Wait for Norco Range VLT or buy Giant Trance X E+ now?

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
I’ve had a Norco Range VLT A2 on preorder since august. The arrival date keeps getting pushed back and my LBS has no idea when it will arrive. I’ve been pretty patient about it but was just checking out other bikes out of curiosity. Turns out there’s a Giant Trance X E+ Pro 29 1 local to me available now. I know these are different bikes. The Norco is full enduro and the Giant is trail oriented. The Giant has a significantly better spec and slightly cheaper but a smaller battery (625wh) with their proprietary Yamaha system which I’ve heard good things about. The Norco is a full on enduro rig with a coil shock, shimano EP8 and comes with the 900Wh battery. Realistically idk that I’d take long enough rides to ever need the 900Wh battery but it’s definitely nice to have.

I honestly don’t mind waiting a bit longer but looking at the build of the Giant compared to the Norco it’s Deore drivetrain and mid range rockshox suspension vs xt/xtr drive train and higher end Fox suspension on the Giant. But I lose a good amount of travel. Truthfully I never blow through my travel on my 160f/140r bike now.

help me make a decision!

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
Depends on how bad you have the itch? Waiting is harder than riding I find. A bird in hand and all that....

TPEHAK

Nov 23, 2020
USA Seattle WA
You are choosing between the less reliable motor with bigger battery and the more reliable motor with smaller battery.

I would wait when there will be bicycles with Yamaha motor with 1000Wh battery.

Swiftdaddy

Aug 14, 2021
You are choosing between the less reliable motor with bigger battery and the more reliable motor with smaller battery.

I would wait when there will be bicycles with Yamaha motor with 1000Wh battery.

hmm maybe a bit less reliable I guess but I would argue that shimano parts are more widely available and worst case I think it would be relatively easy to replace vs a proprietary motor especially once out of warranty. I struggled with propriety parts on my 2011 stumpjumper. That damn brain shock…. But thanks, something to consider as well.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles