Coil on Decoy Elite

Billyc

Jun 21, 2020
Chichester
Anyone put a coil on a Decoy Elite? If so which one and what was the outcome in terms of ride feel?

91DF768A-DC91-4F9E-A4A5-97A35230BB25.jpeg

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I just put a Push 11.6 on my Decoy CF Pro. Great upgrade. Now, how about that Fox 36 which I seem to have destroyed...

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Pulled the trigger and also bought a Ohlins TTX M22 coil shock tuned by TFtuned. Will arrive next Wednesday.

p.s. that the UK just left the EU makes dealing with UK quite a bit complex especially returning goods for maintenance. If you are not carefull you will pay each time to customs :(

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
I've put a Formula MOD on mine and I love it. So supple and supportive. Gives lots of pop when needed, but the main thing that improves the ride and control is the way the rear tracks the ground, just so planted.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
Marzocchi Bomber coil for me, 3years on now, never go back to air, soooo much plusher! Also bought from TFTuned sent to me in France. Also fitted Vorsprung Smashpot coil fork conversion which is ace, only had a Yari to work with, so a big improvement!

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Yeah the Ohlins TTX is on the bike. First (flat :( ) ride yesterday. Might be wishful thinking but I could feel much more support, like it was not sagging so much. Cannot fully explain it yet, have to ride more. Increments of the dials are very noticeable. Just one click and you feel the difference. Unlike anything I have experienced so far. So much looking forward trowing it of a mountain now :). Pic coming later

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I have a Decoy MX Core 2 coming and I am very interested in a rear coil, especially the Ohlins. Is the proper size for this bike a 230mm x 65mm? I am 245 with gear and still also not sure what spring rate to get......I think a 550 pound spring would be ok.......

Any input would be appreciated!

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
Check the TFTuned spring calculator. I'd say a 550 would be OK for you, but if you hit bike parks/large drops/cases etc., I'd go for maybe a 600-650.

Thanks...the TFTuned spring calculator calls for 541 (so 550). I do like to jump and such but I would say I don't get big air or anything. 600 might be best though if I can find one....

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Thanks...the TFTuned spring calculator calls for 541 (so 550). I do like to jump and such but I would say I don't get big air or anything. 600 might be best though if I can find one....

I'm also 245 with gear on. TF tuned advised a 600lbs spring. TFtuned and Ohlins online calculator said 571lbs spring. There is about 5 kg playroom. I can still get 30% sag when I sit without gear , water and such on the bike.

CRFan1

Dec 2, 2020
NW Indiana
I'm also 245 with gear on. TF tuned advised a 600lbs spring. TFtuned and Ohlins online calculator said 571lbs spring. There is about 5 kg playroom. I can still get 30% sag when I sit without gear , water and such on the bike.

Thanks...that's good info.!

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
Decoy Elite, couldn't ever imagine riding it without coil anymore :love:

View attachment 76333
Have a Decoy Elite and want to upgrade to a coil shock as well. Thinking of going with the same model Push you are using. Not a big jumper or rock garden rider any more. How does it handle small bumps and rutted trails? Also been riding Michelin E-Wild's on my Elite which I really like. Noticed your tire combination. How do you like them? My Decoy is set up more as a dh rig so not worried about climbing characteristics. Any input would be appreciated!

GSuperstar

Feb 24, 2021
United Kingdom
Have a Decoy Elite and want to upgrade to a coil shock as well. Thinking of going with the same model Push you are using. Not a big jumper or rock garden rider any more. How does it handle small bumps and rutted trails? Also been riding Michelin E-Wild's on my Elite which I really like. Noticed your tire combination. How do you like them? My Decoy is set up more as a dh rig so not worried about climbing characteristics. Any input would be appreciated!

The best way to describe it is like running on a mattress. I had a 2021 DHX2 prior and loved that shock, then got this and it's blown it out the water. However that could just be because it's perfectly set-up for the suspension curve etc of the Decoy.

It has 2 settings, I have one for full blown DH which I ride most, and one for trail riding. Both feel completely different but amazing on all scenarios. I rode BPW last week in the wet, mostly woods and the technicals and it just stuck to the ground, very confidence inspiring!

I never got along with the E-wilds, not sure I gave them enough time maybe as others seem to rate them high. I'm running Magic Mary upfront and Big Betty rear, definitely slower rolling than my Summer Setup (Assegai / Aggressor), but rode all of North Wales in wetttt conditions and they were awesome on everything. Grippy on climbs, and definitely good for the downs. I know some run this combo all year round so going to see how they feel when it dries up, as I really did like my Maxxis combo :)

No mine are full Shimano Saint. 220mm upfront and 200 rear :)

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
The best way to describe it is like running on a mattress. I had a 2021 DHX2 prior and loved that shock, then got this and it's blown it out the water. However that could just be because it's perfectly set-up for the suspension curve etc of the Decoy.

It has 2 settings, I have one for full blown DH which I ride most, and one for trail riding. Both feel completely different but amazing on all scenarios. I rode BPW last week in the wet, mostly woods and the technicals and it just stuck to the ground, very confidence inspiring!

I never got along with the E-wilds, not sure I gave them enough time maybe as others seem to rate them high. I'm running Magic Mary upfront and Big Betty rear, definitely slower rolling than my Summer Setup (Assegai / Aggressor), but rode all of North Wales in wetttt conditions and they were awesome on everything. Grippy on climbs, and definitely good for the downs. I know some run this combo all year round so going to see how they feel when it dries up, as I really did like my Maxxis combo :)

No mine are full Shimano Saint. 220mm upfront and 200 rear :)
Thanks for the feedback! Will go with coil shock and give the Magic Mary/Big Betty combo once my E-Wilds wear out. Please share feedback on how you like them when it dries up in your area.

Jeffsy29

May 6, 2020
Rockville MD
Anyone put a coil on a Decoy Elite? If so which one and what was the outcome in terms of ride feel?

I have Decoy 29 Pro (not Elite) and converted from DPX2 to Bomber CR with Avalanche tune rear coil (650# spring). I could never get the DPX2 to feel right. At 330-335 psi just to get sag right, there was little left in terms of ride quality.

Even the bone-stock Bomber CR was a major improvement for me over DPX2 in every conceivable way other than "poppiness" (I'm heavy at 265+ lbs geared up).

Ava-tuned Coil has WAY more support throughout the range, stability under chatter, traction in the wet and reduced harshness. It's not as "poppy" as air if you're a serious pumper over everything, you might miss the liveliness of air. But that may just be my weight and damping required to accommodate a rider of my mass.

Adjustability is spot-on with the Avalanche tune. Their 'basline' settings are customized to your weight, bike and style. So you're really in the middle of adjustability compared to a stock product.

Duece

Jan 18, 2021
San Diego, Ca. US
Have you made any changes to the factory settings after receiving from Push?
I slowed the rebound by one click but that was it. There are other settings for the Decoy on the
Push site that I thought I would try but it rides so well no need to. The important part is to be honest with your riding style when ordering the shock then it should be setup fine.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
I slowed the rebound by one click but that was it. There are other settings for the Decoy on the
Push site that I thought I would try but it rides so well no need to. The important part is to be honest with your riding style when ordering the shock then it should be setup fine.
Same

Singletrackmind

Sep 17, 2020
San Diego, CA
So after getting some nice technical dh rides in along with some more All-Mountain & choppy rides, VERY happy with the ride quality and feel of my Decoy. Played around with various psi settings on the DSD RUNT I installed same time as Push ELEVENSIX coil and feel totally spoiled with how well the bike performs. The Runt is legit with the High & Low air chambers and it really compliments the rear coil shock. Been really liking my new Yeti 160e, but the confidence I feel and performance of the upgraded Decoy is hard to beat. So far, left the original Push setting that were based on the input I provided to them. Think I will leave the standard factory fork/shock on the Yeti since I use it more as a trail/all-mount rig. Hoping YT provides a bigger battery option on next gen Decoy but I don't forsee my duck leaving the stable for quite sometime. Appreciate all the feedback and comments frim fellow Decoy/coil shock rider's!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles