Canyon Spectral:ON - What's your height and what size frame did you buy (and does it fit you)?

rmreynolds

Jun 23, 2019
Stuttgart
I'm deciding whether to go M or L. Canyon site says M, their rep says I'm M but due to inseam I could go L.
I'm 182cm height, 90cm inseam, and 62 arm length. What are your experiences?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm 177cm and a Large is a fraction too tall for me. With the seatpost fully slammed I had to drop it about 10mm using the dropper.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Long answer: I agree with your dimensions you could probably choose either size. I am 175cm with a 33”/84cm inside leg. I rode a large at the NEC show last year and with the seatpost fully slammed it was (somewhat surprisingly to me) absolutely fine despite having 15mm more reach than the analog I normally ride. I would probably choose that over a medium for my style of riding (ok on flowy blues, inexperienced on more technical trails), but a more aggressive rider might prefer the medium. Also if you are shorter in the arms relative to your legs (ape negative) you may prefer the medium.

Short answer: Go with @Gary ‘s advice above ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I always look at the geometry table and compare with a bike I am comfortable with. The key measurements are stack, reach and seatpost angle. I realise that those alone will not tell you how great a bike it is, just that it will probably fit you very well. Any slight comfort differences can be adjusted out by altering some or all of the following: saddle position (fore/aft, angle up/down), stem spacers (above or below), bar rotation angle(down or up from central), flipping the stem, moving the grips inboard. If none of that works singly or in combination, then you have bought the wrong bike. But even that can probably be mostly overcome with a new bar (wider, different rise) and/or stem (inclined up/down, shorter/longer). It is surprising how small an adjustment can be to convert the fit from OK to great. :)

A few years ago I bought a large YT Capra on line and without testing, just using the geometry tables to reassure myself it would fit. However, I had overlooked the impact of a very steep seat angle that shortened the room for my long body. I got it spot-on in the end by making small adjustments to all of the existing kit. But the one nagging thing remaining was that despite the dropper being as low as it would go in the seat tube, when the dropper was fully extended, the saddle was 5-10 mm too high for comfort. Yes I could get the correct height by using the dropper, but each time I used the dropper I had to reset the height again afterwards. Easy to do on a flat road, not so much on a bumpy trail! Fortunately the dropper failed after three months and I got them to supply a 125mm dropper instead of the 150mm. Bliss! I learned from this experience.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
At 1,78 I am doing all right with a large. Seatpost 2,0 cm from full in. The bike turns in a dime and is easy to wheelie and manual after some training. The cockpit is short and wide I think the handle bars could be 6 cm shorter but haven’t decided to cut it yet. Mine is 2018 model with the ks dropper.

eztiger

Apr 9, 2019
Guildford
I'm 183 and went for the large after a demo on both M and L. I find it perfect for me even though I have shortish legs, the medium just felt too small to me.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I'm 176cm and I always seems to fall inbetween a M and L. I've ridden a L on Trek and Cannondale bikes and I've ridden a M on Specialized and Niner bikes. The Spec felt a little small, but the others felt great.

Canyon's online calculator put me on a size small, which didn't sound right. I emailed Canyon and their rep was adamant that a Medium would fit me perfect at 176cm. I haven't swung my leg over a Canyon, as the Spectral:On isn't even available to order in the US until next month.

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
I’m 180 cm and love the large which I will be selling just having new motor under warranty had to get new bike while waiting

The voz

Jun 17, 2020
Cornwall
I’ve had issues for over a month keeps overheating so went to shimano service centre 2 weeks said downloaded new software 1 ride fine next day out lasted 2 hrs they’ve had it for 10 days now and are trying for new motor through shimano so I’ve upgraded and will sell when get back

FSEngineer

Jul 14, 2020
Kent
194cm here and I've got an XL, fits me nicely and I've been able to stick a 35mm stem on without issues. Also running 150mm cranks for ground clearance, and a 170mm dropper to compensate - fits like an old slipper :)

jlnevill

Jul 27, 2020
UK
I'm 183cm tall with 82cm inside leg, originally ordered a large but changed my order to medium.....perfect fit!

pez_cemetery

Mar 18, 2020
Bristol
It is personal preference and affected by your skillset - I've worked a lot on my technique the last year (with coaching) and found myself going up from a 50mm to 70mm stem on my medium RM Altitude Powerplay, which made it feel too XC. So at 170cm I purposely bought the longer medium Spectral:On, even though its bigger than recommended for me. I have had to change the dropper (to a OneUp) and stem (to Syntace flatforce) in order to get a low enough fit.

I thought the low bottom bracket on the Spectral:On would be a problem, but I've had no issues at all as my pumping technique is far more effective so I don't need to pedal as much.

Jonny330ci

Dec 5, 2019
Wakefield
Got a 2020 Spectral ON CF8 a few weeks ago. Put my dimensions into the Canyon website (179cm tall with an 87cm inseam) and it came out at a medium!!! Went through all the geometry and was concerned about the reach and seat tube length so I opted for a large and it’s spot on for me. I still have over 60mm of the dropper post out of the top of the seat tube as well.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
Got a 2020 Spectral ON CF8 a few weeks ago. Put my dimensions into the Canyon website (179cm tall with an 87cm inseam) and it came out at a medium!!! Went through all the geometry and was concerned about the reach and seat tube length so I opted for a large and it’s spot on for me. I still have over 60mm of the dropper post out of the top of the seat tube as well.
Cayon are known for being shorter in reach then alot of other brands ?

baldiebenty

Jun 30, 2020
Gloucester
I think Canyons size predictor is waaaay out, I put in my height at 178 and inseam at 81, it told me I needed a SMALL! For reference I ride a Large G170S which feels great and I'm waiting on an XL Decoy (we'll see how that fits) but a Small anything would be like a kids BMX.

aklemm

Jul 23, 2020
Atascadero, CA
I think Canyons size predictor is waaaay out, I put in my height at 178 and inseam at 81, it told me I needed a SMALL! For reference I ride a Large G170S which feels great and I'm waiting on an XL Decoy (we'll see how that fits) but a Small anything would be like a kids BMX.
Same exact thing happened to me. I'm 176cm with a 80cm inseam and the calculator kicked back a small. I always seem to fall in between a medium and large with every other bike manufacturer. I emailed Canyon and their rep recommended a medium. If I go the Decoy route, I'd order a large.

RAG

Mar 16, 2021
UK
I think your inside leg length is the more relevant metric with the Spectral:On, it’s taller than its long so you need to make sure you can get the saddle low enough. For reference I’m 189cm tall with an 89cm inside leg and the large is spot on, with the XL, which generally is my size in other brands, I’d need a shorter dropper, and I don’t want anything less than 150 dropper which is fitted as standard.

Unless you’ve got very short legs I’d go medium at 170cm tall, I’d recommend opening a live chat on the Canyon website to talk it through. Their sizing calculator is a little basic.

Last edited:

ztk

May 10, 2021
Zürich
I'm 178cm tall with 85cm inseam and Canyon's recommendation is "M". Unfortunately all "M" are sold out at the
moment and I was considering going for an "L" instead. I've ridden a Turbo Levo "L" for three days, which worked
well for me and comparing the geometries, the two "L"s seem to be similar - or am I missing something ?

1620717505247.png

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles