Broken port on Shimano BT-E8010 battery

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
I'm unclear on one thing: What again is stopping you from plugging the charger into the new battery port? Is there something in the way--a piece of crushed plastic or something? (By the way, the ¼" of plastic that appears to be missing? I'm almost certain it's an alignment slot for a tab on the charger plug.).

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
I'm unclear on one thing: What again is stopping you from plugging the charger into the new battery port? Is there something in the way. (By the way, the ¼" of plastic that appears to be missing? I'm almost certain it's an alignment slot for the tab on the charger.")

Jumpylegs

Feb 8, 2023
Leyburn, North Yorkshire
I'm unclear on one thing: What again is stopping you from plugging the charger into the new battery port? Is there something in the way--a piece of crushed plastic or something? (By the way, the ¼" of plastic that appears to be missing? I'm almost certain it's an alignment slot for a tab on the charger plug.).
You can plug it in but it doesn’t charge! As I explained this is a photo of the original battery…the one we bought when this was was broken is not as bad. And yes that plugs in but again won’t charge.

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
You can plug it in but it doesn’t charge! As I explained this is a photo of the original battery…the one we bought when this was was broken is not as bad. And yes that plugs in but again won’t charge.
Okay, now this is something new. If the plug is connecting securely--i.e. the terminals are contacting each other like they're supposed to--and it's still not charging, then the problem is electrical. How do you know it's not charging? Have you plugged it in for hours and gotten no charge? Does the little light on the charger come on when it's plugged in to power and to the battery and "should" be charging?

AnnMcC

Apr 14, 2023
sydney
Hi everyone, I am desperately looking for some help with regards to a 2nd broken port on this battery rendering my husband’s bike utterly useless. We accepted responsibility for the original breakage on the first battery and so paid out £570 for a replacement battery. Alas…on only the 5th charging the port has yet again broken…it’s about 1/4” of the plastic that has disappeared. I can honestly say that we have treated the charging process with utter respect and have never rammed the charger in as we have been accused of doing. Shimano refuse to exchange the battery under their guarantee?
I’ve read on here that the charging port can be replaced…and yes I am aware that Shimano do not provide replacement ports. I believe it’s a case of extracting a port from a used battery. But I have also read that you can use a satellite port??? I have seen the device advertised but I wouldn’t have a clue as to how this would work.
My husband suffers from Alzheimer’s and is almost 80 years old. However, he is extremely fit and been a cyclist for over 40 years. It is only in the last six months that he has bought the Merida power assisted bike.
Please if anyone has any idea how we can be helped, we would both be extremely grateful. Cycling is Alan’s touch with reality…I can’t bear to see that taken away from him.
Finally, if you have read right to the bottom of this post….thankyou!
Hi
i just wanted to let you know I have had the same problem with a damaged port. My battery was 2 years 5 months old and like you have minded it and always charged it and kept it indoors. Shimano also suggested that it was user error which I dispute . I am attaching a picture to help gather evidence about this issue . After much engagement - Shimano offered me ( as a gesture of goodwill ) a used battery which had less use than my original battery which i felt was a fair outcome. I suggest you contact Consumer Affairs as i think the Battery port may not be fit for purpose . I also think it is not good environmentally that the port cannot be replaced and the only option is to buy a new battery which is very costly

picture of port .jpg

philipgaines

Nov 6, 2022
San Diego, California
Hi
i just wanted to let you know I have had the same problem with a damaged port. My battery was 2 years 5 months old and like you have minded it and always charged it and kept it indoors. Shimano also suggested that it was user error which I dispute . I am attaching a picture to help gather evidence about this issue . After much engagement - Shimano offered me ( as a gesture of goodwill ) a used battery which had less use than my original battery which i felt was a fair outcome. I suggest you contact Consumer Affairs as i think the Battery port may not be fit for purpose . I also think it is not good environmentally that the port cannot be replaced and the only option is to buy a new battery which is very costly

View attachment 114614
This is a most baffling situation. The damage here is extreme. This plastic is very hard and resistant to breakage, so what on earth is happening?! Was there a fire or at least some arcing while the plug was connected? My socket is exactly the same, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how this kind of damage could occur...

AnnMcC

Apr 14, 2023
sydney
This is a most baffling situation. The damage here is extreme. This plastic is very hard and resistant to breakage, so what on earth is happening?! Was there a fire or at least some arcing while the plug was connected? My socket is exactly the same, and for the life of me, I can't imagine how this kind of damage could occur...
Hi
That is what I thought - nothing to alert me that there was an issue. No history of anything unusual - charger port is perfect . No overheating or anything unusual.. just one day the battery wouldn't charge . I have always taken the a battery off to recharge and do so inside - and never overnight . There is only one way to plug it in so I am not sure what error I have made to cause this damage ( Shimano says user error)

CJ1411crai

Aug 10, 2023
wellington
Hi Jumpy
I have the exact same problem, unfortunately I can not offer a solution but might be able to shed some light on the cause. We have had 2 Synch bikes, with the same battery, for over 3 years. The other day I went to remove the battery from the bike and for some reason instead of putting the key in the key hole I put it in the battery port! I obviously realised my error and using the key correctly I removed the battery. Unfortunately that was enough to damage the battery port in the same way yours is damaged and it no longer charges. I am normally a sane sensible fairly competent individual, but with a lack of concentration and brain on autopilot its easily done! $1200 later its an expensive mistake!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles