New e-bike owner...

badkarma

Apr 16, 2020
Manchester, UK
Wanted one for a long time. It's been 20 years since I rode a cycle last. I ordered me a CUBE Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 (2020) 23" from tweekscycles a few days back. Anxiously waiting for it to be delivered.

I'm only a few years living in the UK and have heard quite a bit about bike theft. Any tips anybody?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
If I’m leaving the bike anywhere I always use 2 locks. The main one is an Abus Granite X-plus which I use to lock the back wheel and frame to a secure object. It’s the longer version (300mm) quite heavy but difficult to break with bolt cutters and you need to make 2 cuts with an angle grinder to remove it. They tend to make a lot of noise.
Also have a cable to secure both wheels and saddle. I use a separate padlock for that.

The best deterrent however is to park it next to a far superior bike than mine such as @Zimmerframe ‘s Kenevo ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Wanted one for a long time. It's been 20 years since I rode a cycle last. I ordered me a CUBE Reaction Hybrid Pro 500 (2020) 23" from tweekscycles a few days back. Anxiously waiting for it to be delivered.

I'm only a few years living in the UK and have heard quite a bit about bike theft. Any tips anybody?

The wife and I also have Cube Reaction 500s (2019 versions). Had them for about 9 months now. One of the best purchases we ever made without a doubt.

badkarma

Apr 16, 2020
Manchester, UK
The wife and I also have Cube Reaction 500s (2019 versions). Had them for about 9 months now. One of the best purchases we ever made without a doubt.
That is a comfort to know, cause it was an impulse buy and I only read a couple of posts before I bought it. I thought if it was German designed then should be good :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The thought of some workshy slope-headed scumbag having the benefit of my hard-earned makes me seethe. If I knew that my bike was going to get stolen and there was nothing I could do about it, I would rather chuck the bike under a steam-roller than let them have it! :mad:

I never leave it anywhere unattended!
There are two exceptions: In my garage where it is securely locked up*. Or at the LBS where who the hell knows what security they have, but they will be insured.

There used to be a third exception; when it was inside my car, but I transport my emtb on a tow bar rack.

Note* Kryptonite New York Noose with ground anchor, plus a thick braided cable on the front wheel. Behind two locked and bolted down up-and-over doors and one locked and bolted window. The solid wooden pedestrian access door has three 4" stainless steel hinges and the door has two 5-lever mortise locks.
Kryptonite.jpg

And just in case I get caught short in a public place, I have a 1m wire cable combination lock that I carry in my backpack. It won't stop an determined thief but it may slow them down enough or persuade them to instead nick the bike that I parked next to that has no security.

Last edited:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
That is a comfort to know, cause it was an impulse buy and I only read a couple of posts before I bought it. I thought if it was German designed then should be good :)

Yes very well built, which is more than I can say about my Peugeot which didn’t survive 18 months from new.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles