Buy now or wait brexit ??‍♂️

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Your mates order for a set of pawls would not been any use to him then if he actually needed a couple of bearings a wide range of which are available in the UK.
There is nothing in terms of export post Brexit that would cost Canyon £500 on one bike so that increase is obviously a general price increase. If a deposit..or (foolishly) the full price was paid, a contract was formed so Canyon are obliged to fulfil the original contract terms.
You mate needs to direct his angst at Canyon for poor customer service and breach of contract.

My mistake, I meant pawls, not bearings, so he's still directly out of pocket by a lot of cash. Regards the other friend and Canyon, I'll let him know that Canyon were wrong to tell him the increase in cost is directly due to brexit. I'm sure that once he points out their mistake, they'll back down accordingly. Hopefully, they'll quake in their boots, as the rest of the world are supposed to, at his british might ?‍♂️

I get that you think brexit is a good thing, but these are real people being financially inconvenienced by it, whether you like that or not. I sincerely doubt that any of your 'clever' answers will help them either.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
My mistake, I meant pawls, not bearings, so he's still directly out of pocket by a lot of cash. Regards the other friend and Canyon, I'll let him know that Canyon were wrong to tell him the increase in cost is directly due to brexit. I'm sure that once he points out their mistake, they'll back down accordingly. Hopefully, they'll quake in their boots, as the rest of the world are supposed to, at his british might ?‍♂️

I get that you think brexit is a good thing, but these are real people being financially inconvenienced by it, whether you like that or not. I sincerely doubt that any of your 'clever' answers will help them either.

Which hub does he need the pawls for?

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
I'll have to ask.

Also, apologies to Canyon. It's not Canyon my other friend was having issues with, it's Radon.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Also, I have to wonder why proponents of brexit flat out refuse to hear anything against it? Do you honestly expect intelligent people to accept that brexit is perfect? Get real, it came from our government, it has faults.

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
just wondering for future reference - seems odd that pawls are available seperately in slovakia, but not in uk, and also was going to see if I could find any in uk

Novatec X4 6 pawl freehub, from the XD642 SB B12 Boost hub.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It appears that the nukeproof horizon hub is just a rebranded novatec x4, so he may be able to get some pawls for a nukeproof horizon hub that fit his novatec - cant be 100% certain on that, but might be wortha punt?

CJaMTB

May 9, 2020
Dartmoor
Your mates order for a set of pawls would not been any use to him then if he actually needed a couple of bearings a wide range of which are available in the UK.
There is nothing in terms of export post Brexit that would cost Canyon £500 on one bike so that increase is obviously a general price increase. If a deposit..or (foolishly) the full price was paid, a contract was formed so Canyon are obliged to fulfil the original contract terms.
You mate needs to direct his angst at Canyon for poor customer service and breach of contract.

EU firms refuse UK deliveries over Brexit tax changes I guess you should get on to these folk and offer your services as a consultant, to help them see the errors they've made, no?

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Sad that folk prefer to simply believe whatever suits their worldview rather than check the facts....

It's interesting that you write the above because while the following is, on the face of it true:

Registering for VAT with HMRC can be done online and there is no charge from HMRC.

BUT you have to use a commercial software package to interface with the HMRC MTD system. My accountants wanted around a grand a year for this, so I think the complaint is justified.

Now retired I've dropped below the threshold so not sure what the current costs are.

Of course, another way of looking at it is that making it as hard as possible for companies to send goods to the UK will drive up costs enough to make it worthwhile for homegrown companies for fill the gap. (That's assuming Liz Truss' opinion of Brit workers in unjustified)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Also, I have to wonder why proponents of brexit flat out refuse to hear anything against it? Do you honestly expect intelligent people to accept that brexit is perfect? Get real, it came from our government, it has faults.
I agree with the above statement 100%. There was bound to be problems, anyone that expected Brexit to be problem free was over-optimistic (to be excessively kind to them).
But equally you could turn that around and say that opponents of Brexit flat out refuse to believe anything good about it. The response to them would have been similar, ie. you don't believe that the EU was problem free do you?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
It's interesting that you write the above because while the following is, on the face of it true:

BUT you have to use a commercial software package to interface with the HMRC MTD system. My accountants wanted around a grand a year for this, so I think the complaint is justified.

Now retired I've dropped below the threshold so not sure what the current costs are.

Of course, another way of looking at it is that making it as hard as possible for companies to send goods to the UK will drive up costs enough to make it worthwhile for homegrown companies for fill the gap. (That's assuming Liz Truss' opinion of Brit workers in unjustified)
Its 20 quid per month for sage accounts software to allow mtd vat submissions.

There are probably cheaper options out there too. If your accountants were charging you a grand per year purely for some accounting software then that's pretty outrageous pricing. I guess the grand per year also included their services for doing your annual Accounts, tax returns etc etc.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Everyone who voted for Brexshit got one of these;
1609782031600.png

Some of these;
1609782251613.png

And a pair of these;
1609782382007.png

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
But equally you could turn that around and say that opponents of Brexit flat out refuse to believe anything good about it.
I, and many others, would be fucking ecstatic to hear some genuine good news.
The response to them would have been similar, ie. you don't believe that the EU was problem free do you?
I don't know anyone who claims the EU is problem free, but without exception they all think we were better off as a nation on the inside, where we had huge influence, than what is essentially a vassal state outside the EU, but not free of their influence.

Last edited:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
There are probably cheaper options out there too. If your accountants were charging you a grand per year purely for some accounting software then that's pretty outrageous pricing. I guess the grand per year also included their services for doing your annual Accounts, tax returns etc etc.

Nope. The accountants were charging me £135/month for that service already. A good reason for dumping them. Also, my Brit registered company working mainly for a German company doing work in Portugal for delivery to a Libyan client via a Maltese office got a bit too much of a headache for the Germans once they saw which way "Services" were going. So they terminated our arrangement. Thus the problem for me is now moot. :(

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

I don't know anyone who claims the EU is problem free, but without exception they all think we were better off as a nation on the inside, where we had huge influence, than what is essentially a vassal state outside the EU, but not free of their influence.
Its done mate....move on.

Focussing on the issue of obtaining gear from Europe I checked out my favourite suppliers in France, Germany and the Netherlands for Windsurfing gear. None of them had any issues exporting either high or low value items to the UK and the only caveat one of them had was that their shipping agent UPS charged higher prices during the Xmas/New Year holiday period than their normal rates ( to anywhere not just the UK) but they would return to normal shipping rate from Jan 16th onward. Much like the bike market a lot of the gear is made in the far east albeit there are not so many components per item. I think demand has been pretty much normal in 2020 with only the holiday destinations really hit by the pandemic whereas the ability to hit the beach domestically has been largely un affected. So unlike the unprecedented demand in the Bike market. No significant shortages or price hikes.
I make the comparison because Windsurfing much like the EMTB market is a small niche and premium market with multiple suppliers with products focused on constant R and D and performance enhancement and new/better models introduced every year. I think the main difference may be that from the outset the suppliers have dealt with a global market and the main resellers in the UK ship products worldwide.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth

I think you may be a little confused!!
Vassal...."a person or country in a subordinate position to another" ie subordinate to their rules and regulations, which perfectly describes the position of member states of the EU, as opposed to a country like the UK, over which the European Court of Justice has no jurisdiction, that elects its own Government and creates its own laws and fiscal policy, that issues its own currency and monetary policy, that set its own process for control of immigration and control of its borders, that is free to trade globally on mutually agreed terms.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Vassal...."a person or country in a subordinate position to another" ie subordinate to their rules and regulations, which perfectly describes the position of member states of the EU, as opposed to a country like the UK, over which the European Court of Justice has no jurisdiction, that elects its own Government and creates its own laws and fiscal policy, that issues its own currency and monetary policy, that set its own process for control of immigration and control of its borders, that is free to trade globally on mutually agreed terms.
Nope, we've gone from a position of strength within the EU to signing a deal that potentially ties us to their regs without having any say in those regs.

And people like you think we've done a good thing. :rolleyes:

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
So that's yet another resounding "no" to the question "can you name something, anything, good that's come out of Brexit?"
So after 5 days you expect there to be significant benefits, it took 47 years to get the few EU benefits that was on the UK’s plus side, give it another 46 years and 360 days to be fair.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
In 4.5 years there hasn't been anything apart from blue passports and some bollocks about sovereignty. We could have had blue passports at any time. Blue passports that are being made by a French/Dutch company in Poland...
Under the circumstances, you'd expect a half competent government would've awarded the contract to a UK company regardless of any other tenders.

Sovereignty. Ha! Most Brexies can't even spell it, never mind know what it means. So what have we gained that we definitely couldn't have whist still in the EU and how is it a positive?

The "easiest trade deal in history" turned into the first trade deal in history that's made trade more complicated. It's worse than Theresa May's deal that BloHard voted against because it was a poor deal for the UK...
It's not that there's no significant benefits now, it's that no one can come with any that may happen soon, or even ever.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Vassal...."a person or country in a subordinate position to another" ie subordinate to their rules and regulations, which perfectly describes the position of member states of the EU
Jeez...

We were in the Top Three EU states: something like 98% of EU laws that bound on the UK were either suggested by the UK in the first place, or had our 100% agreement - and we had a unique-to-the UK power of veto over most of the the small number we didn't agree with or suggest!

Pretty much the perfect, complete antithesis of "vassalage".

Even the Single Market was the UK's idea..!

Now we have to take all of their rules in order to trade with them - we are 100% rule-takers, not rule-makers, now.

You really need to read up on what "sovereignty" actually means: clue - Nigel Farage and the Daily Mail lied to you.

I despair...

Oh - and it's Sweet FA to do with being a "Europhile", either: but it's everything to do with recognising a good thing when I see it, and knowing where we're best off.

Last edited:

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
So after 5 days you expect there to be significant benefits, it took 47 years to get the few EU benefits that was on the UK’s plus side, give it another 46 years and 360 days to be fair.
But that's precisely what we were promised - we'd be up and running, in better shape than we'd ever previously been, from Day One.

Are you telling us now that Brexit was based on a pack of lies?

Because - you know - some of us already knew that...

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Try to keep the conversation on bikes! This forum is not here for remoaners tantrums. The OP was a bout whether to order from Europe now or after Brexit. The question has timed out now of course but the same buying criterea applies in any case. Buy from a supplier you can trust to provide good service now and in the future for warranty, and one that provides good value for money. If they cannot or will not export to the UK that is their loss but would also , at least for me, ring warning bells about the proficiency of their business model.

Pyr0

E*POWAH Master
Sep 22, 2019
Wirral, UK
“Furthermore, we can confirm that UK-made Brooks England products are shipped directly from the Brooks England factory in Smethwick to Extra UK’s warehouse, and not via Selle Royal’s HQ in Italy.

Rest assured that availability of Brooks England products in the UK through its UK distributor, Extra UK, remains unchanged.”

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
Well I have had a parcel (from Poland) sit in Dartford Fedex for the last 7days no explanation why (I assume backlog), no way to find out tracking saying 'truck has departed before parcel has been processed' since the 28th

It's part of a kickstarter project all of the UK backers whose parcels have landed in Dartford (first stop in the UK) are in the same boat. It just shows how fragile this systems are and I can understand why a (bike) vendor would be unwilling to send anything (valuable) that might end up floating about a warehouse for a week.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles