Brake pads

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
The damage to the spring is the clue. The spring was not fitted properly in the first place which means the brake pad was not releasing from the rotor on one side and being presented to the rotor at an angle when the brakes were re applied. The accumulated rubbish on the pad shows that it was not being wiped......it only gets wiped by the rotor if the contact is along its full width front to back.
Those pads are toast...........best to check the rotor for damage as well.
This.

Screenshot_20231121_200804_Chrome.jpg

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
The spring is held in place with the pin in the centre, if it was out of place one side it would be out of place on the opposite pad too, the pad looks worn pretty even, Dude has put 200 mile on them, if they wasn't fitted properly he would have known a lot earlier. theyve just worn away...

Apr 21, 2023
Hull
Update is new pads and rotor got a bit of wear as well so got a new rear hope floating rotor in go!! front pads had about 30percent left aswell so changing them just means I'll have to carry on with a gold theme now 😀

E Bob

Feb 15, 2021
torfaen
Update is new pads and rotor got a bit of wear as well so got a new rear hope floating rotor in go!! front pads had about 30percent left aswell so changing them just means I'll have to carry on with a gold theme now 😀
if you use a rucksack or bag of any kind chuck them 30% pads and the spring in there, Could get you out the S..T one day

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
Having only used organic or metalic brake pads where the latter last me the better part of a season of bike parks and steep trails, I still can't understand how you go thru so much of your pads, so quickly. I am sure when you said that you did all that carnage in 200 miles, it was not only going downhill the entire time (or do you only count the DH?). Where do you ride?

Canyon Shawn

Feb 4, 2023
Lake Sherwood, California
That is a symptom of not bedding in new pads properly.

I failed to properly prepare a bike I was lending to a mate who was visiting from abroad. I fitted new pads to the rear, but forgot to bed them in. When I remembered, it was too late so I asked him to bed them in as we set off on the trail (there was a group of us). It was raining heavily and the notoriously gritty trail was very wet. I was at the front and he was at the back, so I couldn't keep an eye on him.

He never said anything to me, but he went through both pads to the backing plate and destroyed the springs in 12 miles! :eek:
That has nothing to do with not bedding in the pads properly. If anything, not bedding in the pads properly will glaze the pads over, they’ll become harder, last longer, but provide no breaking power and squeal like a MFer.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I had a similar thing a month ago . Got a pair of Aztec pads for £10. For some reason I used the hope spring with them so all ok but they didn't last long though. When I put Hope ones in I used the Aztec spring. Spring is a gnats hair smaller I thought it would be ok. Got 5 rides spring must have broke and both pads down to metal.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Ref the folk saying that not bedding in the pads had nothing to do with the pads wearing out in 12 miles on a wet and gritty ride. As far as I know it was the only thing different to what I normally do, apart from the rider of course. The pads on my bike didn't have a problem. After discovering the extreme pad wear, I fitted some new pads of the same type, bedded them in properly and the bike never had a problem again with pad wear. I've experienced nothing like it before or since.
I am open to suggestions as to what it could be. Genuine interest, not being sarcastic. :)

Christurbo

Subscriber
Jul 11, 2023
North Wales
Comfort braking.... be more assertive and confident and this shouldn't happen.

Comfort braking caused rotors and pads to overheat and deteriorate.

jgusta

Mar 21, 2021
USA
I'm wondering if this is normal after about 200 miles the pad seems to have seriously deteriorated noticed a sequel while out on Saturday just taken pads out to clean and noticed this, brakes are
TRP Trail Evo, 4-piston, sintered metal pads, 220mm front rotor, 203mm rear rotor

View attachment 129503 View attachment 129504 View attachment 129505
I have found Sram pads (metallic) to be quite poor myself due to very minimal longevity. I just switched to MTX Gold pads myself. Ebikes eat brake pads more so than regular bikes so need to account for that as well

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
Can't really add much to this conversation that hasn't been covered already but I can recommend Uberbike race matrix brake pads. Great performance and long life, been using them exclusively on my Hayes dominion a4's without issue.

D

Downhillr

Jul 2, 2021
SF Bay, California
I have found Sram pads (metallic) to be quite poor myself due to very minimal longevity. I just switched to MTX Gold pads myself. Ebikes eat brake pads more so than regular bikes so need to account for that as well
Those MTX (gold) pads have served many of riders in our group here in SF Bay/Santa Cruz quite well… some riding e-bikes, some just hard chargers on analog bikes

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles