Can you just buy a Gen 4 motor only if needed?

BattleBear

Apr 4, 2021
U.K
As the title says. Are they available to purchase direct from Bosch, or do you have to go through an approved dealer? I don't need one, curiosity got the better of me.

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
No you can’t buy them directly from Bosch, you can only get one from a dealer as a replacement for one you already have ie gen 4 for gen 4.

BattleBear

Apr 4, 2021
U.K
No you can’t buy them directly from Bosch, you can only get one from a dealer as a replacement for one you already have ie gen 4 for gen 4.

So you have to hand over your old motor when buying a new one? Any idea of the cost?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My e-bay link in the other thread (above) had that one at £899 / €1000 - though that's probably not RRP :)
The bloke in the bike shop I use told me that the motors have to be configured for the type of bike they're going in, and only the dealers have the software to do that.

So just buying a second hand motor off ebay may not work, unless the config of the motor matches the bike its going in.

He mentioned parameters like crank length, chain ring size, motor mounting angle.

Could be nonsense though.... Who knows

cemoz

Jul 12, 2020
Australia
Can’t say about the gen 4, I bought a new gen 2 off eBay though and it works fine, ie showing correct speed etc. Haven’t even upgraded the software for it yet at the LBS, I had to get parts from all over the world to build the bike up.

Probably the same as Bosch saying the motors aren’t designed to go over whatever your countries legal limit is, it’s only software throttled, the motor isn’t likely going to be any different internally than the pedalec version that can do 45km.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles