Buying a bike that rides great but looks horrible

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Ok truth be known these Pi Cycles not only looked horrible but likely were an equally horrible ride - although I can't say for sure.

picycle2.jpg

Not sure why but they made this too

pi_bike_01.jpg

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
First one looks like hub drive motors front and rear?
From PiCycle Factory Tour and Ride Report

PiCycle chose a Shimano IGH shifter coupled with a Gates belt-drive propulsion system for minimal maintenance–there’s no chain to oil on this bike.

The motor and controller were chosen after rigorously testing many different models, and have been designed to be ridden every day for years without failure. Picycle uses a direct-drive hub-motor with hall-sensors made by Crystalyte, which is known for being solid (same brand of motor used on the Stealth Bomber).

Also this:

IMG_7567.jpg

To test the concept of a rider pedaling to an electric generator instead of to the pedals, Picycle set up a test contraption. The rider pedals straight into an electric generator which in turn powers an electric motor. Using this contraption the engineers at Picycle were able to determine that a rider is only 50 percent efficient when using this method as opposed to just pedaling straight through to the rear wheel as in a traditional bike.

Philpug

Jun 14, 2020
Reno NV USA
I will say what I say on my ski forum...."Graphics/colors won't well a ski (or bike in the case) but they sure can stop a sale."

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
Initial attraction is important, but looks fades away and we get stuck with the machine.

I would rather have an ugly bike that I can modify and it rides well, then a good looking one that is rubbish to ride.

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
I think it's more badass than ugly. Why doesn't it ride so good?
Mostly coz of suspension, rockshock gold 35 is crap fork and rear RockShox Deluxe Select also :) It is not very bad ride but I wished I bought FOX version but there weren't any on stock at my local shop. They were also out of my budget.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
Mostly coz of suspension, rockshock gold 35 is crap fork and rear RockShox Deluxe Select also :) It is not very bad ride but I wished I bought FOX version but there weren't any on stock at my local shop. They were also out of my budget.
If you can upgrade your suspension as your budget allows you'll end up with a sweet trail smasher :cool: I think it's more fun to get a more budget model and upgrade it over time. That way you end up with components you've chosen yourself

nasamorpheus

Jul 17, 2020
Ljubljana
If you can upgrade your suspension as your budget allows you'll end up with a sweet trail smasher :cool: I think it's more fun to get a more budget model and upgrade it over time. That way you end up with components you've chosen yourself
I will destroy that 35 gold soon and then buy something good :)

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I will destroy that 35 gold soon and then buy something good :)
I'm not happy with my suspension either, quite wooden feeling and harsh ride, bike (and me) feels like it's going to rattle to bits over chattery stuff. Would love a Fox 38 or a Zeb, but way too expensive at present so will settle for upgrading, I'm keen on a coil shock but not sure whether to convert fork to coil or just uprade/tune

Zudnik

Jul 27, 2020
NNJ, USA
I will say what I say on my ski forum...."Graphics/colors won't well a ski (or bike in the case) but they sure can stop a sale."
Ski racers were all about looks. Now if you were a real skier, aka freestyler, then you went through so many skis it never mattered. Lol just kidding..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles