Decathlon STILUS Full Suspension Electric Mountain Bike - SRAM SX

Jamze

Jun 30, 2020
Oxfordshire
Does anyone have any issues with front forks going stiff locking out when being left parked up, i have had bike 2 weeks now and after yesterdays ride left bike in garage , went back to it after an hour and front forks were solid. i got them moving pushing them up and down but movement seemed less plush! I have read about this happening on a review on decathlon site. i am wondering if it is an issue or just something that happens when bedding the new forks in, it has never happen on any of my other forks though. Any one else had similar issues?
If you google RockShox 35 stiction one of the first hits is Levo users on this forum with similar issues.

Personally I try and get kit working as good as poss before looking at upgrades. Service the lowers to start? At least you know it's done right. Maybe a wiper upgrade at the same time (although they might break in a bit)?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
So this "bargain" £2800 emtb with it's quirky geometry comes needing it's brakes bled and a thorough mechanical check over then all it needs is a a new £500 wheelset? £100+ on new tyres? £700 on a new fork? £150ish on new bars, grips and stem? and a new £200 display that still looks look like it came from Maplin then it's good to go, right?

If only there were an Emtb out there that came built properly with great geometry, decent finishing kit, good wheels and tyres, a neat colour display and high end suspension components, brakes and drivetrain for under four and a half grand. :LOL:

The Specialized effect is strong on this one

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
So this "bargain" £2800 emtb with it's quirky geometry comes needing it's brakes bled and a thorough mechanical check over then all it needs is a a new £500 wheelset? £100+ on new tyres? £700 on a new fork? £150ish on new bars, grips and stem? and a new £200 display that still looks look like it came from Maplin then it's good to go, right?

If only there were an Emtb out there that came built properly with great geometry, decent finishing kit, good wheels and tyres, a neat colour display and high end suspension components, brakes and drivetrain for under four and a half grand. :LOL:

My came build stop on i upgraded to kiox for security and health monitoring you get the crap black and white display put some £6000 bike ? the wheel are great Not a fan of the free hub free play but works I like to have two setsIf wheels.The fork are good for me as I don’t smash it around so for me so far my bike had cost me £2990 as I bought new tyres to ??

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Quick query, for those who've fitted E-Wilds, is the 2.8 rear a direct fit for the 2.6 Smart Sam? I can't see why not but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Ive gone 2.8 E-Wilds front and rear. No issues on sizing or grip levels but if you do 25mph+ on the road then you are going to benefit from running at 25 psi or more depending on total system weight. I'm 95kg fully kitted and on a XL. The 2.8 soak up the small stuff really well but they are a bit tight to get on as I suspect all tubeless will be. They sealed up really well using just a track pump, thats a clue as to how tight they are.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth

Hey Gary I think you are missing the point. This is a £2700 that is great if you can get hold of one, sure its not perfect but find me one that is at any price. Riders are individual and will want to make personal adjustments and alterations on any bike. Even sponsored professional riders swap out items and then just black out the logo because thats the component they prefer.

I'd rather start at £2700 and change things as and when or if they wear out as opposed to starting at £4500 and still not be happy with this and that. I still suggest that bang for buck there is nothing out there to beat it.

Johnny rider

Jun 28, 2020
Coventry uk
Hey Gary I think you are missing the point. This is a £2700 that is great if you can get hold of one, sure its not perfect but find me one that is at any price. Riders are individual and will want to make personal adjustments and alterations on any bike. Even sponsored professional riders swap out items and then just black out the logo because thats the component they prefer.

I'd rather start at £2700 and change things as and when or if they wear out as opposed to starting at £4500 and still not be happy with this and that. I still suggest that bang for buck there is nothing out there to beat it.
I agree bud ????

Lordy71

Jul 29, 2020
lancashire
If you google RockShox 35 stiction one of the first hits is Levo users on this forum with similar issues.

Personally I try and get kit working as good as poss before looking at upgrades. Service the lowers to start? At least you know it's done right. Maybe a wiper upgrade at the same time (although they might break in a bit)?
thanks i found that thread i will get them serviced at LBS and see how they are going forward...

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
I think he's just trying to wind you up ! :)

Unfortunately, you're missing one of these rare humorous Gary moments .... :eek::ROFLMAO:
I hope that he never thinks of a career change to a stand up comic ?. I know he’s just trying to get a reaction and I was happy to play along as I was in between swapping out my Levo frame, forks, wheelset, chainset, tyres and bars. I’m finished now and got my perfect bike, it looks just like one of damn fangled Stilus thingymabobs.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Comedy genius?
Winding you all up?
Hmm ?
Haha...
Mibbies aye, Mibbies naw.. ?

My emtb was 400 notes more than the stilus, has sorted geometry from the off. came ready to ride with a top end lyrik and super deluxe, maxxis rubber, nukeproof finishing kit, XT drivetrain, decent wheelset, 4 pot guides and a neat little coloured display and switch.
Makes you think, eh?

Like I said pages back. I just don't see the thing as the bargain it's being heralded as.

If this is your dream spec, geometry and price point fine but if you're going to chuck over a grand and a half at the thing there are other options out there which IMO are a better overall package.

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
Comedy genius?
Winding you all up?
Hmm ?
Haha...
Mibbies aye, Mibbies naw.. ?

My emtb was 400 notes more than the stilus, has sorted geometry from the off. came ready to ride with a top end lyrik and super deluxe, maxxis rubber, nukeproof finishing kit, XT drivetrain, decent wheelset, 4 pot guides and a neat little coloured display and switch.
Makes you think, eh?

Like I said pages back. I just don't see the thing as the bargain it's being heralded as.

If this is your dream spec, geometry and price point fine but if you're going to chuck over a grand and a half at the thing there are other options out there which IMO are a better overall package.
Sounds like a grand bike and yes it could have been on my shopping list apart for just a couple of things, the £3800 price tag and the Shimano steps 7. You definitely got a bargain but there’s no bargains to be had at the moment given the issue with supply and demand. I might have got it wrong but I started on a bike based around the Bosch and once they offered up the firmware upgrade it made my mind up.

In my view any bike is preferable to no bike, that’s were I was at.

I still reckon you’d go down a treat at the Manchester comedy store ?

charlieback

Jul 10, 2020
UK
Anyone else with the x1 seat noticed the cover starting to come away? advice on what to stick it back with appreciated...

1596471440291948349781383935635.jpg

Pigin

Jul 7, 2020
Saddleworth
No one ,mentioned a...or boak! :sick:

it was £3100 with an E8000 bru.
Like I said you got a bargain, look at them now!!!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
look at them now!!!!
Hmm.. I'm looking. That particular model still represents better VFM parts and finishing kit wise with its 36 and DPX2, Maxxis tyres, DT wheelset and Nukeproof finishing kit over the stilus and £1.1k of "upgrades" in my eyes.
But you're forgetting about wiggle's platinum discount (which will reduce the difference in price to only £550 more) good luck trying to upgrading your stilus to fox fork and shock for that nevermind the rest of the parts.
wiggle platinum also means the cheapest ESommet just £100 more than the Stilus. and if you're patient once or twice a year they add a further 5% to that discount for a month.

I know the vitus isn't what you want. I'm just using it as one example. There are lots more alternatives for the cost of the Stilus plus all the upgrades folk are throwing at them straight away. The other thing is the Stilus might as well be a direct sales brand. you've seen a decathlon store bike workshop and mechanic, right? This was MY point
I thought I'd made it clear enough in post #1,323 but obviously not. Now I have I'll STFU.
honest

I honestly hope you really love the bike

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
It's a great entry-level full sus Electric Mountain Bike out of the box. It's great to see another bike at a decent price. If you want to throw some cash at it, it just keeps getting better. Like a step change better. I think all we are highlighting here is how to make it better as and when you want to, if you want to. Tyres are crap, we've agreed that, so I would say that would be the only out of the box change I would seriously recommend. Rest is up to you.

I think a lot of people buying the bike won't have the Wiggle Platinum Discount, this is probably their first purchase. It rides great @Gary , honestly, it does.

This isn't too far off the Silus' spec.. All also, of course at that price, out of stock..

It really really depends what you want, and your riding style. The E-Sommet is a great value machine, but so is the Stilus! I'm just pleased to see it's opened up the sport to many more riders..

IanVersion2

Jun 12, 2020
Stroud, Glos, UK
I can see what Gary is saying. Sometimes when I browse this thread it feels like people are saying 'It's such great value, you'd be crazy not to buy one!'. It is great value, almost certainly the best value, entry-level FS eMTB available (well, semi-available), but it is still an entry level bike from an online retailer with a dubious customer service history (imo) and I think some people get carried away.

If your plan is to buy a £2600 Stilus and get out there and ride it, more power to you*. If you're in the camp of buy £2600 Stilus, junk the tyres, junk the bars and stem, replace the fork within 3 months, question the wheels, rear shock, drive train... well... maybe that £2600 didn't get you what you needed in the first place? At that point you're up to a std £4k eMTB with a bit of in-store haggling and you maybe able to get a better all-round deal.

*Actually, more power to you whatever the hell you wanna do. I don't care! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I think a lot of people buying the bike won't have the Wiggle Platinum Discount
Buy any item(s) from wiggle to the value of £500 and you'll be awarded platinum discount, even an unsuitable item you send straight back unused ;)

I know you love the bike's handling.

and yeah it's great that there are lower entry price points. £2600 doesn't buy you much in normal Enduro bikes so at this price it's bound to turn the heads of a few folk swithering over Eeb or normy FS for their next purchase.

Last edited:

taxidriver50005

Jun 17, 2020
Skelmersdale
Value for money is different to each person you speak to, a lot will depend on your intended use and what you value.
For me as a newbie to embt I valued reliability and hopefully longevity and as Gary knows this was my main concern when choosing a ebike so motor was my first priority and that's were the value is for me, for my mind suspension parts and other bike parts can all be bought off the shelf but certain motors cannot be repaired economically.
I read somewhere that 40% all emtbs where bought by sombody who was new to ebikes and new to mtb , thats where i fit in too
Intended use or how would you describe yourself will also have an impact on how you value you bike, for me I would day I was a embt tourist.....i read about them ..watch them.....but have no aspirations to go doing some of the stuff I see on YouTube. I'm happy doing trails getting muddy without actually killing myself and I think a lot of people will be the same without feeling the need to mod the bike, so point is value is personal and other peoples opinions are like arseholes.....everyone has one.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I think that with the Stylus what you have to look at, and what I think is great about it, is that most people who buy one will never change it, except for the contact points, and as a way to get a proper EMTB that is capable enough for most riding its the best value by far - the original E-Sommet (which I have) was crazy value for money, and whilst still good value isn't anything like as good value now.

If you are looking at buying a bike as a base for upgrading, then its worth looking at other bike too, but if you just want to get out and ride some trails, dont care about going all super bling, then it hits the spot.

So really if you are looking for a cheap but decent bike with quality components I cant see the point it looking much further.

Ohh an Yoann Barelli was a decathlon mechanic before he hit the big time!

Ribbsey

Jun 29, 2020
South Yorkshire
Quick update on my battery issue, declared dead by the Bosch Service Centre and replaced within two working days. Very happy with the turnaround considering the disruption at the moment.

One little niggle was that I was charged for some labour time by the LBS / Bosch Service Centre. They said I should take up with Decathlon (£25) but I feel Bosch should pick up the tab for this. Anyway, I'll fire an email across to Decathlon and see.

The bike also had to have the new update because without it they couldn't pair the new battery to the motor. Maybe I'm being tight over the charge after-all :LOL:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles