Decision time - and the outcome is...

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I think many people should wake up. Lots of Yamaha trouble free happy owners including me with my 2017 and lots of trouble 2018, 2019, 2020 Specialized bikes at the shop, not working and even the working ones have poor range due to that energy sucking belt. They are not ready. Yamaha has been ready for years. They were first with Emotors and that shows.
Came across a 2019 Giant today when out on my extended lunchtime ride - 18km in on his first ride and he had a major failure. All the lights on but no power from the motor. Thing felt like it had run a bearing the way it pedalled with no assistance but can't have been as it was too smooth and no weird noises. I am thinking electronics with possibly a reverse field somewhere. A lot of pushing to get back to the trail-head for the poor guy.

33red

Jun 12, 2019
Quebec, Canada
Came across a 2019 Giant today when out on my extended lunchtime ride - 18km in on his first ride and he had a major failure. All the lights on but no power from the motor. Thing felt like it had run a bearing the way it pedalled with no assistance but can't have been as it was too smooth and no weird noises. I am thinking electronics with possibly a reverse field somewhere. A lot of pushing to get back to the trail-head for the poor guy.
I am sorry. I think you understand Yamaha is kind of open. What failed was Giant electronic. Mine is all Yamaha a Haibike 2017. All good sofar at 2,828km. In Canada Giant offers good support. I find Giant chainstay too long for where i ride and my style but i read many riders are happy.

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
With the "New" Yamaha motor pending, it will be interesting to see if the software upgrade can be applied to the older Yamaha motors. supposedly the only upgrade is software. Currently 2018/2019 bikes with the Yamaha Motor are on special all over the place in New Zealand (particularly Wellington). If you can upgrade these motors to the new spec they become, "one hell of a deal". only thing missing really would be the larger battery

Rich-Baillon

Jul 19, 2019
UK
Ridden a few Ebikes, Bosch, Yami and Brose motors and with out doubt the motor on the Levo 2019 is the most natural feeling, quietest and easiest to adjust to personal tastes. So will put up with the occasional visit to my dealer if needed as opposed to riding some of the other Ebikes I have tried TBH. As a new owner reliability of motor and battery + cost of replacement is a concern though especially when you have just splashed out £7.25k.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles