• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Hello, everybody!

Last week Eplus released his new speed unlocker for rim magnet. After months of waiting i was so happy until i found out they charge over 500€ and you have to send them your bike, because it's a "custom" installation. So i decided to make my own version and i bought all the the stuff (MCU, battery, transistor in order to drive the coil and so on).

Before starting i said " Ok, let me first figure out how the original sensor reacts to a magnetic field which is not the original one, let's make a simple test". So i removed the rim magnet and placed a small neodimium magnet on the front chainring (facing the motor). I turned on the bike and all was working. At 40 kmph Kiox displays fabout 15 kmph and motor keeps powering no stop.

At this point, surfing the net and I came up here and i found out megabora already had and successfully implemented my starting idea (Good work! :) ).

Did anyone else try to put a magnet on the front chainring? I mean, i had no error until now but it seems too easy... i won't be suprised to get some error in the future.

Hi Sam,

I tried the same thing originally, magnet on the chain ring, and confirm that it worked for me too. BUT! I was very nervous running it, simply because I figured it would be so easy for the motor to detect that wheel RPM always matches the cadence. Of course not sure if that would certainly have tripped a fault code, but the Bosch engineers wouldn't have been trying very hard if they let you get away with running it like that!

Another downside is the loss of useful information from the display as far as true trip distance/odometer/avg speed etc.

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
Not sure if this is the right thread to put this is but I got this video in my recommended a week ago, claims to increase power by 33% with a shunt mod. Of course the idea of pushing more power is interesting to me so I thought I would share it here maybe to see if anyone has done this before?

sam952802

Mar 21, 2023
Italia
Hi Sam,

I tried the same thing originally, magnet on the chain ring, and confirm that it worked for me too. BUT! I was very nervous running it, simply because I figured it would be so easy for the motor to detect that wheel RPM always matches the cadence. Of course not sure if that would certainly have tripped a fault code, but the Bosch engineers wouldn't have been trying very hard if they let you get away with running it like that!

Another downside is the loss of useful information from the display as far as true trip distance/odometer/avg speed etc.
Thank you for you reply.

What do you think will happend if the motor detetcts that the wheel rpm matches the cadence? A warnig, an error? I mean, something that could be canceled by turnig on and off the bike or will i have to bring my bike to Bosch service ?

Because at this point , if no "fatal error" occurs i will go for the small magnet, as the eletronic tuning with Arduino and coils also never shows the correct speed...

I would leave original setup as much as possible.

sam952802

Mar 21, 2023
Italia
Not sure if this is the right thread to put this is but I got this video in my recommended a week ago, claims to increase power by 33% with a shunt mod. Of course the idea of pushing more power is interesting to me so I thought I would share it here maybe to see if anyone has done this before?
Wow, over 700w and 70 kmph...that's a lot! I am wondering how healthy is for the battery and the motor ahah

Bengy22

Aug 25, 2022
USA
Wow, over 700w and 70 kmph...that's a lot! I am wondering how healthy is for the battery and the motor ahah
Well for the battery 22ish amps isn't a whole lot for decent cells, if someone has a small capacity battery you probably would want to check what cells are used but for the larger packs I don't honestly think it really will cause any issues. Of course though the extra power will lower range though. As for the motor it's surely going to cause more heat, as long as you are mindful that you are taking a 250w that was already pushing 600w and now its 700w+ (should be noted that with a peak 22a observed that could be well above 800w) and you make sure to not overheat it then probably will be fine. It's fairly common in the diy scene to push ebike motors 3-4x their rated power, just not indefinitely. And I'm sure any warranty you previously had is gone hahaha

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
Hello, everybody!

Last week Eplus released his new speed unlocker for rim magnet. After months of waiting i was so happy until i found out they charge over 500€ and you have to send them your bike, because it's a "custom" installation. So i decided to make my own version and i bought all the the stuff (MCU, battery, transistor in order to drive the coil and so on).

Before starting i said " Ok, let me first figure out how the original sensor reacts to a magnetic field which is not the original one, let's make a simple test". So i removed the rim magnet and placed a small neodimium magnet on the front chainring (facing the motor). I turned on the bike and all was working. At 40 kmph Kiox displays fabout 15 kmph and motor keeps powering no stop.

At this point, surfing the net and I came up here and i found out megabora already had and successfully implemented my starting idea (Good work! :) ).

Did anyone else try to put a magnet on the front chainring? I mean, i had no error until now but it seems too easy... i won't be suprised to get some error in the future.

Ha just had a look over Eplus' offering for the rim magnet unlocker. Funny, no correct display on the Kiox, no app integration and no ability to turn on/off remotely... sounds very familiar! I wonder if it's just a megabobra that costs 509euro!!

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
I'm not very technical so the method posted here would be too much for me.

Has anyone tried the Splug Dongle or the Eplus Mini Unlocker / Eplus Advanced?

My bike is a Whyte E-160 so disk magnet.

Didn't think the restriction would bother me too much but the trails I ride have a mix of downhill going in to uphill's or flats and hitting that 15.5mph limit coming out of a downhill section is getting quite annoying.

Last edited:

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Thanks Naagra. No there was no activation needed, just plug in and go. No cool down needed either like the speedbox 1.0. The simplek looks good! I never saw that one. Yes please keep us outdated on how it goes! I wish you luck :)
Hey slypanda, is the speedfun still working for you? I sold my Voima that had the rim magnet and I’m getting the new 23 Voima which now has the option for the using the external speed sensor and brake rotor magnet which I opted for. I’m not planning on using a Bosch display if I don’t need to, so if the speedfun is still working and doesn’t require a display, I think I’ll try that one. If It’s not working, does anyone have any recommendations for a non diy system for the newest smart system with the integrated controller and wireless mode selector with the brake rotor magnet wheel sensor and doesn’t require a display?

Maciekh

Apr 1, 2023
Poland
Speedbox works fine, my friend bought riese muller with bosh smart system and u locked it with speedbox (Czech company i guess)

Onetime

Aug 10, 2022
Cali
Speedbox works fine, my friend bought riese muller with bosh smart system and u locked it with speedbox (Czech company i guess)
Does the speedbox require a Kiox display? I don’t want to use a display, so that’s one of the reasons I was looking at the Speedfun. And it doesn’t have a count down either, just plug it in and ride apparently.

Last edited:

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
1CEC1F53-2E99-4E24-8B5C-251BDB02AF41.jpeg

Prototype is ready 😁 and working now i have to make it fit and finish Things up 👍

Maciekh

Apr 1, 2023
Poland
Does the speedbox require a Kiox display? I don’t want to use a display, so that’s one of the reasons I was looking at the Speedfun. And it doesn’t have a count down either, just plug it in and ride apparently.
Im not sure, check at their website.

Well for the battery 22ish amps isn't a whole lot for decent cells, if someone has a small capacity battery you probably would want to check what cells are used but for the larger packs I don't honestly think it really will cause any issues. Of course though the extra power will lower range though. As for the motor it's surely going to cause more heat, as long as you are mindful that you are taking a 250w that was already pushing 600w and now its 700w+ (should be noted that with a peak 22a observed that could be well above 800w) and you make sure to not overheat it then probably will be fine. It's fairly common in the diy scene to push ebike motors 3-4x their rated power, just not indefinitely. And I'm sure any warranty you previously had is gone hahaha

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
I have testen it today on the bike (patron eride 920) the magnet seems to react on the reed switch but i see 0km/h from what i have Read here it must be because i use the usb Port from the Arduino with A(powerbank )to power everything , is that correct ?

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
I have testen it today on the bike (patron eride 920) the magnet seems to react on the reed switch but i see 0km/h from what i have Read here it must be because i use the usb Port from the Arduino with A(powerbank )to power everything , is that correct ?
That's right - the USB power alone isn't enough to run the electromagnet. You need to supply external power, from the bike battery for example, through either the Vin (direct from bike) or 5v (through 5v stepdown regulator) pads.

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
That's right - the USB power alone isn't enough to run the electromagnet. You need to supply external power, from the bike battery for example, through either the Vin (direct from bike) or 5v (through 5v stepdown regulator) pads.
Thanks for the info :) also i Think that my magnet on my disc brake is not strong enough its like the ones you put on A fridge they always move on my brake discs 😅 got A Magnet with my reed switch but it was way to big, it always Gets stuck in my frame 😅 i think neodymium Magnets Will be A lot better and A better fit also 😅 also Nice solution you have found, i was getting frustrated with the Rim magnet 😂

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
I powered the Arduino with A powersupply directly to the arduino tried to test it by giving the electromagnet on the outside of the engine on different locations but got no speed reading . I see on youre pictures that you Squeeze them between the frame and the engine. They need to sit really precise and on A exact location then ? I think my engine would be harder to place the magnet my engine sits different then most bikes (see picture) dont know if you can give me an indication where the sensor would be based on the picture.

5C96DFE8-6C30-4E35-949C-A5BA5B1DE9E0.jpeg

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
I would try externally the place where the square is, in the picture. If it works you can place it inside through the battery opening. (If you try it in all different locations and it does not work you have to amplifie the magnetic field)

Attachments

• patron.pdf
    106.1 KB · Views: 178

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
I would try externally the place where the square is, in the picture. If it works you can place it inside through the battery opening. (If you try it in all different locations and it does not work you have to amplifie the magnetic field)
I tried it but @ no succes but it was with A code with flashes the magnet at A set interval i Will try with the original code if no succes i Will boost to 12 v maybe i Will have more succes thanks for the help btw ! 😀

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
I tried it but @ no succes but it was with A code with flashes the magnet at A set interval i Will try with the original code if no succes i Will boost to 12 v maybe i Will have more succes thanks for the help btw ! 😀
A few things to check;
  • Is your magnet rated as 12v or 5v? If 12v, the 5v output will be in sufficient
  • Can you detect the magnet engerising at all? Use the tip of screwdriver or a paper clip over top of the magnet as your spin the wheel - you should feel it tug on/off
  • As Stratosa suggested, get the magnet working from outside the frame first then worry about the final placement. When mine was mounted externally, i had the magnet facing towards the motor. When mounted internally, I had to turn the magnet around (facing away from motor) to account for the lesser distance.
  • I've marked a position on your photo where I suspect the magnet will need to sit.

Capture.PNG

megabobra

Jul 24, 2022
Australia
A few things to check;
  • Is your magnet rated as 12v or 5v? If 12v, the 5v output will be in sufficient
  • Can you detect the magnet engerising at all? Use the tip of screwdriver or a paper clip over top of the magnet as your spin the wheel - you should feel it tug on/off
  • As Stratosa suggested, get the magnet working from outside the frame first then worry about the final placement. When mine was mounted externally, i had the magnet facing towards the motor. When mounted internally, I had to turn the magnet around (facing away from motor) to account for the lesser distance.
  • I've marked a position on your photo where I suspect the magnet will need to sit.

View attachment 110960

Actually, just looking at your image (and thanks Stratosa for pointing this out): does the Scott Patron use a rim magnet?? I can't find any images of one with it fitted...

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
Hello, looking to derestrict my bike, does anyone have any good options? Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 2023 Electric Bike – e-bikeshop.co.uk
Cube Hybrid Pro 625 2023, has the Bosch Smart System, spoke magnet. I've heard lots of mixed reviews about the Speedbox. I want one that will be reliable, It doesn't even need to be fully unrestricted I just wanna go more like 20-23mph.
Although there are many options seems that no one can reach the 1000Km barrier without error codes. I have asked the question , If anyone with bosch smart system reached more than 1000Km after derestriction, and i had only 1 positive answer from someone who knew somebody who had a friend that he made it, all the others were negative although some came close to 1000Km. (people that sell the chip do not count)

kacsa

Apr 3, 2023
Cheshire
Although there are many options seems that no one can reach the 1000Km barrier without error codes. I have asked the question , If anyone with bosch smart system reached more than 1000Km after derestriction, and i had only 1 positive answer from someone who knew somebody who had a friend that he made it, all the others were negative although some came close to 1000Km. (people that sell the chip do not count)
How about a Badass box? I'm not sure if it is compatible with my sensor but it might be a good alternative.

Uktonyb77

Feb 19, 2023
Uk
Solution on here is very undetectable within the system. Majority of other chip providers also link in on the kiox display line. Maybe that’s why they become detected and throw up errors. Or very simply majority of the 3rd party chip suppliers are using sub standard parts onside there fancy casing with poor quality control. If a control board failure occurred on any of these 3rd party chips then of course the Bosch system would have a fit as it wouldn’t see the speed sensor or worse interruption occurs within the system controller / kiox link out. So I guess is it that the chips are being detected ? or is it simply the third party suppliers are charging the end user “us” for poor parts and assembly therein which fail in a very short length of time. I suspect it’s the latter as I believe mega’s solution has done many many miles now 😉

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
How about a Badass box? I'm not sure if it is compatible with my sensor but it might be a good alternative.
Ask if anyone with Badass reached 1000KM after installation. Be carefull . People respond about the old, easy to derestrict bosch system, make sure that thet are talking about the new bosch smart system. (people that sell the chip do not count)

Last edited:

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
A few things to check;

View attachment 110960
My magnet is rated @ 5v my magnet gives perfect pulses already testen it with A knife i tried it externaly with A fixed pulse that i wrote on the arduino but i Will test it this weekend with the original code and reed switch i think indeed that i need A stronger magnetic field cause when i use A normal magnet (and move by hand) i get signal but first i wil try it again with youre code and if it doesnt work maybe i Will boost the magnetic field with A mos fet . I don’t know why but my bike doesnt make it as easy as yours 😅

9D8FFBBE-6E47-47BF-A3AD-01EBEC774950.jpeg

Last edited:

Timothyvvvv

Apr 1, 2023
Belgium
Actually, just looking at your image (and thanks Stratosa for pointing this out): does the Scott Patron use a rim magnet?? I can't find any images of one with it fitted...
Not al Scott patrons use rim magnets mine is model 2022 guess I was really unlucky to get the version with te Rim magnet instead

3DF8218C-C338-4B21-819B-C83490C8BA16.png

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
My magnet is rated @ 5v my magnet gives perfect pulses already testen it with A knife i tried it externaly with A fixed pulse that i wrote on the arduino but i Will test it this weekend with the original code and reed switch i think indeel that i need A stronger magnetic field cause when i use A normal magnet (and move by hand) i get signal but first i wil try it again with youre code and if it doesnt work maybe i Will boost the magnetic field with A mos fet . I don’t know why but my bike doesnt make it as easy as yours 😅

View attachment 111041
if you see 0km/h as you said then its not from the code, its from weak magnetic field.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles