Rock shox Zeb vs Fox Performance

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Hi guys, I'm looking at purchasing a Whyte ebike, I have the choice of the RockShox Zeb or the fox performance both 38s. Previously I have had fox factory and a Rock shox lyric. I really didn't like the lyric after the fox factory, which is understandable comparing the price. Absolutely loved the plush feeling. Which would give me a more plush feeling do you think? Im a novice really when it comes to all this. Here are the specs of the forks,

Fox Float 38, Performance 27.5", 160mm Travel, 44mm Offset with Grip Damper, 3pos Adjust and custom tune, Tapered Steerer, 110mm x 15mm Boost, E-Thru Axle

RockShox ZEB 27.5", 180mm Travel, 44mm Offset, DebonAir, Charger R Damper, Fast Black Coating, Tapered Steerer, 110mm x 15mm Boost, Maxle Ultimate

I understand one has 160mm and one has 180mm, would that make a difference too?

Thanks guys, any help would be really appreciated!

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
the upgrade to 180mm would mess with the geometry a bit, if you are looking at the e160 it would make most sense to stick with the 160mm travel option.

When they are the same travel both should be good and very similar in terms of being very stiff and having enough ability to tweak to your riding style. Personally i'd just stick with what is already on there/

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What I am interested in when selecting a fork is the factory tune and then the degree of user adjustability of both high and low speed compression. I have found having a medium factory tune and then both LSC and HSC gives the best chance to get a fork that is both plush and delivers enough support throughout the stroke. You do not mention which Whyte model you are looking at but you may want to look at how much rear travel it has and the BB height ( usually fairly low on a Whyte).................180mm may be a step to far for both!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Two great bikes, two great forks.

I would go for the bike which suits your riding and how you want to ride - IMO the 160 is pretty much perfect for UK riding, the 180 is going to be more up your street if you are hitting up DH and Bike Park Wales etc on a regular basis.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
Yes initially i was after the E180 but I think in reality the riding i do the E160 maybe abit more playful on normal trails round Cannock chase etc!

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I have the E180RS ( have not ridden the 160). It is a brilliant bike with a stunning spec but it only really comes alive when charging downhill preferably on challenging terrain. In other words it is pure enduro rather than trail. Of course it can do normal trail riding but its strength is how planted and secure it is when really challenged, and that does not then translate into something lively and playful on less challenging trails. For that type of riding I prefer to use my Levo.

FROGGYBEARS

Jul 12, 2020
STAFFORD
I have the E180RS ( have not ridden the 160). It is a brilliant bike with a stunning spec but it only really comes alive when charging downhill preferably on challenging terrain. In other words it is pure enduro rather than trail. Of course it can do normal trail riding but its strength is how planted and secure it is when really challenged, and that does not then translate into something lively and playful on less challenging trails. For that type of riding I prefer to use my Levo.
Thanks mate thats really helpful! Really helped me make my mind up on the 160 ? now to try get my hands on one ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles