Changing brakes on 2022 Reign E+ 1 - couple of questions

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I'm 1 month into E+ 1 ownership and indeed E-Biking, and absolutely loving the bike. Coming off a v long XL Pole, I am appreciating the shorter reach. Super fun with mullet too. As a long time RS and Manitou suspension guy, really enjoying the Fox kit front and back. Also bought a second, 800wh, battery which is helping range for big days. Haven't tried carrying the other in a backpack yet for really long days out, that can wait till spring!

Thanks for all the discussions on here, lots of great info.

Reason for my writing is that I really hate Shimano brakes, so replacing with my favourite Dominion A4s (borrowing off another bike in the garage). The Shimano wandering bite point is killing the fun on the current brakes, and I really do not get on with the feel overall. Also, my bad, doing the 20-teenth bleed (tried Marshy method and official Shimano so many times) after bike shop also gave it their best, I managed to push a piston out squint (bleed block was not covering the whole piston) and then shatter it pushing it back too hard. Bollocks.

The current brake cable has some shrink wrap where it exists the battery compartment, over the BB and into the chainstay - anyone know why? I assume, as this is a moving area, it's to avoid rub through or cable damage, but cannot see any other reason. thoughts?

Also, I have fiddled about and explored current routing, I think new cable routing should be fairly (fingers crossed) simple, but anyone have any experiences with this frame that might be of assistance?

Many thanks

trailaddict

Jul 7, 2021
Alps
Changed the rear brake hose just recently. Easy peasy job as with any other bike. The liner is there to protect the hose from rubbing. You can also use electrical heat shrink tubing if you want to replace it (bought mine on Amazon).

Jurassic

Subscriber
Jul 22, 2022
Helensburgh, Scotland.
I know what you mean about wandering bite point on these latest XT brakes! I've been a long time fan of Shimano brakes and have XT 4 pots on my enduro bike and Saints on my fat bike and they've been flawless but the ones on my e+1 have been terrible from the outset. I've tried multiple bleeds (every type under the sun), different pads, different rotors and they're still all over the place. I'm going to try Putoline oil in them as a last roll of the dice but if that doesn't work I'm going to swap to Maguras I think.

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Glad it ain't just me! My son likes them, so hopefully I will replace the now FUBARed caliper and he can put them on his bike as an upgrade to the 2 piston XTs he has currently. Which, BTW, have always done the wandering bite point thing, but he seems to like them!

ironically, before I tried just one more bleed this morning and shafted the piston, I also ordered Putoline 2.5wt. Lets see how it does.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
Changed the rear brake hose just recently. Easy peasy job as with any other bike. The liner is there to protect the hose from rubbing. You can also use electrical heat shrink tubing if you want to replace it (bought mine on Amazon).

The liner is doing a great job of protecting the hose, but the liner itself is eating the frame.

It should not be a serious issue before a considerable amount of riding, but still is stupid.

reignframe.jpg

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
I used this fella's tip for the cable routing - this is my first frame with full internal, all other bikes chosen with external routing as a key factor. Jeez internal is awful. Was little unsure how the routing worked under the top batter holder area, and the cable advice worked a treat. Was amazed, worked really well.

Rear cable is a bit short, routing is rather inneficient than on my other bikes that are actually longer in WB/Reach. have ordered a 2M cable that will do the job, lets hope I don't have a crash that spins the handlebars in the coming days 😆😬

I had to undo the banjo bolt on my dominions to reposition cable angle, and on getting ready for the first ride to bed the pads, couldn't understand why the rear lever would pull to the bars under pressure. Until I notice the fluid dripping down the tire from the banjo, all over the new pads and clean disc. FFS.

I a usually a good mechanic, honest! This rear brake is obviously jinxed 🙃

However - after first ride, Jesus wept what a difference. Dominions are the nuts nuts, so good to be using them again.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles