Brake Pads

Jun 15, 2021
sussex
I think I got my moneys worth out of the OEM pads that came with my MT7s. I managed about 150 miles of mixed trails, downhills and bike parks.
brake pads.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I would think some causes of excessive brake wear include............crap pads, pads not properly bedded in ( although that usually means minimal braking power rather than wear) , excessive brake dragging, faulty callipers or rotors or rotor alignment with the pads. Regardless of conditions you would expect sintered pads to last hundreds of miles. Your first picture not only showed the pads worn right down but also heavilly scored. That suggests the rotor is chewing up the pad material so I would check the pads are actually running on the braking surface of the rotors.

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I think I got my moneys worth out of the OEM pads that came with my MT7s. I managed about 150 miles of mixed trails, downhills and bike parks. View attachment 73595
Looks like trail grit caused some of that wear, depending on riding conditions that’s unavoidable. As for general wear the organic compounds generally wear quicker (especially in wet/mud), run quieter, fade more… I’ve run stock SRAM Code pads, Kool-Stop organic blend and MTX reds on my analog trail bikes for over 20 years and find the Kool-Stop & MTX do best job of braking and acceptable wear. On DH bike and my e-mtb the MTX gold pads outperform the stock sintered pads in modulation, match the grip, seem to handle fade better and run quieter overall. BTW, I just switched rotors on e-mtb running MTX gold pads to SRAM’s new gen “HS2” rotors which are a tad thicker, offer more braking surface for power and are supposedly cooler running… I get some noticeable difference in fade, more difficult for me to truly judge power.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
It's the compound. Organic pads disintegrate in the wet. Metallics won't even sweat it.

I once tried some ceramic Amazon specials. They were GREAT for the dry. I mean really really good. And they *performed* well in the wet. The problem is they wore down to the backing plate on a single ~16 mile wet ride. Luckily I only had them on one end so I still had brakes to get home.

OTOH Shimano metallics generally last me 1 year, including winter. But they definitely can get noisy.

Desert_Turtle

Mar 1, 2022
Palmdale, CA
I use the MTX gold pads. I get 400-500 miles from a set of FF/RR pads. I ride fairly aggressively and weigh 205lbs. There is something really wrong if you’re only getting a day out of a set of pads.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles