Cube 160tm 750w battery not impressed? What peoples thoughts on the 750w system?

tonk

Jun 19, 2022
East Sussex
Interested to see how this thread pans out because I'd like to swap my 2020 Stereo 160 for the 2022 version but only if the range turns out to be better, if not I'll stick with the 2020 bike šŸ¤”šŸ˜Ž

Iā€™ll keep this post updated when Iactually get my bike back from shop

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
I'm coming from 2020 625Wh Lapierre Overvolt and got myself a new Cube Stereo Hybrid TM 750. The main difference I see is how the 'discharge curve' is different in both bikes. The old 625Wh battery seems to start depleting much later in the beginning but it then speeds up towards the end. With the 750Wh it's the opposite. I have now ~600 km on my 750Wh and riding with a friend on 2020 Cube with 625Wh battery I always finish with 15% more battery when his drops to 0%. We do long rides (70-80 km and ~2000+ meters) with additional spare battery each so we drain them to 0% and swap for new ones during the ride.
I strongly believe the complaints we see here come from ppl who don't drain their batteries till the last drop but base their observations on this initial faster drain pace that can be observed in 750Wh battery. On top of it if someone is drawing their conclusion from the Bosch range indicator that to me in itself shows that their lack in experience in eMTB riding. Having observed the range indicator I can only say it's a gimmick that perhaps may come in handy if you ride same terrain again and again. Doesn't really cut it if your rides differs in type of terrain, inclines, etc.

Akiwi

šŸø Kermit Elite šŸø
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I'm coming from 2020 625Wh Lapierre Overvolt and got myself a new Cube Stereo Hybrid TM 750. The main difference I see is how the 'discharge curve' is different in both bikes. The old 625Wh battery seems to start depleting much later in the beginning but it then speeds up towards the end. With the 750Wh it's the opposite. I have now ~600 km on my 750Wh and riding with a friend on 2020 Cube with 625Wh battery I always finish with 15% more battery when his drops to 0%. We do long rides (70-80 km and ~2000+ meters) with additional spare battery each so we drain them to 0% and swap for new ones during the ride.
I strongly believe the complaints we see here come from ppl who don't drain their batteries till the last drop but base their observations on this initial faster drain pace that can be observed in 750Wh battery. On top of it if someone is drawing their conclusion from the Bosch range indicator that to me in itself shows that their lack in experience in eMTB riding. Having observed the range indicator I can only say it's a gimmick that perhaps may come in handy if you ride same terrain again and again. Doesn't really cut it if your rides differs in type of terrain, inclines, etc.
Agree 100% with you.
The only time I use the range view is when I am right down to the last 10 - 20% battery and I know the terrain in front of me is relatively constant. Otherwise forget it.

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
How many charge cycles until people are starting to see an improvement?
4-5 should be enough. But it's not all about cycles - pls refer to couple of posts above. If you compare your 750Wh battery discharge pace with 625Wh one it's not apples to apples. Take your bike for a spin and ride it till the battery is empty. You'll see the difference in how quickly initial 10-15% goes and as it slows down later on

Tomroy

Aug 18, 2020
Australia
Have run till empty on my regular ride and it is not quite matching let alone beating battery consumption of my previous bike. Trek Rail 9 625wh 2021 vs Trek rail 9.8 750wh 2022 same set up. Am hoping it gets better with more charge cycles even though previous bike didnt need charge cycles to improve

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
2nd ride on 2022 cube stereo 160. 56km, 4500ft climbing. At a guess 90% emtb mode with turbo and trail+ the remainder.
Still finished with 20% battery remaining. With gear, water bottle etc it must be roughly 76kg weight on the bike.
This is my first e-bike so nothing to compare it to but I was impressed with the battery range, I certainly wasn't being economical with its use.

Tomroy

Aug 18, 2020
Australia
I have only managed to get similar with my new 750Wh to my 625Wh same ride 48km 1800m elevation 75-80% tour+, remainder emtb mode with just under 10% battery left.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
there might be two things influencing in the beginning.

On the older Bosch batteries there is an option to reset the Battery Management System on the battery pack. When doing so it takes some charging cycles, recommended to run until empty, until it is showing more reliable infos on remaining range.

So one thing seems to be a new battery that needs some charging cycles for reaching full capacity and the other might be the BMS gathering data from first rides & charging cycles for doing more accurate calculations?

Hope getting my 140 TM delivered until end of August.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
It's not very scientific but I went out for a ride on my 160tm today over to Leith Hill and Holmbury Hill. I had forgotten to charge my battery so it was at 65% when I left home. Did a 35 mile ride using eco, tour+ and even turbo for a couple of hills, and still made it home with 5% left. I've not had an ebike before to compare but I was pretty impressed none the less.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
Guys new battery doesn't have full capacity at first. After around 20 cycles it will get much better, also like someone already wrote, 625 is strange, at first it looks like it will last forever (first dot on purion) after that it goes very fast down..

JP-NZ

E*POWAH Elite
Feb 17, 2022
Christchurch - New Zealand
Yes I agree but definitely not seeing a 15/20% improvement in battery life over a 625w bike.

Are you riding the bike all the way to 0%? The reason I ask is sure the 1st 50% may go down faster than the prev gen 625wh but the last 50% may last a lot longer. If your not using the full charge of the battery you may never see full range.

Choppersquad

Nov 10, 2021
Leatherhead
When I ran mine down to 5% it certainly didnā€™t deplete any quicker towards the end. I was still using Turbo on the hills when it was 10%. Iā€™d have quite liked to have carried on to see how long the last 5% lasted.

tonk

Jun 19, 2022
East Sussex
Are you riding the bike all the way to 0%? The reason I ask is sure the 1st 50% may go down faster than the prev gen 625wh but the last 50% may last a lot longer. If your not using the full charge of the battery you may never see full range.

tonk

Jun 19, 2022
East Sussex
I was running it low. Unfortunately Iā€™ve got a full refund on the cube as it was one thing after another that kept going wrong. The bike shop offered me refund so I took it as I didnā€™t see the bike to be much better then my cube 160sl. Itā€™s interesting tho as my friend that I cycle with has the 750w tm so I can continue my research with his bike šŸ˜‚. Iā€™m holding out to a 2023/2024 bike. I also found the bike not as playful on the trails. From the refund Iā€™ve brought some upgrades to my 2021 cube 160sl.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles