Shock bolt stuck and rounded

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
So, bought a new shock and tried to uninstall my DPX2. Haven’t taken it off since I bought the bike and it’s apparently pretty stuck.

I tried first with the correct size hex but eventually with enough force it just spinned around and rounded the bolt head. Then I hammered a Torx in there and tried with a 50cm lever and still it didn’t budge and eventually the Torx spinned around too. I’m out of options, the bolt seems like a hollow aluminum bolt so “easy out” probably won’t work either. I suppose there’s been a pretty liberal loctite application from the factory...

Suggestions?

1ECC367E-6945-46AE-859E-853DB34FC1CE.jpeg

1363FF76-F6F6-4510-AB40-EF1486505DBD.jpeg

ED686BF4-3970-4458-8BF5-9A876067440E.jpeg

davidjmilli

Nov 20, 2020
Dudley
Hi. Looks like a job for a screw extractor. The work by screwing in counter clockwise so when you wrench into them to tighten they unthread the other screw. Local hardware store will stock them or a quick google will show you the way.
Amazon have loads. Only thing to watch is some can be of dubious quality so it’s a bit of a lottery a more expensive one may not always be the best bet as it could have come out the same factory as a $4 set.

This one has an image of how they work.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
According to your photos, you have access to the other end of the bolt, so there is no need for bolt extractors or anything very technical. Drill out the bolt from the other side. Use a centre punch to make a small dimple in the centre (to stop the drill point from wandering at start up). Then start with a small drill, say 3mm or so. The friction will generate heat and loosen the grip of any Loctite that is in there. The drill torque will act to unwind the bolt. If the 3mm drill doesn't work, use a bigger one. Nice and steady!

Don't take it too far, as soon as the mangled bolt head is far enough out to grab with pliers remove it that way.

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
I have used a Dremel to cut a groove in the head of a bolt damaged like that and then used a large blade screwdriver to remove the bolt after liberal use of 'Liquid Wrench' and possibly some heat around the hole in the linkage to breakdown any locktite and expand the hole slightly. You might be able to get an EZ Out to work also.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
According to your photos, you have access to the other end of the bolt, so there is no need for bolt extractors or anything very technical. Drill out the bolt from the other side. Use a centre punch to make a small dimple in the centre (to stop the drill point from wandering at start up). Then start with a small drill, say 3mm or so. The friction will generate heat and loosen the grip of any Loctite that is in there. The drill torque will act to unwind the bolt. If the 3mm drill doesn't work, use a bigger one. Nice and steady!

Don't take it too far, as soon as the mangled bolt head is far enough out to grab with pliers remove it that way.

I think this is a hollow bolt, not sure if there’s any material to drill to inside the threaded part ?

I stuck an allen key with epoxy into the bolt head and will try if it works in a few hours...

9EC33B2B-4A10-4E3C-BDD9-3786A76EA5B8.jpeg

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
Drill into the otherside then hammer in a torx bit, do this along with the Allen key trick you are trying, or drill and torx bit this side too. Then attempt undo with applying pressure on both sides of the bolt.

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
Epoxy failed, drilling failed. Or well, it helped when I drilled deep enough for the 10mm bolt extractor to have enough grip. Tried with a smaller extractor first but almost went through the bolt and it didn’t come off.

All in all reason was lots of loctite under the bolt lip and bolt shaft.

F110D248-24DC-424C-9A38-2FC1AF7A9675.jpeg

0E00BFAC-ACE5-46ED-9A26-26C760D767CE.jpeg

77CBA63B-F562-4FCF-AA01-A547AEDDE05F.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Epoxy failed, drilling failed. Or well, it helped when I drilled deep enough for the 10mm bolt extractor to have enough grip. Tried with a smaller extractor first but almost went through the bolt and it didn’t come off.

All in all reason was lots of loctite under the bolt lip and bolt shaft.

View attachment 55301

View attachment 55302

View attachment 55303
I said to drill from the other end! The torque unwinds the bolt.

Anyway, you got it out without damaging the bike. :)

Keisari66

May 1, 2019
Finland
I said to drill from the other end! The torque unwinds the bolt.

Anyway, you got it out without damaging the bike. :)

I drilled from the other end too with no help? just no photo of it! It was so tight my drill wouldn’t have had the initial power needed to unwind it. I had a 40cm lever on that extractor and I was jumping on it with my full 200lbs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I know, it's tricky isn't it !!

This time , serious ! If you use a left handed drill bit with the drill in reverse, then quite often as the drill bites it will unwind the stuck bolt.
Ah, you have a reverse option!! High Tech Stuff. I would have to ring up the National Grid and get them to reverse polarity for the whole of my village. On balance it is quicker to drill from the other end (and not have to buy a left hand drill either.)

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
On balance it is quicker to drill from the other end (and not have to buy a left hand drill either.)
Sometimes that's not an option !! Hence why the left hand drill bit cheapo set from china can be invaluable for those rare moments you need it ! It might be that Australian ones are that way round as standard ? Are drill bits formed by liquid metal being poured down a sink ?

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Drill out the bolt from the other side.

Yeah, I know this thread has been going on longer than I've been here. But sometimes when an answer to a question is several orders of magnitude better than all the others, you have to abandon protocol and bump it back up to the top.

The beauty of Steve's solution is its elegant simplicity. Often, the reluctant fastener will just spin out when you drill it. If it's still stuck, use the next size drill. On really stubborn problems, you'll drill through the screw, and you'll start seeing the female threads. At this point, get out your picks and start digging the remnants of the screw by hand. Because you don't want to increase the hole size by any appreciable amount, you want to want to center punch the screw exactly in the middle. It's also important to be able to drill a hole perfectly straight. Practice precision skills on inconsequential projects, and then you'll have them when it really matters.

The left hand drill bits would not be "wrong" for this application, but it would be more difficult to start the hole dead center in the buggered up screw head. It's easier to find center from the other side. Also, I'm a cheapskate. I only have a few compete sets of left hand drill bits. They're expensive. I have many more right hand drill sets, and they're cheaper, so I'd rather use those first. Save the expensive tools for when you REALLY need them.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles