Di2 Any Good. Who has it

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Looking into fitting di2 to my Focus Jam2. What is involved? I have picked up on cables are needed? Thought it is wireless.??
Ultimately is it any good???
So anybody who has it and fitted it, tell me your thoughts..
Thanks.

betti154

Oct 30, 2019
Sydney
I installed xt d12 on my sam2 a week ago.

Great upgrade for focus bikes as I think that gear cable routing above the motor makes it an absolute pain to change gear cable outer and the bends are aggressive.

My right gear shifter was faulty and sticking but I’ve replaced that now, seems good.

Logical upgrade on e8000 bikes as you only need shifter, two cables and deraileur. Install easy though I had to remove motor to do it.

Installing a battery on normal bike would suck. Gear number indicator is nice on display as i don’t fell I’m as in tune with gear selection on ebike as normal one. I’m relatively new to ebike too.

Shifts up and down are quick as hell, but I’m finding the shift up (to smaller cog) seems very violent on the chain when in trail or boost. It’s hard to back off the pedals enough to make an easy shift when the motor still has that follow through after you stop pedalling. This would be the same on a normal bike if you pedalled mega hard on up shifts but seems to be a concern with ebike power from motor (unless my setup is wrong).

Multi shift is nice up and down as is the beep when you reach either end of the cassette.

Not integrating the shifter into the brakes with I spec 2 is a big mistake by shimano for me. The shifter is ok but it’s not a match to normal shifter and switching bikes messes with head head. I’ve reversed the paddles in E-TUBE app to help,makes it closer to normal shifter actions to me.

I also needed the Stunlocker app (can use emax too) to hack system and tell it I had electrical shifting. Doesn’t work otherwise.

damien

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Damien
Thanks for the information.
The two cables where do they fit??
Is there a link online I could take a look at, or did you just work out the installation yourself?
Thanks

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Damien
Is there a link online I could take a look at, or did you just work out the installation yourself?
Thanks

You'll run one cable from the new shifter on your handlebars to one of the spare ports on the display.

The second cable you'll run from the new derailleur to one of the spare ports on the motor, under the left hand top cover (easy to remove and only exposes the cable ports). Depending on your bike/handlebars (size/internal or external routing)/display position you'll need something like a 35 or 30 for the display one and a 700 for the rear...... from what I remember of the cable lengths..

As @betti154 also says, you'll need to use stunlocker to configure the motor to Electronic shifting. Though you can do this at any point as if the system doesn't detect Di2 installed it will revert to manual shifting.

betti154

Oct 30, 2019
Sydney
Damien
Thanks

Installation is pretty strain forward as per description @Zimmerframe. For a Large Sam2, I used a 750mm cable from mech to motor (hub) and 200mm from rHS shifter to display (installed RHS of stem). Note however that I'm running a non-di2 Renthal bar and just ziptied cable under the bar. If you have a di2 bar/stem solution you'll need a longer cable, presumably the same the one on the LHS shifter.

I already had ST Unlocker and so that worked a treat. I read eMax software also works to change shifting type.

FYI - I'm using the KMC ebike chain as reportedly it's amongst the strongest out there and I suspect a necessary evil (cost) given the potentialy violent up shifts in boost mode. That said, I am getting better at anticipating the follow through of the motor (it's somewhat aligned with motor noise), and just try and avoid shifting up under power engagement in trail/boost.

Peterg

Apr 26, 2019
Uk
Yes, long cage from what I read was for use in combination with front mech.
Thanks.
Very tempted as there's great offers to be had. Around £400 gets what I need. Just in the back of my mind I am thinking if something hits the rear mech, it sounds expensive .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles