Levo Gen 3 Considering Comp Carbon vs Elite both need part swaps

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
New guy here. Waiting on a Demo of the Levo which may happen next month on a Gen 3. I may get a chance at a Gen 2 locally as a guy has one. I know there have been many upgrades on the newest version. I ride aggressive XC/Trail, rooted and some rocks. I have been riding consistently for 10 years and have a very solid background in motocross/woods riding on motorcycles. I am seriously considering selling my Tallboy 4 CC for an Ebike as I think i am looking for a change of pace.

I have been comparing the Expert and the Comp. I like the Expert but think the suspension package is too Enduro for me. Not to mention there are changes I would make on both the Comp and Elite.....actually the same changes.

Comp Carbon - carbon wheels, carbon bars, and a F36 Elite or Factory. I may even consider changing the rear shock to a float X factory.

Elite - Carbon wheels, carbon bars, I would probably leave the fork as it is highly adjustable but overkill, the shock I really only know it is a full out enduro shock.

The stock parts would likely be swapped before the bike hits the dirt for maximum resale value.

I am 5'9" and 170lbs.

Lets talk as to why a person would buy the Elite over the Comp....

Jeff H

May 19, 2019
San Jose, CA, USA
What is this “Elite” you speak of? I think you mean Expert 🙂.
I bought an expert a month ago but went back and forth between that and comp carbon. In your case I think the decision is easier: Expert
By the time you upgrade suspension on comp you’re approaching expert price. I wouldn’t consider fox 38 and X2 too enduro overkill, especially with your experience including moto. As for carbon wheels and bar, if you’re intent on them it’s a wash since same upgrade for both bikes. Btw you’ll love either. Awesome bike and much improved riding experience over my ‘19 comp.

Cb750stu

Subscriber
Nov 6, 2020
United Kingdom
I've got the 22 pro version which is just the expert with some kashima coating 🤣 I've installed a smashpot in the factory 38's and fitted a ohlins ttx22 and it's a fantastic bike. Carbon wheels holding up strong just one broken spoke so far 👍 yeah the Spesh carbon bars are very flexible so I bought one-up ones they are really good 👍👍

I'm a stickler for carbon so that's why I chose the pro version and I got a great deal 2nd hand with full hope brakes and full AXS ,

Yeah I'm on my 3rd motor but the specialized warranty has been awesome, I just ride it until it's time to go offshore again and drop it off at my LBS 👍

All in all its a great bike probably one of the best I've ever owned 🤟

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
Sorry, I should have said my jumps and drops are 5’ max….when out of town.

I understand the weight savings argument. 45 or 50lbs what’s the diff….except wheels. There is more that static weight savings there. I definitely need 32h wheels. I am on 32h carbon wheels now. The one up bars would be top of the list. I am on Enve bars now. I had renthal carbons before but they are too stiff for my liking.

I just got back from a demo on a Levo comp aluminum gen 2. It’s a nice bike but on my local trail it almost seemed too much bike. I still want to demo a gen3 at blankets creek in a month or so. Our trails are really tight and rooty. I was on a large size and can say I need a medium S3 for sure. I hit the 20mph quick. One thing I missed is my premium parts on my bike vs the lower build on the particular bike I rode. It was an SLX build w/one up bars. My tallboy is a full X01 build with carbon wheels and enve bar.

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
That is not a huge weight savings really considering the bike is mostly powered. In the full pedal world, that is huge.

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
Too bad the new display didn’t make it to the alloy. I really am starting to view these bikes as smart bikes. The software, displays, and controls need to integrate and not seem like an after thought. Specialized and the new Trek EXe coming have this going for them

stygz1

Jul 10, 2022
USA
Carbon wheels have been good to me. Been on them since 2014. Had enve as well. At least in the non e bike arena, there is more to carbon wheels than static weight.

EMTB!

May 22, 2020
Eagle, Idaho
My S5 2022 S-Works weighs an honest to goodness 46.7lbs and the S5 comp weighed 51lbs.
The weight savings is negligible between the comp and the expert, unless you have to have carbon it’s really not a good value overall.
I also have a gen 3 S5 S-Works and have swapped just about every component out for lighter and even with a 500Wh couldn’t get it below mid 47’s. What’s your parts spec list?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
New guy here. Waiting on a Demo of the Levo which may happen next month on a Gen 3. I may get a chance at a Gen 2 locally as a guy has one. I know there have been many upgrades on the newest version. I ride aggressive XC/Trail, rooted and some rocks. I have been riding consistently for 10 years and have a very solid background in motocross/woods riding on motorcycles. I am seriously considering selling my Tallboy 4 CC for an Ebike as I think i am looking for a change of pace.

I have been comparing the Expert and the Comp. I like the Expert but think the suspension package is too Enduro for me. Not to mention there are changes I would make on both the Comp and Elite.....actually the same changes.

Comp Carbon - carbon wheels, carbon bars, and a F36 Elite or Factory. I may even consider changing the rear shock to a float X factory.

Elite - Carbon wheels, carbon bars, I would probably leave the fork as it is highly adjustable but overkill, the shock I really only know it is a full out enduro shock.

The stock parts would likely be swapped before the bike hits the dirt for maximum resale value.

I am 5'9" and 170lbs.

Lets talk as to why a person would buy the Elite over the Comp....

High Rock Ruti

As the undisputed motor replacement champion (9 motors across 3 bikes 2 full refunds, third refund approaching)
Unless you have a backup bike, buy a Bosche driven bike, or be without. Bike is in shop as I write this, awaiting word from Specialized, who is absolutely fantastic at everything and I mean that. The levo is the most refined e bike made right now, please baby please baby, baby baby please DITCH THE BROSE MOTORS

Warm Regards Ruti

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Dear Brose killer.

what is your average cadence?

rs,

High Rock Ruti's new nick name "The Brose KIller". I absolutely love that RS

I wish for the life of me I could figure out if it's me or the motors, I'd much rather have a working bike than a free warranty replacement, did I say free?.....for $13,000 USD free. I know for sure that I'm not the only one with failed motors, but perhaps all us idiots are riding the same way!

Not sure pf the cadence my Garmin says 45, however every time I count its around 75, not sure about the discrepancy, however the Garmin is not synched to the bike in any way. I'm 210 pounds with gear, I ride almost daily, (thanks emts's), but motors are lasting around 350 miles so far, and this is exactly how much I was getting in the previous generation, as I remember 2.1. Oddly the first, generation which had an (finally admitted ) acknowledged defect lasted longer than any subsequent generation of motor. Although the "bearing man" says (and I agree with his expertise) it's failing sprague clutches. The bike is awaiting warranty confirmation as I write, even though the motor didn't actually fail, there are two tell tales, 1 increase in motor noise and 2 the motor runs on for several seconds after not pedaling, the the normal few tenths of second but 3 seconds or so. Unfortunately I've become intuitive about the impending failures, once I used my girlfriend's Orbea to tow myself back to the car with some paracord, always carry it in the pack.

I'm drooling over the next generation of motor/transmission bikes that are just starting to hit the market, oh and lets throw in a Gates drive belt for good measure. Just imagine how much a motor replacement would be then?

Warm Regards Ruti

Last edited:

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Is that the Levo app giving you cadence? You’re counting only 1 legs rotation right, Not both?!? saying if it’s actually 45 rpm that’s the culprit.
hopefully the replacement is quick and you’re back at it.

High Rock Ruti

I'm am kinda slow, but not pedaling, although you've planted a seed with one leg cadence calculation.

Warm Regards Ruti

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles