Custom Dengfu build worth it for noob vs buying something like a Luna?

mjcother

Dec 15, 2022
Dunedin, FL 34698
I put together a spreadsheet for a E22 or new E55. My riding is 90% street-paved trail throttle, along with some curb-hopping and a tiny bit of pedaling if I get the evil eye. I am looking online for components at amazon and big retailers for deals and last years models and I am coming in just under $4k. I know I am missing tidbits here or there, and could easily be buying components that have an issue with each other that I only find out at assembly time and have to be returned or replaced. Since I don't have a strong desire for specific components that are different than what Luna has on a Z1, are there some sage words? Can iIbuy a complete E55 from Dengfu? I see "Ben Rides" allude to 'whole bicycle' on post 47 of the E55 thread, but that may be just internal for their R&D...

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
I put together a spreadsheet for a E22 or new E55. My riding is 90% street-paved trail throttle, along with some curb-hopping and a tiny bit of pedaling if I get the evil eye. I am looking online for components at amazon and big retailers for deals and last years models and I am coming in just under $4k. I know I am missing tidbits here or there, and could easily be buying components that have an issue with each other that I only find out at assembly time and have to be returned or replaced. Since I don't have a strong desire for specific components that are different than what Luna has on a Z1, are there some sage words? Can iIbuy a complete E55 from Dengfu? I see "Ben Rides" allude to 'whole bicycle' on post 47 of the E55 thread, but that may be just internal for their R&D...
Hi. I see you are new here. This is an electric MOUNTAIN bike forum but your "click bait" post will surely get answered by someone. It might not be someone who has much experience "looking for components at amazon and big retailers" or be able to match the specs of a Luna, as most of the members here will be riding one of the top 10 bike manufactures (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, Orbea, etc), which don't have throttles. If you are looking at component prices, might I suggest JensonUSA.com instead of Amazon.
Best of luck with your search for a bike. The learning and planning is half the fun!

mjcother

Dec 15, 2022
Dunedin, FL 34698
Hi. I see you are new here. This is an electric MOUNTAIN bike forum but your "click bait" post will surely get answered by someone. It might not be someone who has much experience "looking for components at amazon and big retailers" or be able to match the specs of a Luna, as most of the members here will be riding one of the top 10 bike manufactures (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, Orbea, etc), which don't have throttles. If you are looking at component prices, might I suggest JensonUSA.com instead of Amazon.
Best of luck with your search for a bike. The learning and planning is half the fun!
Yes, i am new, I am posting in the 'newbies' group if you did not notice... I did look at Jensen, as I have bought la few from them in the past, before e-commerce took over, but didn't want to single out a single place, lots of stores sell through amazon. If you think MOUNTAIN bikes are only ridden in states with mountains, then maybe you should tell those top ten bike manufacturers that they should close up shop in all the flat states, right? Somehow I thought posting this in the 'newbies hangout' might get a response like 'yes, we have done the same, and here is what we found'... not some rant by a prima donna

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Can iIbuy a complete E55 from Dengfu? I see "Ben Rides" allude to 'whole bicycle'
No. Luna have the exclusive rights for USA distribution so dengfu won't sell you one directly.

??? I posted the join message a acouple days ago and you welcomed me... are you a bot?
I think you'll find he was just being Friendly and welcoming, obviously your first post didn't leave much of an impression so he didn't remember you and therefore was polite and welcomed you again, not realising he already had.

If you're unsure on some things, on the left under a users name it shows how many posts they've made and how many reactions they've had (which will mean someone can tell that you're a newbie, no matter where you post).

For example :

1671458866687.png

Bots generally seem to be identified fairly quickly and removed by the mods/admins, so it's unlikely one would get to 422 posts.

If you think MOUNTAIN bikes are only ridden in states with mountains, then maybe you should tell those top ten bike manufacturers that they should close up shop in all the flat states, right?
most of the members here will be riding one of the top 10 bike manufactures (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Santa Cruz, Orbea, etc), which don't have throttles.

You miss interpreted his statement, hopefully accidentally.

His point was the throttles. As in that most of the members of the forum ride bikes without throttles (though not exclusively). The majority of bikes with throttles don't comply to the laws (Pedalec) or fit into the classification of an "Electric Mountain bike". What you're proposing is generally classed legally as an electric moped/motorcycle.

not some rant by a prima donna

Again, just a guidance for you, this isn't really an attitude which is going to make anyone think you're the kind of person they wish to devote their time and knowledge to helping - but if that's what you find works for you then fine.

Kiteboy

Mar 30, 2022
USA
Yes, i am new, I am posting in the 'newbies' group if you did not notice... I did look at Jensen, as I have bought la few from them in the past, before e-commerce took over, but didn't want to single out a single place, lots of stores sell through amazon. If you think MOUNTAIN bikes are only ridden in states with mountains, then maybe you should tell those top ten bike manufacturers that they should close up shop in all the flat states, right? Somehow I thought posting this in the 'newbies hangout' might get a response like 'yes, we have done the same, and here is what we found'... not some rant by a prima donna
Looks like you reside just down the road from me. Note: many don't seem to like americans on this forum. And you are correct about Florida. Alafia for example, just a short drive from Dunedin throws some very challenging terrain at you. Not Moab, but it'll do.
I have a Luna X1 and a Dengfu E06 (not the $10,000 - $18,000 bikes that most on this forum prefer) and I like both. The Luna has a 750w Bafang motor with the Luna controller and proprietary tune. It's the way to go in my opinion. I wish I could get a similar tune on my 1,000w Bafang as level 1 thru 3 could be tuned down. Level 1 brings the heat too fast for technical riding IMO, where the Luna tune is butter smooth and excellent on technical stuff.

Last edited:

phunka

Jan 17, 2023
Canmore ab
Looks like you reside just down the road from me. Note: many don't seem to like americans on this forum. And you are correct about Florida. Alafia for example, just a short drive from Dunedin throws some very challenging terrain at you. Not Moab, but it'll do.

I have a Luna X1 and a Dengfu E06 (not the $10,000 - $18,000 bikes that most on this forum prefer) and I like both. The Luna has a 750w Bafang motor with the Luna controller and proprietary tune. It's the way to go in my opinion. I wish I could get a similar tune on my 1,000w Bafang as level 1 thru 3 could be tuned down. Level 1 brings the heat too fast for technical riding IMO, where the Luna tune is butter smooth and excellent on technical stuff.I have an e 06 with stock bafang m620 motor, have you been able to tune the motor with the USB cord ? I AGREE 100% it could be a bit more smooth.I have the cord but scared to mess around too much with it .

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles