Chainring twists Like a pretzel. And draws Blood.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
So yesterday out of the blue while riding on the beach the chain pops off past the ethirteen chain guide, I put it back on It happens again. So this morning I inspect EVERYTHING all is well. Too be safe I throw on another 100.oo XTR Chain and while riding in circle on the flat hottop seeing if it would happen again this happens WTF Im supposed to leave on a 4 month roadtrip[ WITH THE TRAK I just spent a great deal of time and energy on. and I need a new chain AGAIN and WORSE New chainring which appears Nobdt=y has in stockl. This is F&^%ED!! does ANYONE know where I can get a new chainring that will work on this setup?
DSCN0696.JPG
DSCN0697.JPG
DSCN0702.JPG
DSCN0701.JPG
DSCN0700.JPG
DSCN0698.JPG

FrankM1

May 3, 2021
Canada
So yesterday out of the blue while riding on the beach the chain pops off past the ethirteen chain guide, I put it back on It happens again. So this morning I inspect EVERYTHING all is well. Too be safe I throw on another 100.oo XTR Chain and while riding in circle on the flat hottop seeing if it would happen again this happens WTF Im supposed to leave on a 4 month roadtrip[ WITH THE TRAK I just spent a great deal of time and energy on. and I need a new chain AGAIN and WORSE New chainring which appears Nobdt=y has in stockl. This is F&^%ED!! does ANYONE know where I can get a new chainring that will work on this setup? View attachment 64943 View attachment 64944 View attachment 64945 View attachment 64946 View attachment 64947 View attachment 64948
Your chainring is not compatible with Shimano chains, try any other 12speed chain than Shimano.

Third-Reef

Apr 1, 2021
i agree the chain ring tooth profile does not look right. You are also missing the chain guide. Chainring should look like this
1624384470644.png

FrankM1

May 3, 2021
Canada
and yet it came with a shimano as its a shimano XT version of the rail, and no chain helps now.
I see your chainring is twisted, try "ALUGEAR", they work great with SHIMANO 12 speed with HYPERGLIDE+, also I think your chain
wasn't installed correctly, the writing on the chain should be outside.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder if you smacked the ring when you had your off and didn't notice ? Once it's slightly out a powerhouse of a man like you will soon bend it further.

Maybe @e*thirteen Components can point you in the right direction to someone with one in stock for your trip ?

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA
about 50 the bike is a month old new chain new everything and it came form trek with this chain of which Im on my 3rd Shimano XTR M9100, 12 speed I found a place in Australia that sending two chainrings AND the rep from Trek has been ON IT trying to find one, Because this Bike the build is for video purposes and as it stands shes dead in the water.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
There’s no way that happened with outside interference. My e13 chain ring did 2250 miles before I changed it. The teeth were worn out but the ring is still round.

DtEW

Dec 8, 2020
Bay Area, California
Isn't that chain on backwards? Shimano chains have a direction - the etched side should be out, not the smooth side. Shimano's guidelines suggest that this could cause the chain to come off. Maybe that's the cause?

DM-MACN001-04-ENG.pdf (shimano.com)

Can confirm that the chain is definitely inside out. And the pin plates are indeed chamfered differently. The illustration is accurate.

Richiefromboston

Mar 15, 2021
Boston, Ma. USA

Geedog

Subscriber
Dec 5, 2020
Shillington, Bedfordshire
Hello, I've just this minute fitted a hope chainring, sram chain and slx cassette, after 1840 miles. Also,a 12 speed shimano and sram chain needs to be fitted correctly, both are directional.

20210623_145847.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles