• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Clunk when taking up drive

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
As this is my first ebike, l am not sure if it's normal, but if l stop pedalling and then start again, there's a clunk as the motor re engages, worse in turbo mode.
Doesn't occur when starting off or slowing down the cadence, only if you actually stop pedalling then re start while the bike is moving.

lt's not an issue as such, but l wondered if this was normal.
Shimano STEPS 8000

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I would say it’s normal for Shimano
My rise has a ep8 and if stop peddling there’s a small clunk similar sound to the shimano rattle you here going to downhill

I am not a expert tho as this is the first bike I have owned with a Shimano motor

I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon ?

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Check the chainring and cassette have no unwanted free play. That would be bad. If not, most likely it's the engagement of the freehub on the rear wheel having a longer throw before it engages. There's also a small engagement delay in the e8000 but it's not huge and not noisey.

Also some bikes are just louder than others when it comes to amplifying sounds through the frame.

Gordon

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I would say it’s normal for Shimano
My rise has a ep8 and if stop peddling there’s a small clunk similar sound to the shimano rattle you here going to downhill

I am not a expert tho as this is the first bike I have owned with a Shimano motor

I am sure someone with more experience will be along soon ?
the e8000 doesn't have the ep8 clunk.

Gordon

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
The Shimano app says there's a firmware download for the motor, which l haven't done. Maybe that will improve it.

The bike is brand new so l doubt there is a fault.

lt only happens if you completely stop pedalling and then re start while the bike is moving. lt doesn't happen if you pedal slower and then speed up to re engage the free hub.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Highly unlikely that firmware will change much. The last few updates have basically just added logging to try and prevent derestriction.

Some play is normal, and if your hub also has some they'll add together to do what you're feeling. It *could* be a loose chainring or worn faulty freehub but it's unlikely (although you should check EVERY bolt on a new bike every few rides for the first dozen rides). More likely it's normal and you'll get used to it but it's hard without being able to see the bike in person.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles