Cleaning the chain

Clarky860

Mar 19, 2020
Austria
Is it unadvisable to take the chain off to clean it? I mean via the master link. I don't have a bike stand so find trying to turn the wheel impossible and don't have anyone who can help me, any tips for using a chain cleaning device alone?

simonk

SLayer ?
Jan 27, 2020
Exeter
Invest in a stand for washing and minor bits of maintenance I would. No need to spend loads...
Ibera Easy Utility Bicycle Stand,...

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Is it unadvisable to take the chain off to clean it? I mean via the master link. I don't have a bike stand so find trying to turn the wheel impossible and don't have anyone who can help me, any tips for using a chain cleaning device alone?

I wax my chains, so always take them off for cleaning and re-waxing. Dead easy with the master link.

A maintenance stand makes things so much easier. It doesn't need to be an expensive one.

paquo

Jul 31, 2018
usa
a stand and
White Lightning THE TRIGGER Chain cleaning system
411Eu0PrIiL._AC_.jpg

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
I bought one of the ABBA stands as well for keeping at my work. It really is pretty good and superb value for money. I was sceptical when Rich first mentioned it, but it does the job well.

The trick to using it is leave one side locked and use the other non locked side to secure/remove from the bike locking/unlocking as required.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If you’re going to get a bike stand, get a proper one.

abba Bicycle Work Stand, Repair Stand Mechanic Maintenance Workstand Workshop | eBay

There’s a knack to using it, but once you work it out, it’s a great bit of kit.

I don't think they ship outside the UK. They wouldn't ship to Spain. (OP is in Austria)

Alternatively, just use a cable tie around the pedal crank arm, and spin the chain backwards.

Agreed! Or a velcro strap is just as effective and re-usable too.

Clarky860

Mar 19, 2020
Austria
Stuck a piece of wood in front sprocket so I could turn the crank backwards with the sprocket, bit of gardening wire around the grip and brakes to stop the wheels moving and it seems to have worked.

I guess we aren't all as technically gifted as you #lazy ;)

Thanks for everyones inputs :)

(for info I have a chain cleaning device already, front sprocket would only turn forwards, bosh gen 4 motor. I wasn't intending on using the chain cleaning device with the chain off just curious if it's not so good for the chain to remove the master link for cleaning the chain off the bike)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles