Cant remove rear axle [2019 Levo]

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
Hi guys
My rear axle did loosen itself once again while riding. Recognized it and tightened the axle again.
After that, I had a clicking nois in the rear wheel, which went worse and worse... Felt like something was not ok with the freehub. Wanted to have a look at it, but couldnt remove the rear axle on the track.
So I treid it again at home, but there is no chance to remove the axle. I can loose the axle without any problems, but I cant pull it out. After 4cm it is totally blocked... That does not make sense in any way, because the axle has almost the same diameter through the hole length of it...
Has anybody an idea what could cause this stop?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Maintain withdrawal pressure and try turning the axle to see if it is catching anywhere.
Then turn the bike upside down and try again, just in case something is resting on the axle and catching on a ridge.
Try upward and downward pressure on the hub or cassette (ie jostle it!) as you withdraw the axle.

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
Hi, there is a good chance that a bearing has collapsed in the free hub. In that case the hollow hub axle tube is no longer supported adequately and may bend slightly due to the forces excerted during riding stopping the axle from sliding out.

In that case the only way to get the axle out will be to use a drift. Do this carefully as the axle will probably be re-usable once it is out of the wheel hub. I'm afraid your freehub will probably be a mess when you get it out. Good luck with it.

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
When I pull and turn the axle, the silver end cap rotates.
When I try to hammer the axle out with a rubber mallet, it feels like a real stop.

What do you mean by using a drift?

Yes, I also think that i'm going to need a new freehub...

Cisco

May 1, 2018
Elderslie
If properly stuck you will need steel drift but use a piece of hard wood as interface to axle. You will have to give it a solid bang. Likely to be like this..
with cassette removed.jpg

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
"steel drift", now I know what tool you meant ;)
I allready tried that, but was to concerned to try it harder...
I'll give it a second try this evening.

I was allready thinking of cutting the axle head off, just to be able to remove the wheel...

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
When you need to "drift" something out, use a "big" hammer. I don't mean winding up with a 14lb sledge hammer, but giving it a gentle tap with one. A big hammer applied gently does far better than a little one applied at great speed. (And less accurately too!)
OK, maybe not a 14lb sledge, but a 3lb club hammer will be way better than an 8oz carpenter's jobbie!

AndyActual

May 24, 2018
UK
The rear freehub snapped on my 2018 Levo about 12 months ago, leading to the situation pictured in Cisco’s photo. It was covered under warranty and replaced with a Hope free hub which i had no problems with a sounded way louder. The standard Rovel hubs are obviously not up to the task.

silverstone

May 20, 2019
Switzerland
Thanks for your advices!
I could finally remove the thru axle with the necessary force.
It looks like the inner axle of the hub is broken...
IMG_1088.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles