Weight difference in just alum vs carbon frame?

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
Can someone tell me the weight difference between the aluminum levo frame (2020) and the carbon levo frame (2020)? No components just the frames.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Carbon frame on a mtb is not about weight it is about stiffness and controlled flex for a given classification of use. Different story on a road bike.

wrayb

May 9, 2019
North Carolina
I weigh every Levo we build in the shop, it averages at a half a pound weight difference. Not once have I seen one weigh 800g less
Interesting. I always put more stock on actual data from a person who actually did something verses something I read from a website I googled. Can you clarify...are you weighting just the frames or the entire bikes?

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Carbon frame on a mtb is not about weight it is about stiffness and controlled flex for a given classification of use. Different story on a road bike.

Given we’ve established the weights vary can you trust one Levo rides exactly the same as the next?

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Interesting. I always put more stock on actual data from a person who actually did something verses something I read from a website I googled. Can you clarify...are you weighting just the frames or the entire bikes?
I have weighed just frames and entire bikes. The biggest difference I have measured is 500g. I have seen weight discrepancies of up to 300g between two identically sized bikes in the same exact model.
This is why most companies won’t publish weights. Most that do only publish the average weight of the smallest size.
For example YT says the weight of the Decoy Pro is 48lbs in their website. I weighed the first one I ever worked on at 50.3lbs. I weighed a 2017 Levo Expert that I was also working on that day for a comparison. It weighed 51.2lbs and it’s completely aluminum.
The thing is on an Ebike a pound or two doesn’t amount to a whole lot of difference on a 48 to 50lbs bike anyway.
You can easily make up the difference with lighter tires tires and wheels which makes a much bigger difference in handling, rotational weight and range.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I completely agree on a regular mountain bike or road bike. On a Levo, there is no noticeable difference.
Carbon makes a bigger difference in letting everyone know you paid more. It feeds the ego not the ride.
I should know I have both
2644E3C8-4318-4413-8590-19DB030C2151.jpeg

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
All manufacture has +/- tolerances. I would guess ally has a smaller manufacture tolerance overall than carbon since the tube manufacture is fully automated albeit there is no way you can accurately determine the weight added by the weld process. Carbon has a much greater manual layup component and I would guess tolerance % is greater. Assuming the tubes are prepreg and then cured in an autoclave, that part of the process should be pretty precise depending only on accurate heat setting and duration.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Given we’ve established the weights vary can you trust one Levo rides exactly the same as the next?

Since it primarily the intrinsic design of the frame that gives its ride characteristics and small weight variance would not be noticeable......even less so on an E MTB.

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Since it primarily the intrinsic design of the frame that gives its ride characteristics and small weight variance would not be noticeable......even less so on an E MTB.

That does detract a little from the argument to go carbon. However, I expect Specialized/Merida have relatively high standards for their Taiwanese frames and the lay ups are relatively consistent.

Forever Wild

May 21, 2020
Arizona
Can someone tell me the weight difference between the aluminum levo frame (2020) and the carbon levo frame (2020)? No components just the frames.
Not a weight issue. Stiffness is very noticeable. I only want to ride Carbon frames. I’ve had both.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles