Cassettes & Chains, a greater e-bike consumable than brake pads and tyres?

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Ebikes are way under built in the drivetrain. I won't buy another until I can spec one with a rhollolf E14 or they bring out a gearbox bike.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
This setup is interesting. It just seems to be nearly impossible to change from 12 speed to 11, 10 or 9 speed without enormous tradeoff in gear range.
eh? an XD 11 speed 10-46 cassette offers tons of range, as does an HG 10 speed 11-42. but 10 and 11 speed 11-50/52 cassettes are available if you REALLY feel the need for that low a gear.
I don't know why you'd even consider 9 speed as it's either cheap old clutchless technology from Sram/Shimano or overpriced Emtb specific shite from lesser brands.
Folk also don't seem to realise that running a small chainring is actually reducing their cassette longevity by forcing them into using the faster wearing smaller sprockets more. And a 10t or smaller sprocket on an Emtb is just stupid.
Closer ratio cassettes allow you to run less B-tension which moves the top pulley closer to the cassette, improving shifting and increasing chainwrap in the smaller sprockets. all contributing to greater longevity

Have you ever thought during riding that couple teeth bigger sprocket than 36t would be nice?
No.
36x36 even in eco is still massively easier gear to climb in than any of my normal bikes and I don't struggle on them.
I wouldn't run it if it was unsuitable.

The only time I'd ever use a 42t (or larger) sprocket is when climbing with the motor switched off, But I'm fine turning 36x36 and occasionally having to stand up. It's still a lot easier lowest gear than my roadbike and some of the road climbs around here are mtb steep.
I'm not lazy. and I don't go hunting for shite almost unclimbable climbs for the sake of it. I do like a challenging climb but most of the challenge is negated with a 250w motor and 32x52t gearing. It's also actually pretty hard to find climbs that haven't previously been done on a normal bike by a fit skillful rider anyway. So for me hunting them out would just be a waste of battery.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
eh? an XD 11 speed 10-46 cassette offers tons of range, as does an HG 10 speed 11-42. but 10 and 11 speed 11-50/52 cassettes are available if you REALLY feel the need for that low a gear.
I don't know why you'd even consider 9 speed as it's either cheap old clutchless technology from Sram/Shimano or overpriced Emtb specific shite from lesser brands.
Folk also don't seem to realise that running a small chainring is actually reducing their cassette longevity by forcing them into using the faster wearing smaller sprockets more. And a 10t or smaller sprocket on an Emtb is just stupid.
Closer ratio cassettes allow you to run less B-tension which moves the top pulley closer to the cassette, improving shifting and increasing chainwrap in the smaller sprockets. all contributing to greater longevity

No.
36x36 even in eco is still massively easier gear to climb in than any of my normal bikes and I don't struggle on them.

The only time I'd ever use a 42t (or larger) sprocket is when climbing with the motor switched off, But I'm fine turning 36x36 and occasionally having to stand up. It's still a lot easier lowest gear than my roadbike and some of the road climbs around here are mtb steep.
I'm not lazy. and I don't go hunting for shite almost unclimbable climbs for the sake of it. I do like a challenging climb but most of the challenge is negated with a 250w motor and 32x52t gearing. It's also actually pretty hard to find climbs that haven't previously been done on a normal bike by a fit skillful rider anyway. So for me hunting them out would just be a waste of battery.
There is a hill at Rockville hills regional park in fairfield ca that my original posse calls "big hill". I've never climbed it non stop with analogue and while e-bikes are prohibited and I rarely ride e there , the only time I've ever successfully climbed big hill non stop in 25 years is with my ebike. The thing with sketch ebike climbs is that if you fail it's a 60 lb monster falling back on you vs 30 lbs...same holds for sketch switch back climbs . E-bikes don't like to lean over as far as analogue.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I bet someone else has climbed "Big Hill" on a normal bike though. Which was my point.
I wouldn't ever ride a 50lb Eeb. Nevermind a 60lb one. Mine's 47lb and I happen to think when they get much over 50lb they lose nimbleness and start to handle shit for a playful rider.
Previous to Ebikes I had over a decades experience racing OG DH bikes in thick mud in the late 90s early/mid '00s when they weighed around 47lb so have never encoutered the struggle you seem to have found with lean angles or tight switchbacks. We also used to push those bikes to the top of DH tracks all day long every weekend. Sounds like you need to work on your technique, line choice and possibly strenghten up a little. Not to mention lose some weight off the bike.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
No it's not line choice. It's progressively steep. I've climbed it multie times on my non e bikes but never non stop. I call them geriatric rest stops.

Having never ridden a 47 lb e bike I can't really say how much superior it is...what I do know is that it negotiates near everything except what I mentioned. I'm sure a superior rider would be able to do more. Personally the only thing I object to a heavy bike is how much your upper body and hands get thrashed on the descents when all the weight is in your hands. I bought rev grips and a rental carbon bar to help with that.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
how much your upper body and hands get thrashed on the descents when all the weight is in your hands.
That's the rider mate. you shouldn't have anywhere near all your weight going through your bars. Your legs, hips and core should be taking the majority of your body weight and absorbing the majority of the roughness. sounds like you're relying far too much on your bike's suspension. Ride a hardtail for a while on the same terrain at the same speed and you'll toughen up in no time.
I bought rev grips and a rental carbon bar to help with that.
Rev grips are awful. they're actually detrimental to good control. and relying on those and a carbon bar just backs up my previous assumption about your riding style/technique

Reactions: jk-

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia

No.

Dude. I'm getting more mileage out of one steel £30 cassette and one £10 chain than that with zero need to mess about swapping chains or sprockets to eek out extra life.
and I'm not riding in a dry climate like California

Use paragtraph breaks. Or at least paragraphs.

I wouldn't care if EX1 had never made it to production in the first place. it was OLD technology when released. And sold at a ridiculous price.

You talk a good ride . But offer no evidence . I think we need to see some footage of these mega tech climbs , the super fast descending and the skate park jibbing . Or we will think that it all happens in your own head ...

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Ahh a true connoisseur. He knows how shitty a rider I am based on my posting. Or else he is a mean spirited guy who loves to shit on people. One or the two I guess.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Sß$sß#zsss#ddzerrrdrrr

im a 70 y o rider who rides on the average 100-200miles single track and 10k -20 k feet of climbing a month. You can look at my Strava. 50% ebike 50% analogue..I never claimed to be launching. What are you 25 -45 yo. Oh and your medical degree is from where because you know so much about hand injuries. Where did you get yours?? Wait I know where I got mine. Let's see what you are up to at 70. Playing video games ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Ahh a true connoisseur. He knows how shitty a rider I am based on my posting
No. simply a realistic interpretation of your riding based entirely on your own posts.
I didn't call you shitty. Lots of us here have injuries.
Calm down and get over yourself.

jk-

Jan 26, 2020
Around
loool is my answer

Honestly. just because its e rated, yes i can run it but at the same time standard bike part's work just fine.

Plus its cheaper ...

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Not local to me but I do know those trails fairly well Rosey (about an hour away)

Scott's a sound laddie! Knew him and his old man from the Scottish DH scene.
RIP Derek

kylnman

Jan 6, 2020
Virginia, USA
Running the first and only Shimano SLX 11 speed drivetrain complete--chain, chainring, cassette--on my Decoy, put into service August, 2019. I have over 2500 miles running around in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia. I'm 225 lbs, and every ride sees 2000'-4500' of gnarly vertical gain. I'm not changing a thing until the chain rollers explode, although my experiment has lasted far longer than expected by a long shot, and still works perfectly. Not to say new stuff wouldn't "feel" great (for a few minutes anyway), but I've saved hundreds in beer money not changing chains, cassettes, and rings in the manner I've done for 30+ years.

Last edited:

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I found a.shimano cs 5100 all steel cassette11-51 on websites. $98 . Is the steel used to.fab this cassette equivalent to "tool" steel of the ex1 cassette in terms of hardness and I assume resistance to wear?

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Just a simple question. But sigh on. Wish I was a wise as you. SRAM EX1 Review: 8-gear drivetrain for E-MTBs | E-MOUNTAINBIKE Magazine

Here is an old review of the ex1 cassette. I never said it's worth it to have a billet case hardened metal cassette body milled from a single block ( sort of sounds like sram red for roadies) . It came on the bike. The claimed benefits sure sound nice but ...and seeing I'm just a poser Gary , I really don't know if it matters to real riders like you in terms of longevity. Again it came.with the bike but I did buy one additional cassette a couple of years ago. In my pathetic 70 yo riding style , not like a man like you, I did find that single shifts vs multishifts work fine with the spacing. I don't think I'm on the 48 cog much , but for sure it gets used.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
One thing additional my son who really knows how to ride but he's probably also a poser , right Gary, he says that you're basically something called a keyboard warrior and he was laughing that I bothered getting into anything with a guy like you said people like you hang out in these places just to burnish their meanness. But I said no Gary is a good guy he's a serious Rider and he's just concerned that perhaps I am misrepresenting things.

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
For years I've done pushups and uplift type riding and have never had to replace even a chain.
Now I have an ebike I seem to be spending more on chains, cassettes and sprockets than I spent on uplifts.
It's the sram 11 speed cassette that's the killer at £100 or so when only 1 cog is slipping.
I need to investigate a cheaper alternative.
But I guess I'm doing 3x more runs than I ever used to to when pushing up plus riding both days at the weekend, where as previously I would have a recovery day.

Last edited:

Randy

Apr 23, 2020
Henley on Thames
I’m 2k miles into my emtb and I’m on my third chain, 2nd cassette which is on its 2nd set of the smallest 2 cogs. I’m on 12 speed shimano and Tempted to go to 10 speed. The 10 tooth cog is just silly and clogs causing it to skip which takes the edges of the teeth.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
2200 off-road miles on my Whyte, and disappointingly, the third SRAM XG-1150 cassette is done.

So in that nine months and 2200 miles

3 cassettes £300
4 chains £50
1 chainring £25
2 rear tyres £100
1 front tyre £50
4 pairs brake pads £50

Total £575
So 0.26p/mile, or £8 to £10 per average ride.

And that is before we throw in copious amounts of lube, cleaner, tyre sealant, leccy and the depreciation on the bike itself

Since the first chain and cassette replacement I have cleaned and lubed after "every" ride, and in my experience makes only a marginal difference to the longevity of the drivetrain. The wear is unsurprisingly spread in the lower half of the cassette, but not the smallest cogs.
Derailleur, including B gap is spot on.

My average ride is 30 to 40 miles in all weathers on mixed Yorkshire terrain
Mostly in Eco, or Tour, occasionally in EMTB, never in Turbo.

Thoroughly enjoyable, but not cheap.

I will see how this compares to the mileage / wear on the new 1x12 XT hardtail pushbike, that is swiftly raking up miles.

In comparison, I can only remember changing the cassette twice on my old 3x9 XT / XTR equipped hardtail in 18 years and stellar mileage.

In a Terry Wogan voice... "Is it me ?"

The last bit won't mean a thing unless your a UK based old fart like me.
How much do you weight?
Change chain sooner to protect your cassette.
You should stop shifting under load.
I do so much better this is ridiculous.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles