Can the 2018 remote be installed in a 2017 Levo

JSpencer77

Feb 19, 2018
Concord, NC
The new remote looks much cleaner and user friendly than the 2017 remote. Can it be installed on a 2017 bike?
Thanks

I contacted Specialized regarding this and was told no. This was his reply: "Unfortunately the trail remote is not compatible with the 2017 models. The 2017 frame is actually not drilled for the remote and also does not have the firmware updates available to let the remote interface into the system."

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I have the 2018, is the firmware just in the battery?
I can see the wires going down inside where battery fits would expect them to hook up to the plug that hooks up to battery.
I read on a forum someone in the German forum had hard wired the switch. the switch has the walk and the other instant turbo button ( one at top with soft rubber cover one at bottom with soft rubber cover. I only tried them just to see that they worked but, have not needed them. still good features if needed. the rocker switch is great. still have to remember. when you push the on button to turn on battery, when you ride off they seem to just go into turbo mode, I noticed this and hit rocker button twice to go down to eco.
a friend of mine with 2017 had the Garmin remote switch, his is a HT mine has the 500 battery his has the 460. he was saying his battery seems to run out fast ( he rides hard!! he had to turn back on a few long group rides. then, two week's back I mentioned if I don't push my switch twice to turn power down to eco, it is in turbo after I turn battery on. he turns his on and finds out his bike has been in turbo as he thought it auto went to eco first & he never uses the button as likes to peddle hard. so I said just turn on , then push down button twice. but he does not seem to trust his Garmin remote?? ( strange boy no smart phone or mobile ) so religiously now he turns on battery then pushes the lower button on battery twice. never touch the Garmin remote but it is still on his handle bar. now he is getting much longer distance out of battery. we did a 55 km ride on Wednesday he has 4 green lights still on ( was not many hill's )
just thought I would mention . cheers

Danielp

Feb 25, 2018
Melbourne
I have the 2018, is the firmware just in the battery?
I can see the wires going down inside where battery fits would expect them to hook up to the plug that hooks up to battery.
I read on a forum someone in the German forum had hard wired the switch. the switch has the walk and the other instant turbo button ( one at top with soft rubber cover one at bottom with soft rubber cover. I only tried them just to see that they worked but, have not needed them. still good features if needed. the rocker switch is great. still have to remember. when you push the on button to turn on battery, when you ride off they seem to just go into turbo mode, I noticed this and hit rocker button twice to go down to eco.
a friend of mine with 2017 had the Garmin remote switch, his is a HT mine has the 500 battery his has the 460. he was saying his battery seems to run out fast ( he rides hard!! he had to turn back on a few long group rides. then, two week's back I mentioned if I don't push my switch twice to turn power down to eco, it is in turbo after I turn battery on. he turns his on and finds out his bike has been in turbo as he thought it auto went to eco first & he never uses the button as likes to peddle hard. so I said just turn on , then push down button twice. but he does not seem to trust his Garmin remote?? ( strange boy no smart phone or mobile ) so religiously now he turns on battery then pushes the lower button on battery twice. never touch the Garmin remote but it is still on his handle bar. now he is getting much longer distance out of battery. we did a 55 km ride on Wednesday he has 4 green lights still on ( was not many hill's )
just thought I would mention . cheers

Hey mate,

There is firmware in both the battery and the motor, its just the battery that does the most of the thinking/processing. Recently all 2017/older ones had an update come out for both the battery and the motor, so if your friend hasn't had that done yet, get it done as there is an update on the 'eco' mode and how it saves battery if i remember correctly!

The remote on the 2018 is a plug in remote to the motor, and if my memory serves me correctly, the plugins on both the older and newer motor are actually the same (so it can be plugged in)
Although as you mentioned, i don't believe there is any firmware available to support the remote on older bikes yet, plus you have to chop and re solder wires to get the remote through the frames!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Hi all,

You can do this on ‘some’ 2017 Levos but not all, I have just installed one on mine.

My bike was in Rutland cycles Fineshade shop getting the motor replaced and I asked the question about putting the 2018 remote on my 2017 Levo. Their reply was.... yes and no.... it works on some but not all.

They said they would happily plug one in to see if it worked but they could not install it as they were not prepared to drill a hole in the frame. I was happy to do this task so they plugged it in luckily for me it worked on mine.

It was a bit of a process to install as it was not just drilling a the hole in the frame, there was also a task of cutting the cable and joining it up again as the hole would have been massive. Cutting and joining a cable was not a problem for me as I have all the kit to do this. It may be a no go for some of you but it is 100% worth doing if you have the skill set to carry out this task.

The ‘walk mode’ also works which is another great benefit where I ride.

I will post some pics when I get a chance. The weather is so good at the moment I am out riding sorry.

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Thanks you guys! I’m in the process of planning this retrofit/upgrade right now. Have you seen this video? He cleverly ground a small notch in the plastic flange of the top of the battery to route the cable without cutting it or drilling the frame.

fingers crossed about firmware as I find out more...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles