Chewed through a XG-1275 cassette pretty quickly ... alternatives?

markloch

May 14, 2021
NorCal
Last August I built a set of wheels with an XD hub body (White Industries XMR+) for my Trek Rail 5, to replace the stock wheels which had an HG hub body. I haven't counted the miles on the cassette, nor can I recall if I've used just one or two GX chains.

After busting a link on the existing chain just as I was leaving home, I checked the stretch (a little less than 5%) and decided to put a new chain on. Alas, skipping over smaller cogs. I've reverted to the old chain (haven't ridden it yet).

Anyway, given XG-1275's retail for $231 (though take-offs on eBay show up considerably less, especially the 10-50's) I'm wondering whether to:
  1. get an HG hub body and stick with cheaper cassettes. I got a very good deal on the WH hub so wouldn't feel too bad about spending $165 for an HG body, and I like support local NorCal companies anyway. And I can of course resell the XD Hub.
  2. Stick with the HD body, keep an eye out for eBay deals on XG-1275's
  3. Try a Sunrace CSMZ91X WT5 - they're considerably less expensive than the XG, $150 or so, maybe a little cheaper with 'make offer's on eBay

And wondering about a rotating chain strategy, swapping between say three chains through a set of say three GX chains, swapping them every 200-300 miles (1-2 months).

Also considering stepping up from GX to XX1 chain, though 2x much I understand they last longer ... not sure how that equates to wear on the cassette.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles