Can the E8000 be unleashed like the Levo

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Easiest is "steps unlocker". You can change quite simply to US spec and 32kph. I think higher is possible, it used to require firmware downgrades, edit, upgrade your firmware again, but not sure that's still necessary.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
There are some techniques, but please don't be "that a*hole" running a destricted Class 1 bike on public trails and setting access back for everyone else. You really don't need to go much faster than 32 kph/20 mph.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
There are some techniques, but please don't be "that a*hole" running a destricted Class 1 bike on public trails and setting access back for everyone else. You really don't need to go much faster than 32 kph/20 mph.
Are you talking about the riders that blow by regular riders on climbs and act all smug?

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
T

Thanks for the advice I didn't ask for.

You're welcome.

Seriously though, there are a few ways to tweak the Shimano drive system, but it is highly likely that those hacks will be disabled in future firmware releases (including hardware hacks).

Believe me, it frustrated the hell out of me because my E8000 was starting to cut out at 18.5 MPH, and I was racing against Specialized bikes that were CLEARLY hacked and boosting well beyond 20 MPH.

I'd be happy just to get the full 20 MPH...

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
My restricted US spec ramps down at 18 mph and completely cuts assist at 20.

Yup. And it really isn't a huge issue on everyday rides, but it cost me a couple spots in races, since other eMTBs have boost all the way to 20 MPH. In the wide open fields, even pedaling full bore (and heart rate pegged) I couldn't keep up with the guys on Levos. They simply had a 5-10% advantage.

Marcelfacd

May 30, 2019
Leersum
And the myth continues....According to European law and regulation an E-bike primarily intended for competition or off road use is not obligated to be restricted. If you log your rides (strava, Garmin, Blevo etc) and indeed you use your bike more off-road than on-road you are 100% legal.

shawry

Aug 13, 2019
Catterick Camp
And the myth continues....According to European law and regulation an E-bike primarily intended for competition or off road use is not obligated to be restricted. If you log your rides (strava, Garmin, Blevo etc) and indeed you use your bike more off-road than on-road you are 100% legal.
Theres nothing stopping you derestricting in the UK, but if you do, you need a licence, insurance and a motorcycle helmet, if you ride on the roads.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
Theres nothing stopping you derestricting in the UK, but if you do, you need a licence, insurance and a motorcycle helmet, if you ride on the roads.

interesting, wonder if anyone followed through?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles