Levo Gen 2 Carbon rims, do they make a difference?

JetSedgwick

E*POWAH Master
Aug 29, 2020
Lake Tahoe California
I've never owned carbon rims, anyone that's ridden both think they make a difference? if so, how?

I've demo'd bikes equipped with carbon rims and I don't think I could tell the difference.

muzzman1

Feb 11, 2019
Los Angeles CA
For me, I ended up getting a great deal ($650) on some Roval traverse carbon's for my 1st '19 levo comp. I bought a '20 comp and could feel the difference in the chatter mitigation so much that I ended up paying $850 for my 2nd set. Now both of my bikes have Fox factory and carbon wheels/bars. Smooth as butter on my SoCal dry chattery trails.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
I found the total opposite...
i found carbon rims rode way to harsh that i went back to alloy ... they are brilliant when hitting corners through rough sections as they go where you point them....but i felt so fatigued after every ride.

this was a few years ago when they first came out... (ibis 35mm wide wheels) new ones could be better.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
I think this thread is a great example of why we shouldn't compare technologies or materials. I'm sure it's possible to design a carbon rim that has more radial compliance than an alloy rim, and vice versa. A particular carbon rim might be heavier than a particular alloy rim. There are strong carbon rims and weak carbon rims, and the same goes for alloy.

Carbon and alloy have different material properties, but the actual design plays as much of a role in rim performance as does the material.

And then there is the topic of number of spokes, what they are made of, and their diameter.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
When I was looking into upgrading my wheels, I looked into buying a carbon wheelset for a performance upgrade (mostly for people to say "ooooooh, carbon wheels!"). My LBS put it like this, if you tend to dent aluminum wheels, you will probably break carbon wheels. If you damage or break carbon wheels that have a good warrantee on them them, its only for the rims and not the rebuild on the wheel or shipping. My DH bike's rear wheel (Mavic 729) has many dents in it so I bought DT Swiss EX510 rims and installed Cushcore and am very happy with my decision. Your style of riding, skill level and financial situation will dictate your decision.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles