• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

Derestricting bosch smart system

Planemo

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 12, 2021
Essex UK
Towing a heavy load can overheat the battery and motor causing it to protect itself.

It was a 504 (speed tamper) error. Not an overheat/overload one.

Do you have any actual data showing planatery gears don't work.

You're the one trying to prove something (although I'm still not sure what). I would suggest you try and find an example of a planetary gear working without errors on a Bosch Gen 4 or Smart system.

Pantofla

Apr 18, 2022
Czechia
They have, and they work. Please don't spread misinformation
Everybody knows the box to derestrict the smart system works very good, with some exceptions that have production quality issues.

And except a very uncommon smart system that still has a with wheel magnet.

People with the right education, experience and attention span know.
Do they really work? I saw a video of Speedbox for bosch smart and there were plenty of comments about it not working properly (504). So far I havent seen any reliable kit for smart system, not even expensive 300 eur ones work properly.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
At least 2 of my riding group run the speed box in the smart system, they kept failing at first but now seem to be working fine.

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Please tell the +-10 you know of, that we are very curious to hear their experience.
No I won't, didn't I already mention they all work good?

At least 2 of my riding group run the speed box in the smart system, they kept failing at first but now seem to be working fine.
That's what you can also see in the Youtube comments. As good as all complaints are >5 months old

Pantofla

Apr 18, 2022
Czechia
What about official video from Speedbox (installation instruction) on youtube. There are many comments from people, that their bike stopped working after a ride, after 120km, after 300km... There is even comment, that even in bikeshop they weren't able to remove their 504 error. I mean it cleary works for some people. but doesn't work for everyone. People that had their apps disabled (didn't update) had issues. 300 euro is a lot of money for something, that might stop working after few rides, and can shut down the motor.

Pantofla

Apr 18, 2022
Czechia
Take a look at the date of those issue comments, most of all >6 months old.
Yes, but the newest comment is month old and the guy bought it 2 months ago.
Also as far as I know speedbox itslef cannot be updated in any way (this applies to the "B" version too). So I don't understand how it started working without issues for some people. Did they buy newer chip that has been fixed?

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
There are a number of possibilities. Any device that appears on the network needs an ID and hacking designers may have found one that the controller will accept............until the next time the Flow App is used........and it is then disabled or the motor put into limp mode. You can bet the Bosch software designers will be the first to examine any new hacking device and whilst they may be one step behind early adopters they will catch up with a fix.
As far as fooling the speed sensor is concerned I understand Bosch offer the facility ( only via a dealer) to do away completely with magnet/sensor rear wheel arrangement, and have speed monitored by a device in the motor. That being the case, that device may not in fact be redundant unless enabled by a dealer, but in fact operational as a comparison check (as opposed to being the device that actually regulates the top assisted speed) . That makes eminent sense when you consider Bosch et al committed to defeating derestriction and the most common method whilst the Smart System was in development, was in one way or another messing with the speed sensor.

Last edited:

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
There are a number of possibilities. Any device that appears on the network needs an ID and hacking designers may have found one that the controller will accept..........
Hey man, you are completely wrong, again.
That de-restricting device isn't on the network at all. Learn the basics please before spreading confusion and misinformation

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
I think you are promoting speedbox, but nobody in this forum can admit that using speedbox, or any other device, worked.
Yes Alu Hat, I'm payed by Smart system Speedbox,
but most of my income I get from Alex Jones to promote Chemtrails and Reptilians.

Weren't you the guy who was too stupid and/or lazy to tell how many wires the speed sensor on your unusual spoke magnet smart system has ?

Last edited:

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Think I would want more confirmation than 1 new forum member whose total of 5 posts only relate to Speedbox........which according to his own posts he only installed 2 weeks ago.

stratosa

Apr 17, 2020
GREECE
but most of my income I get from Alex Jones to promote Chemtrails and Reptilians.

Weren't you the guy who was too stupid and/or lazy to tell how many wires the speed sensor on your unusual spoke magnet smart system has ?

No, i am not the stupid and/or lazy guy you are looking for.

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I’m definitely not promoting them, I don’t actually run one myself but ive rode with 2 people who have them and they work fine, I’ve even rode one of the bikes and can confirm it worked.
I think if you buy a chip I think you would just have to accept that one day it might not work?

slypanda

Oct 6, 2022
Cardiff
Just a quick update, 250 Miles with the speedfun so far, still no errors or issues. Absolutely the best modification I could've done to my bike. Money well spent :)

Recommended (y)

319623331_1202052924058975_6157609819436465332_n.jpg

slypanda

Oct 6, 2022
Cardiff
WE

After eleven months since this post was created, It is time to accept that there is not such thing as derestricting the new bosch smart sytem (may be because of the GPS)
I've derestricted mine quite successfully thanks :) Honestly, it's got like no reviews but it works, SpeedFun all the way!

slypanda

Oct 6, 2022
Cardiff
I dont think it has anything to do with the type of speed sensor/magnet. The Bosch Smart System uses an ultra fast network system which enables far greater volumes of sensor data to be monitored by the controller with ease and is therefore fully capable of determining whether cadence, torque, speed, and watts delivered by the battery fall within normal criterea as set by the firmware in any given mode. that would mean it is capable of identifying any form of device that breaks that formula. All the bike brands have committed to do all within their power to prevent derestriction but some are constrained by their existing firmware/network. That is almost certainly not the case with the brand new Smart System.
Hasn't detected mine yet and it's 250 miles later

slypanda

Oct 6, 2022
Cardiff

This one?

Hadn't heard of then yet.
Price seems a lot lower than the competitors.

Happy for you that it works well !
Yeah that's the one, seriously surprised it works so well!

BeBiker

Aug 26, 2020
Belgium
Good to know there is competition now.
The people I know/came across all had this one (I think)

SwampNut

Oct 26, 2022
Peoria, AZ USA
This is expensive, but I trust and recommend the company:

I did their Shimano unlock (which is software only). It worked great. I had a minor issue and got absolutely fantastic support. And before the sale, my questions were met with EXTENSIVE and very detailed answers, rather than just a short blurb.

Motohawk75

Dec 30, 2020
U.K.
I've tried 3 different Speedbox chips. None of them worked more than 150km. I also had the updated version. 2 of them was B version, one was non Bluetooth. Last one gave me manipulation detection and then I gave up.

Now there is Peartune version on the market. Its either it or Volspeed next one to try.

Thats a real shame. So far i can only see at best a handful of people for who the speedbox has worked for more than 100 or so kilometres……. Keeps us posted on peartune 👍

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles