Centrelock to 6 bolt conundrum

Bobba Fett22

Jan 4, 2022
Nelson
Hi everyone,

I've got an M20 rise ebike and a bontrager rear carbon wheel. It's a 6 bolt I'm wondering if there a way (adapter) to use shimanos centrelock discs or is there any 6 bolt compatible ebike rotors out there ?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
The Rises which have 6 bolt rotors by default come with Galfer rotors: Products – Galfer Bike

But any make should work, e.g. I’ve switched to Hayes ones.

So if you have one on your Bontrager wheel already, then it should be fine. (So long as the radius and thickness match.)

Bobba Fett22

Jan 4, 2022
Nelson
Brilliant many thanks. They come with Shimano rotors which already have built in magnet. Shame they only make it in centrelock

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
@Murphius My Rise has centre locks - I want to try a 27.5 wheel that has a 6 bolt rotor on the rear that I have spare, don't want to buy any new discs as I have a 6 bolt one lying around so sticking a magnet to it sounds like a good plan.

What dimension was the magnet that you used, and where about on the disc did you attach it - If I were to stick a magnet on I am concerned it may foul the sensor or brake calliper?

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington
@Murphius My Rise has centre locks - I want to try a 27.5 wheel that has a 6 bolt rotor on the rear that I have spare, don't want to buy any new discs as I have a 6 bolt one lying around so sticking a magnet to it sounds like a good plan.

What dimension was the magnet that you used, and where about on the disc did you attach it - If I were to stick a magnet on I am concerned it may foul the sensor or brake calliper?
I used an 8mm diameter x 3mm thick magnet. The radius of the centerline for the magnet is about 7 mm greater than the radius of the centerline for the 6 bolt pattern. You can just eyeball it and make sure you locate the magnet in line with the sensor on the chainstay. With my Magura rotor, the magnet would hold itself (at low speeds on a stand) so I was able to verify it worked prior to using JB Weld.

Murphius

Jun 19, 2020
Washington

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Maybe this is useful? Shimano Ep8 ebike users with 6 bolt rotors

I used an adapter to go from centrelock hub to 6-bolt discs but it wasn't ideal and always had a bit of play, I ended up buying centrelock discs... I guess there must be an adapter that goes the other way.
Thanks, I am actually doing it the opposite way. The 27.5 wheel I have is 6 a bolt hub and I have a 6 bolt rotor without magnet - so gonna stick a magnet to it to see if I like the mullet :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles