Compression damping on Rock Shox Lyrik

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Should there be a noticeable difference when l alter the compression damping adjuster (on my 2020 Lyrik Select)

The rebound damping on the bottom of the fork makes quite a difference as you increase it.
But the compression damping adjuster seems to make little if any change that l can detect.

Could the fork be defective?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It "could" be defective. Yes. but I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably not.
compression damping setting changes are far more difficult to "detect" than with rebound. (where the change is glaringly obvious just pushing down and releasing a fork in the car park)

choose a long DH track you know well with a combination of features such as the odd jump, root, rock sections and low grip turns
ride it as fast as you can first with compression adjustment full open then repeat the run with compression dialled full closed.
Don't alter anything else between runs.
Once you start to feel and notice the difference. back it off to full open again and slowly over time/runs wind ON (a little) compression until you're happy with your preferred setting.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Thank you for the reply, l've found another thread with someone asking the same question on a brand new Lyrik the same as mine.

So l guess you are right, however to my shame the fork has not yet had a service and l've had the bike 12 months.

So l've booked it in to the LBS for a fork/shock service.

Loe Rider

Oct 26, 2020
Kernow
Same with mine - the dial appears to rotate only for novelty value. On the bright side, any close encounters with trailside foliage that accidentally "increases" it makes only the barest of difference and it doesn't end up being locked out. :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles