Decisions, decisions...

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
So, after much deliberation, going backwards and forwards and comparing every ebike known to man, I managed to snag a dirt cheap Vitus e sommet VRS for £3200 from wiggle. Insane deal and I was absolutely buzzing about it.

However...while I was deciding I really liked the canyon spectral on, it ticked most boxes, but I ruled it out as there wasn't quite enough travel and it had a Shimano ep8 motor. (Going for the vitus you can sacrifice it for that price). So, what do I find out today, the brand new canyon strive:eek:n has been released and it looks mega, in every sense, even better they are using the Bosch motor with a 750wh battery. Everything on the base model will do for me, it's coming in around £5700 including bigger battery and the shipping.

So my question to you is, should I stick the Vitus, as I'm sure it's more than capable for everything I'll be doing and ticks most of the boxes OR do i cancel the order and go for the canyon instead, bearing in mind its about 2.5k increase in price but upgraded in every way. I can afford it but I'm not exactly flush with cash. Just thinking if I'm going to buy one to last, will I be forever replacing the ep8 motor on the vitus? Only ever see bad reviews about them since I have purchased the Vitus! Thanks in advance.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Stick with the Vitus, it is still good for all the reasons that you chose it. People make a fuss about Shimano motors. But personally, I haven't had a minute's bother with either the e8000 or the EP8.

Generally, there will always be a better bike out there, a better deal that "if only I'd waited" you could have had instead. That way lies madness, close the door on looking for the better bike for at least six months. By then you will have ridden your first emtb, got to know it well and will know what to look for next time. You never know, that Canyon may have been pronounced a heap of shit by the time you come to buy your second emtb. :unsure:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When I have to make a binary decision, and I have tried all the usual rational methods of decision making yet still can't decide, this one never fails.

Assign the Vitus to one side of a coin, the Canyon to the other. Thumb toss the coin high and catch it (no peaking). Decide in advance whether you will just open your hand or slam it down. Decide in advance that you will 100% accept the result!

Upon the reveal, ask yourself "Am I pleased?"

If not, buy the other one!

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
This is exactly what I needed to hear brothers. Have been thinking about it most of today and really sat on the fence. But it's true, technology is moving at such a rate year after year the next best thing comes out on an emtb and there's always going to be better. We are in 2023 and I see people are moaning the new canyons don't have ABS 😂 we really are getting spoilt these days.

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
When I have to make a binary decision, and I have tried all the usual rational methods of decision making yet still can't decide, this one never fails.

Assign the Vitus to one side of a coin, the Canyon to the other. Thumb toss the coin high and catch it (no peaking). Decide in advance whether you will just open your hand or slam it down. Decide in advance that you will 100% accept the result!

This is pure genius.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK

I do exactly the same.

(As long as it has a Bosch motor ;))

mastakilla

Apr 25, 2020
usa
So, after much deliberation, going backwards and forwards and comparing every ebike known to man, I managed to snag a dirt cheap Vitus e sommet VRS for £3200 from wiggle. Insane deal and I was absolutely buzzing about it.

However...while I was deciding I really liked the canyon spectral on, it ticked most boxes, but I ruled it out as there wasn't quite enough travel and it had a Shimano ep8 motor. (Going for the vitus you can sacrifice it for that price). So, what do I find out today, the brand new canyon strive:eek:n has been released and it looks mega, in every sense, even better they are using the Bosch motor with a 750wh battery. Everything on the base model will do for me, it's coming in around £5700 including bigger battery and the shipping.

So my question to you is, should I stick the Vitus, as I'm sure it's more than capable for everything I'll be doing and ticks most of the boxes OR do i cancel the order and go for the canyon instead, bearing in mind its about 2.5k increase in price but upgraded in every way. I can afford it but I'm not exactly flush with cash. Just thinking if I'm going to buy one to last, will I be forever replacing the ep8 motor on the vitus? Only ever see bad reviews about them since I have purchased the Vitus! Thanks in advance.
u should def do the canyon, bosch motor, carbon frame, its a no brainer, way better bike

Last edited:

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
There will be always a better bike or a better deal.... just around the corner.

Get the vitus and ride it like you stole it.

In a year or 2 think about an upgrade.

What I do once i buy something, I stop looking at the alternatives and deals available. I've made my decision now I live with it.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
That is a great deal!

I'd stick with the Vitus, just hope the motor is OK, worst case if it goes and they can't get a replacement just get a refund on the bike and get something else.

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
Stick with the Vitus, I have personally never rode a bad ebike, not sure if you would notice much difference although that does depend on what kind of riding you do.
I like to hit jumps and drops. Not fussed about how I get up the hill but prefer downhill and poppy trails

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
There will be always a better bike or a better deal.... just around the corner.

Get the vitus and ride it like you stole it.

In a year or 2 think about an upgrade.

What I do once i buy something, I stop looking at the alternatives and deals available. I've made my decision now I live with it.
That's probably where I went wrong, doing too much research on newer bikes after I bought the vitus 😂 since posting this thread I've gone from 50/50 to 35/65 towards sticking with the vitus

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
That is a great deal!

I'd stick with the Vitus, just hope the motor is OK, worst case if it goes and they can't get a replacement just get a refund on the bike and get something else.
Wise words indeed, not sure where I stand if the motor breaks and I've used and abused the bike though

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
That's what warranties are for, I have never had one with mine even though a few months old when bought so far good.
Yeah I meant regards to refunds, if they could honour it if the motor was defect and the rest of the bike was beaten up if it would be a full refund

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
That's probably where I went wrong, doing too much research on newer bikes after I bought the vitus 😂 since posting this thread I've gone from 50/50 to 35/65 towards sticking with the vitus
Yeah, my wife does it all the time.... gets pissed an better deals after she has just bought something. Why bother? at the time that deal was good and thats what you wanted. Job done.

However, If you can back out of it..... maybe its not to late to change your mind. The new Canyon looks solid.
hahahah, im not helping at all.

You have to battle your own demons and see what the winner is!

Side note. I have just hit go on the Pole Voima. Been agonizing about that for months. Looked at so many different bikes, different spec options..... ahhhhh! No i have a few more decisions to make... what forks will go on it.... wheels.....

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
Yeah, my wife does it all the time.... gets pissed an better deals after she has just bought something. Why bother? at the time that deal was good and thats what you wanted. Job done.

However, If you can back out of it..... maybe its not to late to change your mind. The new Canyon looks solid.
hahahah, im not helping at all.

You have to battle your own demons and see what the winner is!

Side note. I have just hit go on the Pole Voima. Been agonizing about that for months. Looked at so many different bikes, different spec options..... ahhhhh! No i have a few more decisions to make... what forks will go on it.... wheels.....
😂😂😂 This really isn't helping my case, was full on talking myself to stop being such a b1tch and just get out riding. Aluminium is the way forward and I've saved myself £2500. Job done. End of.

That canyon though 😍😍😍😍

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
😂😂😂 This really isn't helping my case, was full on talking myself to stop being such a b1tch and just get out riding. Aluminium is the way forward and I've saved myself £2500. Job done. End of.

That canyon though 😍😍😍😍
Good, ride it like you stole it and dont look back

Chairman

Feb 25, 2022
Nz
Afraid I'm another one in the Canyon camp. I completely understand where you are at but if you don't do it you will definately die wondering
Appreciate that is not helpful at all. Good luck

Endoguru

Aug 21, 2019
Usa

I agree with others here. I have owned 3 shimano motor bikes, 1 e7000 and 2 e8000, and have a Kenevo SL with zero motor issues. I ride my bikes a lot and don’t baby them. No motor problems on any of the motors. My brother still owns the e7000 motor bike and no problems for him either. One of the guys I ride with just bought a bike with the new Bosch motor and it completely failed in the first week. If you read the threads you would believe some motors never have issues and others are worthles. ALL motors are potential problems. It is what you sign up for with ebikes. I personally wouldn’t buy a bike with my primary focus being which motor it has. Geometry and quality of the bike manufacturer as well as after purchase support are most important.

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
So I decided to stick with the vitus, for financial reasons mainly. I managed to pick up a used fox float x2 to replace the standard shock that comes with it.

Turns out wiggle sent the bike to completely the wrong warehouse and it still hasn't arrived, I made a complaint through their system and took a few days for them to get back to me and agree to refund my postage but I've argued that's still not good enough. Waiting on them to get back to me and we shall see where I go from there... I'm in the mindset of keeping it as long as it comes it good condition and there aren't any issues once I actually get it. I know we all make mistakes, so got to give some slack but as a direct ebike sales website you would expect better.

samjlevy

Jan 27, 2023
Manchester UK
How did you manage to get it for £3200 by the way? I want to get my wife a bike, this would be ideal and I can use it if mine breaks down. Was ideally looking for something Bosch, but for that price and the spec on the bike, it’s a very very good deal.

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
How did you manage to get it for £3200 by the way? I want to get my wife a bike, this would be ideal and I can use it if mine breaks down. Was ideally looking for something Bosch, but for that price and the spec on the bike, it’s a very very good deal.
Wiggle had an offer on all ebikes with something like 10% discount and I added a code at the time WIGGLE15 to get another 15% off everything. Failing that if you know anyone with a blue light card/NHS card or maybe student discount I'm sure you can get 15% off that way

weza_1

Apr 26, 2023
Lincoln
That's interesting, about 2 weeks prior to buying the bike i saw they were on offer on chain reaction and I was gutted I missed out on their sale, hence why I snapped their hand off when I saw the price on wiggle. They might take it in turns putting bikes on offer so maybe just keep an eye out.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles