• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Can't get my tyre back on

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Help! I can't get the tyre back onto my RaceFace AR 40. It is a Maxxis Rekon 27.5 x 2.8 3C EXO TR.

I went tubeless on the front wheel about two years ago. Back then it wasn't an issue. I went as far as I could with my hands and the rest just popped into place via air pressure. Back then I posted a question about getting the tyre off (I wasn't familiar with the concept of TR components). ?

Today I tried ~2h on the back wheel. Had a flat one and decided to go TR there as well. But I can't get far enough for the air pressure trick. Thing is, the rims are assymetric. I "opened" the tyre on the side where these little dents from the spokes (in the pre-installed rim tape) are closer to the edge. So I cannot for the life of me get the tyre to clear all those indentions at the same time (in order to use air pressure).

How the heck do you do this?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
The dents are caused by air pressure on a thin layer of rim tape.

Remove the dents by putting in an extra layer of rim tape, stretched tight.

Even with a high volume, high pressure device like an Airshot, those dents can suck the life out of your efforts.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
As a last resort I fit the tyre with an inner tube, to seat the beads, then get one side off, remove tube and fit valve. Job is at least half done. If my Specialized Blast tubeless seater can't reseat the bead, I'll use a CO2 canister (just let the CO2 out and fill with air as it can react with STAN'S sealant).

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Yeah, I thought about that (fit with tube first). Get the one side off where the dents are further away from the edge. I mean, the last time I did it with exactly the same means: my hands and my trusty pump. And the whole process took only about 20 minutes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Soap the tyre beads.
Washing liquid and water sponged all the way round both tyre beads.
not only will it help the bead move over, it'll contain the air better increasing the pressure to pop/blow the tyre into place on the rim

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
The ghetto Coke bottle thing really does work, the idea is to fill the bottle with 60 ish psi air pressure through the Presta on the right & then release it in one go via the tube on the left of the pic which has a clamp of some kind & it blows the tyre onto the bead. I've had success with it on awkward tyres. Remember all you need is to get the tyre onto the bead & then you can do the rest with any old pump.

s1200_pump1.jpg

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
Check this YouTube video out.

I switched from Stan's to Orange Stuff a couple months ago. I didn't have any trouble inflating my rear 27.5 with my Bontrager TLR Flash Charger pump. Could not get my front 29 to inflate. Finally, I manually seated most of the bead with tire irons (as shown in video) and it worked perfectly.

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
More recently, I bought a cheap weed sprayer, removed the lance & put a brake bleed clamp on the hose. This thing is completely reliable. I can pump it up to about 70psi before it starts venting through the relief valve & you don't have to keep a garage that makes you look like a crack head.

61Q6LmT9hSL._AC_SX425_.jpg

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
More recently, I bought a cheap weed sprayer, removed the lance & put a brake bleed clamp on the hose. This thing is completely reliable. I can pump it up to about 70psi before it starts venting through the relief valve & you don't have to keep a garage that makes you look like a crack head.

View attachment 70865
I was considering this awhile back, as I have one sitting around. But the stated pressure on mine is 2 bar (29 psi). And I feel the pressure relief valve opens quite quick when hand pumping (although unmeaured). Is there a stated maximum pressure on yours?

Last edited:

RustyMTB

Jul 22, 2020
UK
No idea, I can get it to 60-70psi by the track pump before the relief valve starts clucking. These things are generic products made in China, they'll all be much of a muchness but the important thing is not trying to inflate the tyre in one go, all you're after is to get it to seat on the bead. If you can release air fast enough, then you're in business.

MadTurnip

Jan 14, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
No idea, I can get it to 60-70psi by the track pump before the relief valve starts clucking. These things are generic products made in China, they'll all be much of a muchness but the important thing is not trying to inflate the tyre in one go, all you're after is to get it to seat on the bead. If you can release air fast enough, then you're in business.
Just went and made one there. The 2 bar (29 psi) limit on the side. The relief valve opened at 20 psi. Only a tiny bit, might be able to get it to 22ish. My one is 2l in volume. A reasonable amount of air seems to come out of it better than a floor pump thats for sure, would rather it could go up to 50 psi though. The container I have no doubt can do 50+ psi as I can stand on it and its undamaged. Putting a finger over the relief would allow a higher psi to be achieved, maybe a small bit of tape.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
soapy water
then take your floor pump, disconnect the hose, put the hose bit on your valve and connect the other end to your car tyre
pop pop pop - done

no idea why people piss about with expensive water bottles ;)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
They are sturdy, so find a way to block up the relief valve is what I'd do.
Err, sorry to sound like Mum, but there is a safety valve for a reason.
You could keep pumping it up, each time more. You may be lucky and find a pressure you like that doesn't blow the container. But you may be unlucky and find the burst point. Having to wash your kecks may be the least of your problems.

emtbPhil

Jun 20, 2021
UK
Err, sorry to sound like Mum, but there is a safety valve for a reason.
You could keep pumping it up, each time more. You may be lucky and find a pressure you like that doesn't blow the container. But you may be unlucky and find the burst point. Having to wash your kecks may be the least of your problems.

Reminds me of the guy who had an issue with the bottom spring plate on his car shock absorber coming loose so welded it up, with the shock full of oil.

Like WWII shrapnel

• Haha
Reactions: Zed

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Kecks??? I get an English lesson every time I'm on this forum! ? but I haven't used knackered yet here in the States.
I believe that the word knackered came from the times when old and tired out horses were taken to the "knackers yard" to be put down and disposed of. Hence the word "knackered" meaning worn out, done in, done for, very tired etc. It is unfortunate that "knackers", slang for your bollocks, is so similar. I have no idea why. :unsure:

Unless of course it is because you are knackered after being well hit in the bollocks! :ROFLMAO:

Extract taken from the Urban Dictionary.

knackered
spent, near death.
Origin from 'knacker's yard' where one took old horses to become pots of glue.
On my feet all day and I'm knackered.
by Quas1 September 11, 2008

Urban Dictionary: Knackered

Also from the Urban Dictionary "Bollocks"

blueglide

Jan 2, 2021
Tucson, AZ USA
I believe that the word knackered came from the times when old and tired out horses were taken to the "knackers yard" to be put down and disposed of. Hence the word "knackered" meaning worn out, done in, done for, very tired etc. It is unfortunate that "knackers", slang for your bollocks, is so similar. I have no idea why. :unsure:

Unless of course it is because you are knackered after being well hit in the bollocks! :ROFLMAO:
I have no idea what bollocks means...or knackers!! ? Are we talking balls here?? I need to take a Rosetta Stone course to understand you guys! Lol

pegnose

Jun 11, 2019
Berlin, Germany
Guys, It couldn't have been much easier. I seated both sides with a tube, took off the (MUCH easier) side and was able to use my floor pump to reseat that bead no problem. *facepalm*

The rims are asymmetric and the "easier" side (more room from the spokes) is not as steep, of course, and the bead easily clears the spoke dents. The tyre needed just a little nudge (and to make sure both beads were seated where the tyre stood on the ground) for the pump to grip. Also, my TR valve maybe wasn't as firmly seated as it should've on the first try. ;)

I ordered an AirShot anyways, or the Schwalbe pendent, that is. It's a little cheaper. Next time I will TR like a boss. :cool:

Guys, did I tell you how great you are, yet? There are forums on the webs where nobody gives a sh*t. Not here, that's for sure. Thank all of you!

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles