2017 Levo Remote Options?

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I have bought my wife a 2017 Levo Expert that did not come with the handlebar remote to change Eco/Trail/Turbo

Does anybody know what is the current best option available?
I Googled and came across the Garmin remote which seems no longer available and retro-fitting the original Spez remote.

Could somebody help here that has managed to fit a remote onto the bars.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Mambat

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
It’s available just not from Specialized
Garmin eBike Remote | Garmin
C18FA97E-BF62-46F3-B645-EF5640AD38E2.png

This is by far easier than retro fitting the wired controller.
The latest firmware doesn’t work with some of the 460w batteries or older motors. There are actually a bunch of variations that we have seen in the shop.
After we install new firmware, sometimes the motor never engages pedal assist.
Then we have to reinstall older firmware to make it work again and then we are back to ground zero.

Or just reach down and hit the buttons manually.

Last edited:

royce

Aug 10, 2018
olympia, wa.
im looking for a way to have the walk assist feature on my 2018 levo, it doesn't even have the handlebar remote at all. does anyone know if its possible?
thx

eFat

Founding Member
Feb 4, 2018
Switzerland
im looking for a way to have the walk assist feature on my 2018 levo, it doesn't even have the handlebar remote at all. does anyone know if its possible?
thx
There is this message on pedelecforum.de from someone that tried this Brose controller. The display and the walk-assist work but the buttons to change the mode have no effect.

You will need to route the cable to the motor, not sure if there is a hole in the frame for it?

royce

Aug 10, 2018
olympia, wa.
Thanks for the info. I found another post that uses the 2018 Levo remote and all features work. I ordered the remote and will have it next week.

Pendo

Jun 13, 2018
Australia
Fitted the Specialized remote to my 2017 levo, no problems. Couldn't source it in Australia, so had it shipped from the UK - Berkshire Cycles, top people to deal with. Worth paying the shipping (wasn't that much), having mode control on the handlebar and walk assist has transformed the bike!

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Be careful on this one all,

I did the same on my 2017 Levo. However, be aware of a couple of gotchas.

1. The remote will work on some Levo’s but not others. This was the experience and feedback from the team at Rutland cycles in the UK when I purchased my one. I was lucky enough to have my bike in there for some work so they were able to physically try it out on my bike to ensure it worked before selling it to me. They had had issues with a few other Levo’s where it just would not work despite checking everything and upgrading to the latest software. This was a few months ago so I am not sure if they have since found the ‘root cause’ of why some worked and some didn’t so please call them if you want to get further info.

2. On the 2017 Levo there is no hole in the frame to route the remote cable and plug end that connects to the motor. You can route the cable on the outside but you will need external cable clips of sorts that will stick to the frame and route the cable down to the motor where the connection for the remote is. You will need to cut or file a small slot in the upper plastic motor cover to gain access to motor area and feed the cable down to the connection point.

3. Or....... you could do what I did and drill a hole in your frame. NOT RECOMMENDED if you are worried about frame warranty or you don’t have the tools or skill set to do this task. This includes drilling a 4mm hole in your lovely frame :eek:, cutting the cable of the remote as the plug end that connects to the connection on the motor would require a huge hole in your frame. Feeding the cable through the frame where the new 4mm hole is and rejoining the cable by twisting the ends and soldering and insulating the ends by fitting waterproof heat shrink. When you get past this point it is easy as you can just route the cable down the down tube with the rear brake cable and then divert it down to the connection point.

Photos below show the hole in the frame and the remote controller fitted.

Hope this helps ;)

CE4FF0C3-0EB7-4BE1-B758-D7B62D9B6D46.jpeg
34F2681C-BB5C-44DC-873C-FD1F3BCD766E.jpeg

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies all... I have decided to go with the bulky Garmin Remote, its just easier.
Only problem is it is 3-4 weeks on back order here :cautious:

Thanks again for the replies (y)(y)(y)

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Hi Guys

I have bought my wife a 2017 Levo Expert that did not come with the handlebar remote to change Eco/Trail/Turbo

Does anybody know what is the current best option available?
I Googled and came across the Garmin remote which seems no longer available and retro-fitting the original Spez remote.

Could somebody help here that has managed to fit a remote onto the bars.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

Mambat
2017 VS 2018 levo or kenevo - EMTB Forums

Taffyteg

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2018
United Kingdom
I am running a Garmin remote with my 820 and to be honest all is good, I do like the turbo setting using 1 button as I am running ECO most of the time and the Garmin can be slow getting from ECO to Turbo.
Not too sure about drilling the frame, filing the battery seems a safer option.
I am tempted to get the new remote (need a FW update first), but I would then loose the Garmin remote interaction with the 820 - changing screens and so on ?

Tzeveryn

Dec 15, 2018
Penang, Malaysia
Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies all... I have decided to go with the bulky Garmin Remote, its just easier.

Hi Mambat. I am thinking of pulling the trigger for the Garmin Remote. Just read your post as I was looking for information on this. Any issues connecting with the bike? How has the performance been so far?

benny.c

Apr 21, 2019
North West
I use the Garmin remote and it works fine. Never had a problem connecting to the bike and the extra switch is handy for switching between the map and data screens on my Garmin 530.

Mambat

Mar 19, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I never had it fitted as when it finally arrived it turned out to be the incorrect remote. Apparently the remote for the lights?
I eventually gave up on it.

GDAS

Sep 19, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hey Django. I got the garmin as well for my 2018 Levo. It switches between modes but the walk assist does not work. Does yours work?
doesn't 2018 Levo come with wired remote? For walk assist you need wired remote, the Garmin bluetooth mode changer doesn't support it.

Tzeveryn

Dec 15, 2018
Penang, Malaysia
doesn't 2018 Levo come with wired remote? For walk assist you need wired remote, the Garmin bluetooth mode changer doesn't support it.
Yeah it does. And mine was busted so i got the garmin bluetooth one. Thanks for the reply. Just wanted to make sure in case I was missing out on something with it. Thanks and ride safe!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles