Levo Gen 2 *%#^#^ Creaking Sound driving me batty! ?

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Hi everyone,

Today I just noticed a creaking sound which *I think* is coming from the bottom bracket.

Update: My wife said it’s coming from the rear shock and it needs some lube! Who am I to argue?!

I can stand on the pedals with the brakes on a rock bike and forth and each “side” will creak. That is pressure on left or pressure on right pedal and - CRACK! So cheesy sounding boys, I need to fix this or ride faster! ?

It’s only when I’m just starting out pedalling with higher torque. Once I’m going I don’t notice any noise, but if I’m slowing down peddling fairly hard and slow navigating through bushes or forest I get this occasional creak sound. It’s really annoying and doesn’t sound good. Any tips would be appreciated! Stay safe.

Last edited:

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
When my bike was serviced recently I asked them to check the creak. They did and indicated the motor mount bolts had slackened off slightly. They dropped the motor, cleaned out the detritus that collects and re-fitted and re-torqued all the bolts. Creak gone...

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
Man I know something like that can drive you crazy. ?
I was on the hunt for a clicking noise for more than a month, in the end it was one of two things, worn upper shock hardware and/or dirt in the seattube. See my thread. Also check if the derailleur bolt came loose. At first I realy thought I found it cuz the sound was so right but it took me another 4 weeks to narrow it down...

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Man I know something like that can drive you crazy. ?
I was on the hunt for a clicking noise for more than a month, in the end it was one of two things, worn upper shock hardware and/or dirt in the seattube. See my thread. Also check if the derailleur bolt came loose. At first I realy thought I found it cuz the sound was so right but it took me another 4 weeks to narrow it down...

That clicking is intense, good find there! I’ll check my fasteners for sure. At least my shock hardware is okay as it’s newly installed. I think it’s my praxis crank bolt on left side…

NoPro

Aug 2, 2019
Austria
That clicking is intense, good find there! I’ll check my fasteners for sure. At least my shock hardware is okay as it’s newly installed. I think it’s my praxis crank bolt on left side…

Intense is the right word I guess, you can imagine my disapointment when I found it, got on the bike and it was still clicking/creaking :unsure::mad:.
In the end I think the sound I was after was the dirt in the seattube. I was very close to calling my bike shop for a new motor (you know...) because I could have sworn it came form the bb.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Okay I thought I solved it but it’s still creaking. ?

It’s ever since I swapped the rear shock. Only seems to do it under hard peddling especially if I stand up on the pedals the creaks on the left and right stroke. It really sounds like it’s coming from the bottom bracket. I don’t know any other way I could’ve install the shock other than the Fox doesn’t use the extra washers and O-rings the rockshox does.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Thanks, I’ll check it out. This thing is driving me crazy. I almost wish I didn’t change my shock, that’s when it all started. ?

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Check rear axle, non drive side bevel. Lightly grease. Worked for me
I loosened the QR and unscrewed the axel. It has a light coat of grease on it, *I think* it’s enough? I can’t find my grease, I only have finishing line ceramic wet lube and forkboost lube.

jsharpe

May 15, 2019
USA
Check rear axle, non drive side bevel. Lightly grease. Worked for me
I had something similar happen earlier this spring. It turned out to be the cassette hub. A little bit of cleaning and lube and the creaking under load went away.

cleoent

Aug 25, 2020
NorCal
Thanks, I’ll check it out. This thing is driving me crazy. I almost wish I didn’t change my shock, that’s when it all started. ?

I've had the exact same creak since I changed my rear shock as well. I've even tried going back to the stock shock and the creak is still there. I've gone through the bike, cleaned, lube, grease, everything. I'm convinced its coming from cranks. Only thing I haven't done is drop motor, clean and regrease.

Specfan

Apr 11, 2021
Toronto, Canada
I've had the exact same creak since I changed my rear shock as well. I've even tried going back to the stock shock and the creak is still there. I've gone through the bike, cleaned, lube, grease, everything. I'm convinced its coming from cranks. Only thing I haven't done is drop motor, clean and regrease.

Thanks for the feedback. What shock did you go from and what is your new shock?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles