Bosch 4 Gen: How to know if ligths are ENABLED in SW

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
I just bought a Cannondale Neo3 with 2023 Bosch Performace CX Smart System, the bike is sold with "Lights preinstall", with means that in the charger box there are a couple cables that connect to the motor and should be routed routed to the front and rear lights.But I do not know if the lights are already enabled in the Software beause this is done with the Bosch Diagnostic SW Tool.

But as I am not using lights, I prefer to make sure that they are NOT ENABLED in the software, because I understand that this would save a percentage of the battery for light usage and range would be reduced accordingly.

Does anybody know how to check if lights are ENABLED without using the Diagnostic Tool??? I already pressed the "Light ON" button in LED Remote, but there is no indication in Kiox main screen whether they are configure or not

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
Does anybody know how to check if lights are ENABLED without using the Diagnostic Tool???
Connect a light to the correct cable and check whether it can be activated.
You could also connect a multimeter to that cable and measure the output. It should show 12V when activated.

slavio

Mar 29, 2022
Poland
If you have a Kiox display ride your bike till you drain the battery completely. If you have lights turned on in your software before the battery dies it displays a message saying that it's no longer supporting pedaling but keeps the last <x>% of the battery as a reserve for bike lights. If your lights are disabled in the software you won't see this message. Bit of unorthodox approach but unless you want to connect the bike to a diagnose software at your LBS this is the cheapest way you get :)

Spiff

Feb 27, 2019
Earth
Finally I asked the LBS where I bought the bike to check one of the stock bikes, same model as mine, and lights are not enabled in the Bosch Diagnostic, which is fine for me.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
What percentage of battery charge does the system reserve if the light function is turned on?

TommyC

Jul 7, 2022
Hampshire
I did a 50 mile ride on my cube stereo 750 with the lights activated and finished with 8% battery. I did the same ride a month later with the lights deactivated and finished with 6% battery.

Mathematically it makes sense to get more range. But I didn’t.

Edit: to clarify, the smart system recalculates when the lights are activated so the battery will assist down to 0%. Previous models would just cut assistance with the display showing 5-10% left. I learnt this after the first ride where I was expecting it to cut out any minute while climbing the last hill home!

Last edited:

Shark58

Mar 5, 2023
Germany
What percentage of battery charge does the system reserve if the light function is turned on?
The system reserves the amount of battery charge that is needed to power the light for two hours.

So internally the light wattage which was stored with the diagnostic system is multiplied by two and that value in Wh will be reserved.

Example: The dealer stores the maximum of 18W as light power, this leads to 36Wh reserved for light, which is about 5.5% of a 650Wh battery. As this is not an exact science the actual value is higher in most cases.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles