Spectral:on cracked frame, warranty replacement rejected by Canyon

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The problem with all these companies is a lack of consistency in handling claims - a browse though any cycling forum will bring up horror stories with any brand.

The best way of ensuring that any potential issue gets dealt with is to but from a reputable LBS with a good relation ship with the brand in question, but even then not a guarantee.

I also get the feeling that in the current market conditions with everything in short supply, warranty claims are getting equally squeezed.

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I understand that but it's not the op's fault the product isn't up to the job it was intended for, which is what he paid for.
I'm sure it would be resolved if they sought advise and mentioned where said advise came from.

steviep

Feb 15, 2022
UK
I'm having the same problem with a cracked frame on my un-crashed roadie during the guarantee period... they're claiming the damage must be due to an 'external force' so this must be a stock response they use. It has been subject to an external force yes... me using it as a road bike! Terrible. Will try my bike insurance.

akbud

Apr 4, 2021
alaska
I have yet to hear a positive Canyon warranty story. Agreed that Spec or Trek would be more likely to warranty it. I had a creak in my Specialized Roubaix that my mechanic could not fix and there was 1cm hairline crack that for all we could tell might have just been the paint but Spec replaced my frame with an SWorks! I also had a Fatback Corvus that developed a creak that could not be fixed and inspection showed there might be a crack internally in the seat tube but none were actually visible. I got a new frame. Again. Canyon's failure to replace frames that are clearly warranty issues ensures I will never buy a Canyon, although given my geography I would probably not do so anyway :).

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
I'm having the same problem with a cracked frame on my un-crashed roadie during the guarantee period... they're claiming the damage must be due to an 'external force' so this must be a stock response they use. It has been subject to an external force yes... me using it as a road bike! Terrible. Will try my bike insurance.
Get 'them' to prove that.
If you use words like 'fit for purpose ' etc. They'll have to take it to the next step.

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
canyon had big problems with their spectral that the chain stay cracked on, after that scandal, canyon has said that they have gotten better and fixed their problems.

obviously they have not done it :)

Mydriaze

Jul 7, 2019
France
canyon had big problems with their spectral that the chain stay cracked on, after that scandal, canyon has said that they have gotten better and fixed their problems.

obviously they have not done it :)

Hello everyone, any update for the poor guy with his cracked chainstay?

@InRustWeTrust : you wrote "had big problems". it means now they've fixed the issue?

Mike Malanowicz

Feb 8, 2022
Warsaw, Poland
Clearly looks like a frame defect. And yes, could be done by jumping from a 3rd floor to flat while weighting 200kg, but I'm not so sure it could be done in the real life ;). BTW. I broke 3 alloy frames and 2 times they where replaced without any issues. 3rd time was clearly my fault, since it was a car crash :) Greetings to Scott bike division.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
One more getting away from canyon here now.
Asked them for a replacement motor since my E8000 died from error010 at 5.000km.
Canyon replacement for a customer, would cost more than an ebay premium seller asks for the same motor.
Besides, when asked if they would set it to USA limits 32 km/h , as thr bike is in Brazil, they answered they would not do it arrogantly telling that this was against brazilian laws. Treating me like a delinquent.
I then sent them a picture of the specialized site displayng levos assisted to 32 km/h, canyon never ansewred.

Samwise

Apr 10, 2019
Hampshire, England
How have they determined impact damage? Seems like they are just using that as an excuse. Surely if had been impact you would know about it and there would be impact damage from whatever it was hit by not just a crack. I would keep pushing them for replacement.

That said if u do split bike I'd be interested in motor

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt was a year ago now, hopefully he got it sorted.

Maybe the O/P can update the thread with what happened.

eito

Feb 25, 2021
California
I’m going to start a separate thread about his experience so far, but my friend was on his (less than one month old) spectral on cf8 last May (2021) with us. He went over the edge on an exposed area of trail and tumbled down 8-10 feet. Top tube of the bike landed square in a rock and put a significant crack/hole in the frame. He reached out to canyon and after several months was told there would be replacement frames in October 2021 and they’d charge him the a crash replacement price (slightly discounted). Great! He thought. He was considering having it repaired but hearing they would sell him a replacement he opted to wait (canyon told him he would not be eligible for crash replacement if he had it professionally repaired in the mean time). So he waited….and waited… come October he was told things were delayed, should be a few weeks more. Well fast forward to April 2022 and he’s being told “in a few weeks” EVERY time he asks them. He’s reached out to multiple reps, including a second tier support associate that he’s been dealing with mostly. He’s even gone to their US office in Carlsbad, CA but they told him no one at the office could help or provide any info.

Now he sees the 2022 have been announced and with the changes, it’s seeming less and less likely that a frame will be available.

I have no idea what to suggest he do at this point but this Is super painful to watch and be a part of.

Redlemon

Oct 30, 2021
Canada
How can Canyon tolerate having such a bad service/warranty reputation ?

They could at least try to get a little bit more supple on claims like other manufacturers are doing to change things on the positive side. I don't see any abusive damage or anything out of the ordinary on that cracked frame, it's frustrating they're not fully backing up their product.

Instead you're getting a limited answer with no details, that doesn't sound like a company that cares about their customers.

I will make sure to stay away from Canyon.

Hartley Hare

Jun 1, 2022
Bristol, England
Poking my head above the parapet and expecting some fire - I'm going to tell you all that they aren't all bad at Canyon. Far from it.
My Nerve AL9 suffered a crack in the chainstay. I sent it back, they sent me my bike back with a new rear end. Eventually sold to a neighbour and still going strong, 9 years on.
My (super-light, capable and fast) Strive CF9 suffered Shapeshifter issues. They serviced it, and later paid my LBS to repair it. Sold to a newbie on eBay for a lot of money when 6 years old. Hope he hasn't wrecked it, but first impressions weren't good when he told me he'd had to replace the carbon cranks as he admitted putting l/h crank on drive side.
My Spectral:On CF9 (fun, light but capable bike) suffered a battery drop out issue on the first ride, they replaced the battery without quibbling.
The bike was then nicked and eventually returned to me, trashed (bought it back from the eventual idiot, ignorant purchaser, who had tried to clean off the black spray paint which had been applied by the fence to camoflage the bike for resale). Canyon UK have sold me a new frame, cockpit and other parts for a very reasonable crash replacement price.
Canyon UK are not always quick to respond or to supply (particularly especially since the double whammy of Brexit and CV19), but good enough for me to stick with them as a brand.
However, before I got the Canyon back I ordered and received an Orbea Rise M10, which I am also loving.
So I am conflicted, though I've just suffered the falling-off e-thirteen crank issue on the Rise, so let's see how their warranty team behave...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles