• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Can't get my tyre back on

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Help! I can't get the tyre back onto my RaceFace AR 40. It is a Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 3C EXO TR.

I went tubeless on the front wheel about two years ago. Back then it wasn't an issue. I went as far as I could with my hands and the rest just popped into place via air pressure. Back then I posted a question about getting the tyre off (I wasn't familiar with the concept of TR components). ?

Today I tried ~2h on the back wheel. Had a flat one and decided to go TR there as well. But I can't get far enough for the air pressure trick. Thing is, the rims are assymetric. I "opened" the tyre on the side where these little dents from the spokes (in the pre-installed rim tape) are closer to the edge. So I cannot for the life of me get the tyre to clear all those indentions at the same time (in order to use air pressure).

How the heck do you do this?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Christ even I had to look that up... and I wish I hadn't
Not even for this?
Girl on a bike.jpg

gsum

Jul 31, 2021
Lake District
Help! I can't get the tyre back onto my RaceFace AR 40. It is a Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 3C EXO TR.

I went tubeless on the front wheel about two years ago. Back then it wasn't an issue. I went as far as I could with my hands and the rest just popped into place via air pressure. Back then I posted a question about getting the tyre off (I wasn't familiar with the concept of TR components). ?

Today I tried ~2h on the back wheel. Had a flat one and decided to go TR there as well. But I can't get far enough for the air pressure trick. Thing is, the rims are assymetric. I "opened" the tyre on the side where these little dents from the spokes (in the pre-installed rim tape) are closer to the edge. So I cannot for the life of me get the tyre to clear all those indentions at the same time (in order to use air pressure).

How the heck do you do this?
One trick I use is to paint the inside of the rims with sealant using a small brush. This lubricates the tyre such that you can drag the tyre beads into place with a tyre lever. Starting at the valve, I can seat about 70% of the bead on a 2.8 inch tyre before it becomes too tight. i then inject the rest of the sealant through the valve using a syringe and rotate/rock the wheel to wet the inside surface before inflating with a booster pump. This usually pops the rest of the bead into place.

Another rider

Sep 27, 2020
Dorset
The offset rims are a real pain. I have the same ones and even with an equivalent of the Airshot I struggle. The only reliable way I've found is to seat with a tube and then unseat on one side - the side with a wider shoulder on the rim, and then remove the tube. Then it's easy.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Soap the tyre beads.
Washing liquid and water sponged all the way round both tyre beads.
not only will it help the bead move over, it'll contain the air better increasing the pressure to pop/blow the tyre into place on the rim
Used the same trick back in the late 1960's when we used to fit tubeless tyres to cars etc. Brushing soapy water on the beads besides allowing the beads to slip on easier, it also helps prevent damage to the beads. 1" (25mm) paint brush is fine.

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I am due a tyre change
Does a petrol station inflator work, using a brass valve presta/schrader adapter thingy

I would guess it depends on the air flow/volume the inflator is able to provide. Those old canister type ones might work, not sure. These rather new stationary pumping machines probably won't as they inflate more slowly, I think.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles