Coil Shock Recommendations

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
So new toy delivery scheduled for Thurs 10th Nov. List of goodies awaiting include Fox 36, Fox Dropper, 4 pot calipers, new wheelset & hubs, DHR IIs and Rockstop guard.

On my now gone Giant Trance SX I ran a coil shock (standard with bike) following years of issues trying to get the Fox airshock right on my Canyon Strive.

For those who have gone coil what has the experience been like and any recommendations as I may just get hold of one to play at Comrie to see the difference.

Last edited:

TtheArab

Jul 7, 2019
Hayabusa!303
If your bike comes with an air shock check that it’s compatible on its own orbea page.

The bike needs compression ratios in to 30% to be good for linear coil shocks. If not you’ll hard bottom the frame if you ride hard. Just because dudes say it works doesn’t mean it works it just works for them and maybe they ride seated 99% of the time and think big hits are when you roll over a curb.

Some companies like push say their shocks are good for air only bikes just to make sales.

Usually if your bike doesn’t come with a coil in its lineup it means you should stick with air.
Agree with a lot of what you say with exception of last part. The BlueBook lists the H as being coil compatible but says to check with manufacturer.

With the Giant about 95% of the range was airshock with only the SX in the Trance range coming with coil as standard. At 26Kg though it needed it !!!

YokoOno

May 5, 2020
Colorado
I run Push 11.6 on My Rise. It's fantastic and handles everything I can possibly throw at it. Local Rocky mtn trails are fairly technical and chunky. I have 11.6 on several of my bikes, so I'm admittedly a big fan.

Note: 11.6 only fits Rise size L & XL because the coil hits frame on the S & M.

BiGJZ74

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Mar 17, 2021
American Canyon, CA
I run a 8.5x2.5" DHX2 coil on my H15. About 1k miles on it, 5k on a DHX2 on my Rallon. I'm not a jumper but 5-6ft drops with ease. I don't experience hard bottom outs or blow through travel. Progressivity of the suspension is 20.68% @ 140mm of travel so definitely progressive enough for a coil. With the extended travel progressivity increases a bit more. The yoke on Orbea's are within Fox's range of use so I don't expect shaft bending issues that other longer yoked brands ie. Specialized experienced, I'm running an EXT spring which is shorter & lighter than the comparable Fox SLS spring of the same stroke. I'm also a huge 300lb guy that likes the roughest terrain possible.....I consider trails with curb size rocks smooth lol. I do want to try an EXT shock just to see how they feel.....may get one for my Deviate Claymore that I'm building. I've heard of a good amount of X2 failures in recent years but they've had issues with that one since they first released it w/ only a 250psi max pressure....the "300psi" seals don't seem to be much better. I've had great experiences with the Factory Float X and the last 2 gens of DHX2 On my Rallon (22' Float X/19 'DHX2), Rise (22' Float X/22 'DHX2), Rail (21 'DHX2), Spur(22' Float X), Evil Calling (19 'DHX2)& Wreckoning V3(21 'DHX2). The Wreckoning came with an RS Super Deluxe Ulti coil which felt close to the performance of the the DHX2 but went Fox rear as I was running a 38.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I run an Ohlins TTX coil on my Rise it’s a great shock, due to linkage design not many shocks are compatible on Rise same as Specialized.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles