Chain stuck! Grrrr

newforestbiker83

Aug 8, 2023
United Kingdom
Hi all, this is a persistent problem I'm experiencing and wondering if anyone else has had this. I think it's definitely to do with grit and dirt stopping some of the chain links from moving freely and causing the chain to go up from the front chainring and getting jammed up in the bike frame. The solution must be continual oiling of the chain and ring but I was also wondering what the purpose of the screw at the back of de-railer is? It seems to move the whole system up or down but I'm guessing the issue is more to do with the chain itself and keeping it well oiled. Thanks!

IMG_1854.jpg

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The screw on the derailleur is your B tension screw & is more about smooth shifting & chain tension. If your chainring is eating your chain regularly, you have chain suck. Lots of stuff on the internet about causes & cures. Top & bottom, clean your drivetrain, keep it lubed & inspect chain & chain ring for wear/bent teeth

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Hi all, this is a persistent problem I'm experiencing and wondering if anyone else has had this.

Looks like chain suck. It happens when your drivetrain components are worn out. Instead of the chain being pulled along by all the teeth on the chainring equally, the tooth on the bottom is carrying more of the load. Instead of letting go of the chain when it reaches the bottom, it drags the chain back up. The result is exactly what you're experiencing.

I suspect you'll be buying a chain, chainring, and cassette in the not-too-distant future.

newforestbiker83

Aug 8, 2023
United Kingdom
"chain suck" never heard of that one LOL. Indeed, the chain is brand new, the cassette and the chainring. All new. And it still happens. Possibly I need some better lube

Twisted Fork

Nov 1, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
If your drivetrain components are relatively new, is your problem potentially that your chain is placed a half link off on the chainring? This would result in the narrow links of the chain sitting on the alternating wide teeth of the chainring and not releasing smoothly. Just move the links forward or back one tooth on the chainring. I assume you’re using a compatible Shimano chainring too, and not a SRAM ring?

newforestbiker83

Aug 8, 2023
United Kingdom
If your drivetrain components are relatively new, is your problem potentially that your chain is placed a half link off on the chainring? This would result in the narrow links of the chain sitting on the alternating wide teeth of the chainring and not releasing smoothly. Just move the links forward or back one tooth on the chainring. I assume you’re using a compatible Shimano chainring too, and not a SRAM ring?
This is the most useful information and the main reason it was happening. I've applied some grease on the chainring too. The winner is....Twisted Fork!

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
Happened to me on a brand new bike after cycling across a wet beach…….sand etc clogging everything up.

David g

Jul 19, 2023
Cardiff
That is what was happening on my cube Kathmandu so if replaced the cassette and derailer and chain but still the same .so now iv replace my chainring and it's ok

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles