commuter bike owner

GigalithineButhulne

Apr 12, 2024
Sweden
Hi, new member here, currently living in Sweden. I'm not technically a mountain bike owner, I purchased a commuter e-bike a couple of years ago, which is my daily ride in all but the very worst weather, typically about 10km-20km per day of riding under moderately hilly conditions. It had a big impact on my lifestyle, where on my "normal" bike I would avoid riding if I had a meeting or needed to avoid a long recovery time at work from climbing bridges etc or the weather was moderately bad.

I've now become interested in upgrading my experience in hopefully not too expensive ways :D

II know this is an eMTB forum but after looking around at some other e-bike forums including reddit, I saw that this one was active with people who knew stuff about parts. The bike industry seems to be largely run around enthusiasts and feels a lot like if the PC industry were dominated by Linux (I say this affectionately as a basically 100% Linux user) so there doesn't seem to be a lot of straightforward answers to some sorts of questions about customization.

Anyway, hi again.

Reactions: BMP

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Welcome to the forums.
An eMTB can be a relatively good commuter with the right tires. A full suspension might be too much for just pavement but a Hardtail eMTB would let you go off road, with the right tires, on some tame trails.
Good luck. There’s lots of options out there.
Cheers

GigalithineButhulne

Apr 12, 2024
Sweden
Welcome to the forums.
An eMTB can be a relatively good commuter with the right tires. A full suspension might be too much for just pavement but a Hardtail eMTB would let you go off road, with the right tires, on some tame trails.
Good luck. There’s lots of options out there.
Cheers
I'm not currently in the market as the cheapest eMTB where I live is about 2x the price of a commuter ebike and is not equipped with the accoutrements (basket attachment points etc) required to do groceries on your bike. But I am interested in seeing if there are ways to improve my riding experience. I found that some of the other ebike forums didn't have much in the way of advice on e.g. replacement parts or upgrades in general, so I posted a question here in the Shimano subforum (on upgrading the display) but I think it's not a popular thing to do in general...

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
I have two full suspension emtb’s and my daily ride includes about three minutes of pavement …so I’m not the best person to comment on a commuter ebike. There are, however, some in here that use their eMTB as a commuter. Hopefully they can add to the conversation or offer some suggestions.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles