery combo either as a frame or with parts good enough to get by with until they don't as upgrading is always an option. I see people on here do upgrades on 10k plus bike for christ's sake.

OK rant off and my disappointment of the day has disolved.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I have been eyeing a Bikes Direct Hal e bike with a M600 Bafang motor since last year about this time. Ticked all my boxes especially the cheap one @ $3k.....didn't put down as they said it would be awhile before it was made so I just kept an eye on it and subscribed to their "heads up" deal.

Spring of 2021 was the initial goal and as winter was coming and I have a working bike I waited on it. End of February I cotacted them and they said late Summer. End of May I contacted them and they said December........I really was reluctant to put down the $3k after so much uncertainty on their end and figured I'd play it along some more.

Got a notice that now it was going to be known as a 2022 model but going up in price soon due to shipping and all the other crap going on with parts etc.. Still say 12/1 to 12/30 delivery and so I figured that actuallly might occur.

When I went to order the only bike that came up was a 46cm in the puke green color, I had been eyeing the black version.....ok I can live with the color I guess on to PayPal. Hit that button and immediate kickback that the bike is out of stock so I guess the entire run is spoken for and I am out of the running altogether. So it goes I guess and I'll be nursing my POS for awhile longer. Had a nice ride on it today out to the jetty and it still beats walking. I really want an M600 bike but Dengfu won't sell here in the US because of their agreement with Luna who made one batch and doesn't seem interested in doing another....

Problem is I don't really have a second best option and refuse to pay the going price for most of what's out there. At some point you might think that someone will come along with a current geo frame, alu is just fine, and motor/battery combo either as a frame or with parts good enough to get by with until they don't as upgrading is always an option. I see people on here do upgrades on 10k plus bike for christ's sake.

OK rant off and my disappointment of the day has disolved.
Look at Giant they pretty much deliver as promised. Their Yamaha are very reliable, affordable and my LBS only asked for 15% deposit and does reimburse if late or does not fit.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles