Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
Changed the grips, went tubeless with new tires and it's just like I needed/wanted it to be (apart from some purely visual details I'd change in the future)!
View attachment 37366
View attachment 37367

No wonder why some where saying they had to stand on the Smart Sams to get them off the wheel, I never struggled that much to change some tires!!!

For those who changed their tires on these wheel, did you guys hear the expected pop indicating that the beads set properly? Didn't get that pop, on neither of the wheels but yet it's inflated, no leak and the bead line is showing as it should... Rides normally, no issues but I don't know if I should expect an issue or not.

I see Gary came back for a bit of a debate here, and like others, I really think you're missing the point as well:

Not one person who went for a Stilus is claiming that this bike is as good as some of the best e-bikes on the market. But no-one is saying that for you to have it perform nicely you'd need to spend £1.1k of upgrades as you are suggesting either.

Get a proper saddle, some pedals, eventually some grips (I had to change mines due to a specific wrists pain, but some seem to be fine with the ones it came with), and the bike is very capable already.
Capable enough for what many people will want to do with it anyway.

And then, later if you want to go further, but only then, you can think about another fork, going mullet, etc... But you do not have to do it, the bike is absolutely fine as it is!

Yes, you got a great deal, but the Stilus is even cheaper, and is just enough.

I'll push the reflection even further, skip that part if you don't care, hahaha!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-> If i'm honest, I've seen so many people getting crazy expensive bikes and they are far from using these at their full capabilities (the bike's capabilities, not the people's ones ;) ), so what is the point? And I'm not just talking about people essentially riding on cycle paths and fire roads.
At least with a Stilus they spend less and many won't feel that much of a difference.

But even for me, and I won't claim to have the riding level of a professional but I've been riding for almost 30 years, competitions back in the days and just leisure now, in Brittany but also in the French Alps and now in the Scottish Highlands so I can't say I'm inexperienced either, well even for me this bike is already all it needs to be at that stage, because of what I come from.

Bikes (componentry, geometry etc...) have evolved so much, even the fork on this Stilus feels great to me, as average as some would say it is.
But the trails we're riding haven't really changed! Some DH riders actually tend to say they aren't as brutal as they used to be, and not just because of the bikes.

Before going full-suspension I've ridden BMX bikes on the trails (race frames, not the freestyle ones obviously), hardtails, fully rigid mtbs, and even an old road bike with its original thin road tires when I was a growing kid (my parents didn't have the money to get me a new and relevant bike every time my frame of the moment was getting too small).
And I would still jump and I never stopped having fun! But it definitely taught me how to deal with challenging terrain on any type of bike.
And even after I went for a full-suspension bike... well you guys have seen that old bike I've shown previously on this thread... :D

For me, all these expensive components you find today are almost gadgets, they aren't required!
They make it smoother, easier, make it perform a bit better, sure, but even the cheaper parts on the market these days, as long as they are reliable, are waaaaay enough for what most people do with their bikes!
Let's be honest, unless you're a professional pushing to shave a few seconds off your best time, you don't really need them.

And that is what this bike offers, a great value for money and hopefully reliable full-suspension e-bike. The rest is down to the rider more than the bike itself.

I will, eventually, upgrade the fork and go mullet as it's been suggested on here before, but not for a matter of quality, just because there is this promise of an even "funnier" bike, but I still believe that most of the fun you get depends on your type of riding, not the bike you use.

From that perspective, and provided it's been assembled properly (I won't deny some have had issues, but the mechanic at the Decathlon workshop did a great job for me), the Stilus is indeed an e-bike with a great value for the money, and when it comes to full-suspension e-bikes, it might even well be the best value for the money out there just now, Platinum Discount or not ;) .

We just have that bad habit of (sometimes almost frenetically) buying stuff because it's better than what we have already, we always need the new one. But is it really necessary, I'm not sure.
Hi no the replacement tyres did not make the popping noise on inflation, but no issues in last 2 weeks..

Alienaddy

Aug 2, 2020
Manchester
This message has now appeared on the Decathlon website, even if they have the bike in stock now now it wont let you add it to the basket. Looks like I'm gonna have to keep going to the local store to see if i can get one!

Annotation 2020-08-05 152305.png

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
I have just been informed due to the amount of bad feedback the bikes are getting not being built up correctly and some actually being dangerous , decathlon have stopped online orders going directly to the customer . So now it seems these bikes will now be checked thoroughly. My bike in question was an absolute joke with the star nut half in and half out the tube . Crank arms falling off , brakes needed a proper bleed . Gears not indexed . They have offered me compensation as they did initially tell me to take it to a bike shop and they would cover costs Until I stated I was not prepared to wait 10 days to have the bike fixed when I can do it myself and at least I would know it’s done properly and torqued properly with proper tools .
There emailing service is not much good though as you can’t reply to there reply’s as it’s sent via a not return email address .

574F8FFA-D588-43F5-AA7D-F36039921396.png

Bobajobbob

Aug 5, 2020
Kent UK
I've almost given up trying to buy this bike.

I'd appreciate suggestions for a similar alternative specwise and pricewise (up to 3.5k) that actually is in stock for delivery somewhere?

Thanks

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Wondering if could pay off waitting for the new model (in developing process by decathlon as I uderstand) !?

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Mine's sat in the garage unused for the next eight weeks. I'll rent it out for £500/hr. Form an orderly queue.

Buzz720

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Hey, can someone please tell me the length of the rear thru axle on the decathlon stilus. I broke the thread on the quick release trying to get it off. So would like to get a new one, for when i manage to get it off!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am in France at the moment and went to my local Decathlon here, which is pretty much football stadium sized mega store, and they had sold out of all bikes, yup not one bike on the floor - also sold out of all but a few kids helmets, and most of their cycling kit, the cycling section had truly been stripped bare and they said they weren’t expecting new stock for a while.

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Why are you even on this page ? ... if you havent got anything positive to say just get lost . you have done nothing but slate this bike from day one and you dont even own one ..

you sir are just a Troll on this page ..

and i have dealt with it as i fixed it all myself .. great bike now though , plows through anything and i have to say its actually more playful than my kenevo expert was .. fitted with lyrik Rc2 forks now (ALREADY OWNED) ...

Last edited:

Killswitch73

Sep 15, 2018
West Midlands
Get him told! He’s a bloody Stilus basher! He needs E lynching.
he's got nothing better to do than come into a thread and bash the bike . that in my book is just trolling !

I guess hes bored of being in his own Vitus group as it not very busy at all .

To be honest Decthlon have been very very good in dealing with the situation and they did explain the situation to me via email also and it was out of there control .. i have it on good sted now that all other bikes coming will be checked over thoroughly . They could not be more apologetic . and im fine with that .

My missis loves her Stilus and even i like it ..

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm not bashing it. or trolling and I'm certainly not sad enough to be favour of one bike brand over another.

Lighten up, eh? ;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles