Decoy Elite Size Question

Common

Apr 5, 2021
SVK
Hey riders!

I am about to pull the trigger on decoy elite, which is currently available only in size S in EU and I am little bit worried it will be small for me. YT's sizing suggestion for S size is 154 - 164cm. I am 171cm / 5.6ft tall and I currently ride 2015 Canyon Spectral 7.0 EX in size M but I changed stem to 35mm and handlebars to 800mm and moved saddle little bit to front. Based on this I assume that S size could fit me, event though reach is 20mm less but stem is 15mm longer than what I have on Spectral. Thoughts?

I am attaching both geometry tables below.

Spectral:
Canyon-Spectral-Geometry.png

Decoy:
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 17.55.01.png

ichauchtt

May 14, 2020
Switzerland
I can only say that in comparison to other brands I looked at, YT seems always to be on the small side. Where I would buy an L for other brands, I have an XL for the Decoy.
Also, a friend of mine rides a Decoy size L, he is 180cm tall and could easily ride on the XL.
I guess it really depends on your own "body geometry" and personal preferences.

I hope that helps.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I tend to "size up" if I'm not sure on bike size. I prefer to shorten cranks and stem, and move the seat forward a little if I feel the bike is slightly too big. It's a tough decision, as I was having a similar conundrum with a Commencal that I've just ordered.

When I bought my first YT bike in 2015 the opposite was true. The bikes back then were a little larger than other bikes, and I downsized, but luckily I could test ride different sizes at the time. But, the YT showroom that was near me is no longer there.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I just took a look at the specs of the medium Spectral. They are very similar to the medium Commencal. I'd say if you are happy with the sizing on the medium Spectral (even with a few tweaks) then you definitely don't want the small Decoy. I ride a Decoy medium and I'm going to get a medium Commencal, even though the Commencal has bigger dimensions for the geometry:

The reach is quite long on a medium Commencal (about the same as a large Decoy) so I'll definitely be getting a shorter 30mm stem.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
I can only say that in comparison to other brands I looked at, YT seems always to be on the small side. Where I would buy an L for other brands, I have an XL for the Decoy.
Also, a friend of mine rides a Decoy size L, he is 180cm tall and could easily ride on the XL.
I guess it really depends on your own "body geometry" and personal preferences.

I hope that helps.
This is my worry... I just ordered the Decoy Elite online for January delivery. I am 178. Just ordered yesterday and was thinking of heading to San Clemente the Mill and sizing one to see if they can maybe modify my order if needed. The problem is I have short legs and long torso. Is the reach shorter than normal?

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
I just took a look at the specs of the medium Spectral. They are very similar to the medium Commencal. I'd say if you are happy with the sizing on the medium Spectral (even with a few tweaks) then you definitely don't want the small Decoy. I ride a Decoy medium and I'm going to get a medium Commencal, even though the Commencal has bigger dimensions for the geometry:

The reach is quite long on a medium Commencal (about the same as a large Decoy) so I'll definitely be getting a shorter 30mm stem.
How tall are you?

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
I'm 5'9 with a 29 inside leg and the L fits me perfectly. The 150mm dropper is the perfect length and the bike doesn't feel too big. I was concerned about the sizing but went with the recommendation on the site plus the many forum recommendations for sizing up, I'm so glad I did.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
Thank you. I just checked my Bronson today and I rode a large in that bike. The reach is perfect at 475. Given the large decoy has a reach of 449 might be a little small. Considering the xl but will not tell until I actually sit on one

rondre3000

Jun 15, 2021
San Diego
This is my worry... I just ordered the Decoy Elite online for January delivery. I am 178. Just ordered yesterday and was thinking of heading to San Clemente the Mill and sizing one to see if they can maybe modify my order if needed. The problem is I have short legs and long torso. Is the reach shorter than normal?
You will want to get on this ASAP. In some model/size combinations, order adjustments are no longer possible. They are already sold out. I am 5'10", currently ride and LOVE the fit of my Yeti SB130. However, for my first ebike I was unsure whether the size XL Decoy MX model would feel odd. Reach is slightly shorter, but stem length was also longer. I visited The Mill last week and an XL MX model would work out fine for me. I also pre-ordered both a size Large and XL Decoy 29. Sitting on the size L 29 version it was immediately apparent that it felt a bit too cramped for me.

My advice would be to compare reach and top tube measurements first for your seated and standing fit. The other geo numbers will help you figure out how it will ride.

Brocstar

Jun 11, 2021
San Diego
You will want to get on this ASAP. In some model/size combinations, order adjustments are no longer possible. They are already sold out. I am 5'10", currently ride and LOVE the fit of my Yeti SB130. However, for my first ebike I was unsure whether the size XL Decoy MX model would feel odd. Reach is slightly shorter, but stem length was also longer. I visited The Mill last week and an XL MX model would work out fine for me. I also pre-ordered both a size Large and XL Decoy 29. Sitting on the size L 29 version it was immediately apparent that it felt a bit too cramped for me.

My advice would be to compare reach and top tube measurements first for your seated and standing fit. The other geo numbers will help you figure out how it will ride.
Thank you

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
Hey guys! Which size do you recommend to 6,2/189cm and 35in/89cm inseam?

Not sure if XXL is so long for me but XL I'd need to get the dropper out a lot.. (seat tube appears to be quite short on all sizes)

jene

May 12, 2021
Zaragoza
XXL. I am 5'10" (179cm) and ride an XL and I would prefer a touch longer reach on the MX bike.

Thanks for your help.. What kind of trails do you ride dude? The point is that all decoy sizes have a seat tube distance pretty short. I mean XXL is only 495. But reach and top tube distance on XXL appears to be too large for my body geometry (indeed I guess XL could fit perfect to me) so it could be so difficult to move the XXL bike on tight curves...

Definetly i don't want to buy a size which I had to get the drop post quite out (perhaps on XL) but also I wouldn't buy a size too large to move it on tight singletracks (perhaps XXL)... I'm on a big deal

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles