Dengfu E10 - The CHEEB V1.0 - Discussion

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
I have a theory that my M500 is only running at 12 amps.

the highest I’ve seen the Watts on the display is 580w.

it’s a 48v system
48x12=576

The controller should be good for upto 25 amps but if I can get it up to around 18 amps then it’ll definitely be at the level of the top competitors putting out 864watts

I’m in touch with Bafang, via MOSHON-E in the U.K. - first thing is to determine what amps my controller is set at.

if I can unleash the amps on the controller then that would be the dream!
Rob, the error you got during testing, what did you think cause it and can it be avoided?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Yup reality and calculated can be quite different. We have used Samsung 35E for some time and with the higher cut off voltage ( mainly voltage sag in the last stage of charge, seems to be tripping the lower limit on the BMS before actually reaching it ) we seem to get only around 3000mA per battery. To be fair we are only using them in 2P and 3P and the 5P Dengfu battery will prevent most of that. Sad to say but the original Samsung 30Q that we had been using, which are only rated at 3000mA, seem as good as the 35E's as they have a much punchier overall max amp rating, which at lower volts seems to stop most of the sag.

Just to throw an alternative in, we have been using the later 21700 Samsung 40T's, they are really good in this application and when they say 4000mA, we are getting that and a tad more. Now just think about 13 in series x 3 rows ( parallel ) gives 750Wh for only 39 batteries. Even better on paper are the 50T's which would give about 900Wh's for only 39 batteries. Next batch we buy in will be these. Bare in mind there's about a 10% increase on overall pack volume ( using comparable 3P ) with the 21700 series, but why they are not being used already I can't really understand.

Last edited:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Muddy times for the E10

IMG_0253[1].JPG

Manitunc

May 18, 2020
Florida
I agree about how eMTB pricing has gotten out of hand.

If that new Bafang is even better than their old BBS conversation motor, then you may be in for a treat... because they are dead silent and grunty... and easy on the battery - consistently outlasting my Yamaha system.

I expect the benefits of your lightweight build + a full fat motor to bring in dividends in increased mileage.

So glad you’re doing this build!

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Hi are you running 27.5 or 29er wheels I am not sure what to go for
I tend to run 27.5 front and rear in the winter to keep COG low and love the fat squishy tyre grip of a wide 27.5 on the front, in the sloppy conditions we see here in the UK.

As soon as the speed ups a bit in the summer, I tend to fit a 29er 2.4 - 2.6 on the front as that lovely squishy feel in the winter, suddenly becomes feeling like you constantly are on the edge of a flat tyre. 27.5 on the rear as there's a ton of room and as I'm short in the leg, I don't want to ruin my leg over capability :) + a 2.8 or 3" rear on 27.5 is just less in diameter as a 29er 2.6".

MotoX bikes and Enduro bikes have well established smaller diameter fatter wheels in the back, skinnier larger diameter on the front + longer travel suspension on the front.

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Cheers I have both sets of wheels so will see when it turns up how long have you had your frame have you had any problems?
I bought my frame in September, but I have only ridden it a handful of times. Its my first ever new frame in 35 years of mtb riding and this year with all the lockdowns, the foot traffic together on every path and trail with record rain and very little wind to dry, has meant every trail is a mudfest. My E10 has been parked up in favour of my converted Whyte, which has already endured 6 years of mudfest every winter and is now past any chance of winning a beauty contest shall we say, ready for the summer. Mud and hard slog in the wet, is extremely abrasive on new toys.

Having ridden it again today, after having used only the Whyte for the last 3 months, it was quite interesting to concur that the frame is very similar to the Whyte frame "feel". When I first looked at buying it I compared it to my fav the T130 - T129 frame geometries and if you took the medium sizing, it fits into a slot mid between a M & L in the Whyte, with almost identical angles.

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
By the way, i'm not able to understand what means "Cheeb"... Can someone help me? Bulky? Fat assed bike? Or something else?

Edit: alright, Chubby on Urban Dictionnary. didn't know this word.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Just a heads up, Bafang have been in touch. They are looking at the firmware of my motor.

I highly suspect it’s quite detuned and providing only around 12 amps at the moment.

I’m hoping they can provide new firmware to unleash a bit more power for the Cheeb ?
Having watched your video review about the Bafang I was surprised about it being gutless. Hopefully the revised firmware gives it the oomph we’ve come to expect from Bafang.

RyeNiel

Jan 4, 2021
Philippines
Just a heads up, Bafang have been in touch. They are looking at the firmware of my motor.

I highly suspect it’s quite detuned and providing only around 12 amps at the moment.

I’m hoping they can provide new firmware to unleash a bit more power for the Cheeb ?
Good to hear this

PadreParada

May 13, 2019
Madrid, Spain

Great News. Keep us updated on this, because there are a lot of us that need to decide whether to go for the M500 o M600.

patdam

Jan 17, 2019
france

VIP privilege Rob. It is the minimum in regards of your contribution to promote M500.

To me basic user they have answered "not possible" at me request to parameters adjust. I am also a lot curious to know how we can communicate with the controler. It is possible via bluettoth or it is necessary to use BESST tool (to me they have said it is not useful for final customer) ?

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Great News. Keep us updated on this, because there are a lot of us that need to decide whether to go for the M500 o M600.
There's muttering in other forums of having to drop back to older versions of the firmware before one can shall we say, get American speed limits on the M500. Bafung have tightened up on what parameters can be changed as the M500 is considered a EU market motor in later firmware versions. Now an American version is 45kph, on the M600.

The good thing with the Bafung motors once they do get out into wide release and in numbers, its not long before revised firmware appears. Its a shame Bafung just does'nt say, you over write the factory firmware and you have no warranty and make the firmware protocols reasonably transparent.

memtb

Jan 2, 2021
england
Bloody hell what a massive hassle it all seems. The hold ups and shortages seen here seem the same reasons mainstream shops dont have new stock.
Like anyone normal is going to go through this planes,trains and automobiles show to get one.
As for the limp motor I would imagine it is done for longevity . Will it last more than a couple of months at full power? Or explode in a pile of metal shards?
Look forward to the full power long term test.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana

They may send you their BESST tool, which I used to do a firmware upgrade on my M600.......it's a bit cludgy but it works. You hook it up to your PC and in line with the cable going from display to the controller, etc.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles