Orbea Rise - 6 bolt rotors with magnet

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Afternoon all

I have purchased some custom wheelsets with Hope Pro 4 hubs

The Pro 4 hubs use 6 bolt rotors rather than centrelock

I need to source a 6 bolt rotor but with a magnet for the speed sensor for the rear wheel. The only type I can find online are the Jagwire rotors, but they seem very expensive compared to other rotors, don’t want to pay over the top just for having a built in magnet

So, is there a simple adapter that works to mount the magnet to the rotor and be set in the correct position for the speed sensor ?

Thanks

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland

bosch-magnet-6-bolt-for-speed-sensor-slim-1.jpg

This is the route im going too. I've a pair of new pair of pro4's to fit, and after looking about found out this is the magnet you use. I've not tried it yet so im still a bit apprehensive.
I dont know if theres different versions, so mine is a scott so i specified scott, yours is orbea, so type in o"orbea bosch magnet etc", though for all that it might not matter and the sensor is exactly the same.
I got mine on ebay.
Its rotor on first, and two of the holes you fit the sensor.

My dilemma is made a bit worse though, as i first had to increase the axle from 142 to 148 using Hope's boost kit, so for me it might be a bit more of a faff around.

Last edited:

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I have that magnet on my Rise I also have a Magura magnet on MDR-P rotors on my other wheel set both work no issues

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Does that put the magnet at the correct dimension for the EP8 sensor though, it says it’s for the Bosch motor and Orbea Wild ?
I dont know for sure, but i assume so.
Ive also to fit a pair of V4's, which i need the shop to do so i was intending on fitting the wheel prior to riding there, but i wont have a back brake. I could only fit the wheel and find out if the sensor works and have no brake, or wait, take the brake and wheel to the shop, have them fit both, then work out the sensor issue when they've fitted it.

So bloody confusing all this stuff :LOL: Ive been building bikes for years but im so lost here im left worried, probably about nothing.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I have that magnet on my Rise I also have a Magura magnet on MDR-P rotors on my other wheel set both work no issues

Brilliant, good to know thanks

Another question, open to anyone. What’s the difference between a floating rotor and a standard rotor ? Floating are more expensive so I presume they dissipate heat better ?

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Standard rotors are all steel. Floating rotors are alloy body with a steel braking surface riveted on.
I think its something to do with heat dissipation. As the rotor heats up theres a chance it can warp. Floating is better they say because it doesnt warp.
Personally I've not a clue as ive yet to get a rotor that hot to find out.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Standard rotors are all steel. Floating rotors are alloy body with a steel braking surface riveted on.
I think its something to do with heat dissipation. As the rotor heats up theres a chance it can warp. Floating is better they say because it doesnt warp.
Personally I've not a clue as ive yet to get a rotor that hot to find out.

Thanks, for the explanation, makes sense. I have all steel rotors on at present and had no issues so will stick with all steel again!

Randomdave

Subscriber
Dec 19, 2021
Woodstock, ga
I've heard the Specialized Levo 6 bolt magnet works well too and has a more powerful magnet.
s194200016.jpg

I have a Wild FS and used the Bosch 6 bolt when I upgraded my wheels, but had to put three washers between magnet and rotor, and also had to glue a small fridge magnet to it, to get it close enough to the sensor (8 - 14mm).
291903860_161185416467731_2164817122378731114_n.jpg

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
well whatever the reason, your brake pads were only making contact with the outside portion of the mating surface, so it appears like the incorrect brake adapter was being used for the rotor size. Happens a lot, we see this in the shop quite a bit, and it makes for a pretty dangerous situation for the rider as the brakes work marginally, and then all of a sudden not at all once the pad material wears enough that they bottom out on each other.

ebsocalmtb

Sep 29, 2021
Southern-Cal
yeah, I'd bet a 5r that the rotor was 200mm and not 203mm and you were using the 203mm adapter that is on your bike now. That's why there is/was 3mm of friction surface on the rotor that the pads did not make contact with, and that's why the pads died a pre-mature death. Common occurrence and something that bike shops see often.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
Afternoon all

I need to source a 6 bolt rotor but with a magnet for the speed sensor for the rear wheel. The only type I can find online are the Jagwire rotors, but they seem very expensive compared to other rotors, don’t want to pay over the top just for having a built in magnet

So, is there a simple adapter that works to mount the magnet to the rotor and be set in the correct position for the speed sensor ?

Thanks

How about this ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
How about this ?

perfect thanks

I also emailed Orbea and asked the same question, they have confirmed that the X240000 is the correct type to use on the Rise with 6 bolt rotors 👊🏼

Richridesmtb

Jan 23, 2022
Australia
it was a cheap rotor from china but pads ran out in no time and then it was doomed to fail and my xd driver bit the dust not long after that.

but i still have the same adaptor that i used with that cheap rotor and never had a problem since.
Cheap Chinese rotors are probably made out of crap quality steel. So along with the diameter issue they're probably not going to hold up to heavy, sustained braking.

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Cheap Chinese rotors are probably made out of crap quality steel. So along with the diameter issue they're probably not going to hold up to heavy, sustained braking.
Given how important braking is, i personally would never ever look to some cheap option for brakes, be that the brakes themselves or the rotors. Your life really does depend on it.

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas
Afternoon all

Thanks
I am in the process of changing the anemic brake system on my 2021 Orbea Rise M-LTD also, but the rear rotor has an add-on speed sensor magnet already attached, which should be usable with the 203 rotors I have ordered. Does your rear rotor not have one you can remove and use on your new setup?

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
OPs bike came with centrelock hubs & changing to 6 bolt so cannot transfer magnet over
I am in the process of changing the anemic brake system on my 2021 Orbea Rise M-LTD also, but the rear rotor has an add-on speed sensor magnet already attached, which should be usable with the 203 rotors I have ordered. Does your rear rotor not have one you can remove and use on your new setup?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

I’m also keeping the original wheelsets so I have two sets, wet & dry tyres, so don’t want to be changing the rotors every time I decide to change the wheels if you see what I mean

GizmoSL

Dec 15, 2020
San Antonio Texas
Afternoon all

Thanks
My Rise 2021 M-LTD has a an add-on rotor already attached, which I assume will be usable with the 203 rotors I have ordered. Changing to 4 piston calipers will be the biggest improvement, I guess, but I do like 203 IceTech rotors. I have them on my Mondraker Crafty and they stop that heavy beast in its tracks, so a similar setup on the Rise will be overkill, which is good when you are talking brakes.

andelmanj

Feb 4, 2022
Woodfords, CA
Afternoon all

Thanks
Howdy. I use a 10x2mm neodymium magnets. They are small and very powerful. I had some carbon wheels I wanted to use on my Rise and could not find a rotor with the sensor. I now run a 6 bolt rotor with a magnet placed where the sensor would be. I live in Lake Tahoe, great riding with lots of boulders. The magnet is still in place!

Good luck.
J~

eddomak

Feb 4, 2022
Australia
PXL_20220817_075217942.jpg

I also used a rare earth magnet (10mm diameter, 2mm thick) that I used araldite (epoxy) on my Magura centrelock rotors. You can see it at the 2 o'clock position in the photo. Much cheaper than other brand options.

So long as the magnet triggers the sensor you are OK, as it is just measuring a full revolution (and not an exact distance) that corresponds to the general outside diameter of a 29" tyre.

As for the question around the definition of a floating rotor I think it is just that the carrier portion of the disc (that bolts onto the axle) is not attached rigidly to the outer braking surface. Usually it is achieved by some design that allows the outer disc to be clamped to the inner carrier) in a non-rigid fashion.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I use one of these Magura magnets in my Magura 6 bolt rotor, they fit though the hole & held in place, work great on the Rise

AEAE8D0B-F21C-4A9E-904C-4001D2A261EF.jpeg

6CA3C754-749B-4F69-B782-25F334429990.png

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I use one of these Magura magnets in my Magura 6 bolt rotor, they fit though the hole & held in place, work great on the Rise

View attachment 95513

View attachment 95514

I’ve bought all the kit and it’s sitting in a box with the new wheelsets waiting to be put together. Might do it at the bank holiday weekend. I just purchased those Bosch magnets that bolt to the rotor bolts. Hope they work ok!

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Afternoon all

Thanks
Tubby,

Here is the part link to Orbea's UK website for the magnet adapter mentioned in the above posts.

Screenshot 2022-08-22 08.50.49.jpg

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Thanks Rod. Orbea sent me that link via email too and it turns out it is exactly the same Bosch magnet as mentioned in the first reply (#2) in this thread
It typically takes about two to three weeks to get Rise parts from Orbea in Spain. Maybe source the Bosch magnet locally so you don't have to wait?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles